Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: ClanRam Insiders Mock Draft - Official Discussion Thread

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: ClanRam Insiders Mock Draft - Official Discussion Thread

The only problem I have with Zach Brown is that he has drawn comparisons to Aaron Curry. However, the difference is that we aren't drafting Brown in the top 10 and paying him a ton of money.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    The only problem I have with Zach Brown is that he has drawn comparisons to Aaron Curry.
    I actually have a theory on that.

A lot of the "experts" (guys like Rang and Cosell) who have criticized Brown were among the biggest supporters of Curry when he was a draft prospect. They feel like they were burned by Curry's failure, and now have egg on their face, so they are taking it out on Brown.

The bottom line is that Curry and Brown are different people. Maybe Curry doesn't have the drive to succeed. Maybe he was in the wrong system. Maybe he hated Seattle. Maybe he was distracted by depression over an ex-girlfriend. Maybe he just wanted to get paid.

Every objective measure (size, speed, production) suggests that Brown is a good prospect. At pick #39, he's a good value.
    Rambos and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Not to mention the last few drafts have been pretty liight on good 4-3 OLBs. Take em when you can get em!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I don't have a problem with the pick per se and i think AV is correct for sticking to his draft board, especially since LB is clearly a position of significant need for us. The concern i have about his "production" is the level of competition. As a longstanding ACC fan and season ticket holder, i find the level of play in the conference to be mediocre at best compared to the SEC. Thus, statistics make me suspect. There are of course any number of ACC players that have done very well in the NFL, i just worry that statistics are in material part of function of the level of player you are playing against.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Dangit, I was hoping Jeffery would of laster one more pick, oh well.

richtree is offline Registered User

26. Houston Texans: Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina

I can't see anyway that Houston would pass on WR here with Randle, Sanu, Hill, Jones and Jeffery all available....

Houston let Mario Wiliams walk because their defense did a fine job without him....If you want to add depth in a pass rusher you can clearly do that in round 2 or 3....

WR for the Texans is probably the highest priory and secondary help would be next...

I cant see how you can validate this pick

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

I can't see anyway that Houston would pass on WR here with Randle, Sanu, Hill, Jones and Jeffery all available....

Houston let Mario Wiliams walk because their defense did a fine job without him....If you want to add depth in a pass rusher you can clearly do that in round 2 or 3....

WR for the Texans is probably the highest priory and secondary help would be next...

I think many would argue that Ingram is a better prospect than the WRs you mentioned so, if the approach is BPA, its not that hard to validate.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

Houston let Mario walk because his contract demands were high and his production could be adequately replaced for cheaper while addressing other areas with the saved money.

Ingram represented too great a value to reach for 2nd round receivers when you have a top 15 pass-rusher staring you in the face. It's not like the Texans are without weapons, they have Johnson and Foster. They have offensive weapons and defensive pass-rushers, so it's splitting hairs over what which to supplement with more depth. Would the Texans deal up for Ingram? No, I doubt it. Would they take him if he was sitting there at 26 over the WRs that were left? I'd say yes.

Hill is the only potential 1st round receiver in that group, in my book, and he is raw and probably can't contribute much next year anyway. If they are looking for immediate help, Hill won't do much for them. They can also draft developmental receivers later.

I don't see why the Texans would pass-up on one of the best pass-rushers in the draft to take those WRs.
    HUbison likes this.

With the 41st pick in the 2012 ClanRam Insiders Mock Draft, the Buffalo Bills select....

Muhamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers

Even with Stevie Johnson signing an extension, the Bills don't have much else at WR. They also resigned Derek Hagan but he's a #3 wr at best. Chan Gailey likes the passing game and adding more weapons to boost the offense is greatly needed. Sanu is a physical specimen at 6 foot 2 and 218 pounds. He looks the part of a NFL wide receiver on the field. He is an intelligent player, especially good at finding holes in zone defenses. The biggest issue with Sanu is that he isn't the most special player. He does not have elite speed, size, separation skills or aerial ability. Questions about his athleticism aside, a versatile, smart player such as Sanu should be able to find a niche at the next level.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    With the 41st pick in the 2012 ClanRam Insiders Mock Draft, the Buffalo Bills select....

Muhamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers

Even with Stevie Johnson signing an extension, the Bills don't have much else at WR. They also resigned Derek Hagan but he's a #3 wr at best. Chan Gailey likes the passing game and adding more weapons to boost the offense is greatly needed. Sanu is a physical specimen at 6 foot 2 and 218 pounds. He looks the part of a NFL wide receiver on the field. He is an intelligent player, especially good at finding holes in zone defenses. The biggest issue with Sanu is that he isn't the most special player. He does not have elite speed, size, separation skills or aerial ability. Questions about his athleticism aside, a versatile, smart player such as Sanu should be able to find a niche at the next level.

Wrong spot dude! You're gonna let the time expire and lose your pick!

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Wrong spot dude! You're gonna let the time expire and lose your pick!
    Nah, that won't happen. This isn't the Minnesota Vikings.

Wooops, sorry about that, can a mod please move it for me? I was in a rush to turn it in and put it in wrong section and dont have access to my computer at the moment. Using tapatalk to write this. If not i guess id understand losing my pick .

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Wooops, sorry about that, can a mod please move it for me? I was in a rush to turn it in and put it in wrong section and dont have access to my computer at the moment. Using tapatalk to write this. If not i guess id understand losing my pick .
    I doubt you're losing anything. I was just messing around

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Tomahawk?!?!? Where you at, man?!?!?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Houston let Mario walk because his contract demands were high and his production could be adequately replaced for cheaper while addressing other areas with the saved money.

Ingram represented too great a value to reach for 2nd round receivers when you have a top 15 pass-rusher staring you in the face. It's not like the Texans are without weapons, they have Johnson and Foster. They have offensive weapons and defensive pass-rushers, so it's splitting hairs over what which to supplement with more depth. Would the Texans deal up for Ingram? No, I doubt it. Would they take him if he was sitting there at 26 over the WRs that were left? I'd say yes.

Hill is the only potential 1st round receiver in that group, in my book, and he is raw and probably can't contribute much next year anyway. If they are looking for immediate help, Hill won't do much for them. They can also draft developmental receivers later.

I don't see why the Texans would pass-up on one of the best pass-rushers in the draft to take those WRs.
    I and most Texans fans would disagree with you and your idea. The reasons Mario Williams left the Texans is because #1 Wyatt and others played admirably without him #2 He wanted too much money for his production value.

If you ask a Texans fan what are the main reason(s) why your team is not competing at the highest level, their responses are usually:

#1 not an elite QB in Schaub (but good enough)
    #2 secondary has been horrible
    #3 Offensive weapons end after AJ and Foster

Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones are bumms....Walter doesn't stay healthy and the Texans were often forced to rotate TEs in Wide Receiver roles over the last 2 years.

If the Rams were playing in Texans tomorrow in the super bowl, and they could only add 1 player to their roster:

Ingram or Hill/Wright -- which would make them a more dangerous team.....

You are saying this guy Ingram is so great, but you say how bad the WRs are....that just seems that you like Ingram.....
    Everyone knows I follow WRs closely, but I would also argue that Secondary help would be a higher priority than a pass rusher..

THE TEXANS HAD THE #2 RANKED DEFENSE IN THE NFL LAST YEAR WITHOUT MARIO WILLIAMS
    AND 6TH MOST SACKS IN THE LEAGUE

In fact you can argue that the only weakness of the team was the PASSING OFFENSE based on stats

I am willing to make a friendly wager that the Texans go WR or CB and you can have OLB or DE in Round 1