Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By TekeRam
  • 3 Post By berg8309
  • 2 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By lostsoul
  • 1 Post By berg8309

Thread: Clark Judge: Rams should listen to offers for No. 2 pick, and taIke highest bidder

Rammed is offline Registered User

Clark Judge: Rams should listen to offers for No. 2 pick, and taIke highest bidder

The St. Louis Rams say they'll listen to all inquiries for their first-round draft pick, the second overall, and they should. Then I suggest they take more step.
    Take the highest bidder.
    Because the people interested in the second pick most likely are interested in Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III, the next best thing to Andrew Luck, and that can mean only one thing: They're willing to overpay to acquire him.
    So let them.
    It happened in 1998 when San Diego, then sitting third, coveted the second pick so dearly that the Chargers paid two firsts, a second and three-time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf to move one spot.
    Then they chose Ryan Leaf. You win some, you lose some and some just plain disintegrate.
    But this year's second pick of the draft is more valuable for a couple of reasons: 1) You're not investing the enormous sums of guaranteed money that was involved prior to the latest collective bargaining agreement, and 2) there are, for the first time since 2004, two elite quarterbacks on the board.
    Luck is one; Griffin is the other.
    You won't get Luck. But you may get Griffin. One problem: This may be the first year since 1999 that quarterbacks go 1-2 in the draft, which means it's never too early to start cementing relationships with the new front office in St. Louis.
    Griffin is on the short lists of a cluster of quarterback-needy clubs that should be eager -- OK, desperate -- to draft him. But the Rams trade only if they feel secure at quarterback, and they should.
    They have Sam Bradford, the first pick of the 2010 draft, and, yeah, I know, this administration and this head coach didn't choose him. But I don't care. It's too soon to flush the guy. Besides, he was the best quarterback in the NFC West his rookie season.
    Granted, he went backward in 2011, but that happens when you have an offensive line that can't pass protect, receivers who can't catch and injuries that won't quit. Give him a break. No, give him a chance.
    The Rams will. Remember, when he took over as head coach, Jeff Fisher mentioned Bradford as one of the reasons the job was so attractive -- saying he thought he had "a chance to be great." That doesn't sound like someone looking for his next quarterback.
    Which means there's no need to start looking at RGIII.
    It also means the Rams can afford to entertain offers for the second overall pick, especially when they include two firsts, a second and more. The Rams need offensive linemen, wide receivers and another running back, and you can get all of them with a raft of draft choices. And you can get a raft of draft choices by holding an auction for the second spot in the draft.
    Washington should be interested. So should Miami. And maybe, just maybe, Cleveland. All have top 10 draft picks. But the Browns are the most fascinating because they have two first-round selections, which means they have ammunition to outbid the competition -- provided, of course, they're interested, which they should be.
    Even if they're not, someone will, and the Rams owe it to themselves to find out who that someone is.
    But I'm suggesting they don't stop there. I'm suggesting they take the best offer on the table because what's the alternative –- Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon? USC tackle Ryan Kalil? Alabama running back Trent Richardson? All are possible picks at that position, but the Rams could do better, much better, with what they gain in return for the second choice.
    When the New York Jets moved up to the fifth position of the 2009 draft to choose Mark Sanchez they traded Cleveland their first (the 17th overall pick) and second-round choices, plus three veterans.
    The Jets got off easily. The Rams won't be as considerate -- nor should they be. They can sit where they are and help their club, or they can make a deal and help their club more.
    My guess is there will be a tsunami of interest for Griffin. He's accurate. He's productive. He's smart. He's responsible. He's the Heisman Trophy winner. And he's going to be someone's starter next season. Only I don't think that someone is St. Louis.
    The Rams can win with Bradford, and they proved it in 2010 when they came within one win of the playoffs –- falling short with a loss to Seattle on the last day of the season. So give the guy help, and you can start with the draft.
    "They're going to ask for the moon," said one GM, "and they should. Because maybe you get a Raider deal."
    Oh, yeah, I forget about that one. The Oakland Raiders were so hot for Carson Palmer –- who was out of football at the time -– that they offered Cincinnati two draft picks that became a first and conditional second-rounder. Basically, the Raiders made Bengals' owner Mike Brown a deal he couldn't refuse.
    A trade for the chance to draft RGIII, who is unproven but who has an enormous upside, almost surely starts with two ones, a pair of twos and goes from there –- with the Rams allowing all suitors to play tennis, one trying to outbid the other.
    "What we do," Fisher told the*St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "will define the future of this franchise moving forward."
    I couldn't agree more. The question, of course, is this: Is that with Blackmon, Richardson or Kalil, or is it with a package of high draft picks that includes several first and second rounders?
    I think you know the answer. I think the Rams do, too.

GolfnRAMFAN is online now Registered User

Re: Clark Judge: Rams should listen to offers for No. 2 pick, and taIke highest bidde

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    The St. Louis Rams say they'll listen to all inquiries for their first-round draft pick, the second overall, and they should. Then I suggest they take more step.
    Take the highest bidder.
    Haha, this guy really has some innovative ideas! I'm sure this was news to everybody!

Seriously though, I hope the Rams do find the best suitor for the pick and are able to rebuild the franchise in one year!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Clark Judge: Rams should listen to offers for No. 2 pick, and taIke highest bidde

Golfn, I think the author's point was that they need to throw out going the "safe" direction and maybe settling for just the Browns' 2 firsts and hoping to get their Blackmon and eat it too.

The Rams need to trade down with whomever is going to give them the most. No matter where we end up picking in the first round. If New England wants to give us three 1sts and three 2nds, well, why the hell not. They'll probably all be low, but that's why they need to pay up.

Blackmon could be the next Megatron, or he could be the next Crabtree. We don't know. But if we get a metric crapton of picks for that one, the chances of finding an all-pro or two go way up. I'm all for Blackmon, I think he can be great. But I'll be much more happy to take Floyd and Konz and a few other guys if I can.
    RuffRams likes this.
    I believe!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Next thing you know he'll be throwing out even crazier ideas, such as "Draft players who can actually compete at an NFL level" or "Score more points than the other team" hmph, this guy is nuts. Don't listen to him.
    thoey, THOLTFAN81 and lostsoul like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Teke
    But if we get a metric crapton of picks
    Remember to use your legs when lifting a metric crapton, cause it's real easy to throw out your back otherwise.
    TekeRam and RuffRams like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I hope the Rams can pull this off. If the Rams trade back and manage to nab Trent Richardson, Ill be a happy man. Richardson is an impressive individual. He would mesh well with Fishers persona, and would be a great fit for our team. Use free agency to grab a big name for Bradford.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-16-2012 at 03:45 PM.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Its hard to take someone seriously about the draft when they say "USC Tackle Ryan Kalil."
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I hope the Rams can pull this off. If the Rams trade back and manage to nab Trent Richardson, Ill be a happy man. Richardson is an impressive individual. He would mesh well with Fishers persona, and would be a great fit for our team. Use free agency to grab a big name for Bradford.?
    meh I don't want Richardson. He's great but I just don't believe in taking running backs in the top 6 or 7. Claiborne, Blackmon, and Kalil are all just highly rated as Richardson but are at actual positions of need.

I think we all are hoping that we make a deal with the Browns and get the 4th and 22nd pick. That way we can take a top wr and tackle both in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Remember to use your legs when lifting a metric crapton, cause it's real easy to throw out your back otherwise.
    I was hoping someone would spot this and make a comment!
    I believe!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I think what he meant was that it is in the rams best interest to trade the pick rather than keep it if a good deal is offered. Just as the opposite was when we drafted Bradford, keeping the pick and getting the guy we couldn't get later was the better option.
    Rammed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    meh I don't want Richardson. He's great but I just don't believe in taking running backs in the top 6 or 7. Claiborne, Blackmon, and Kalil are all just highly rated as Richardson but are at actual positions of need.

I think we all are hoping that we make a deal with the Browns and get the 4th and 22nd pick. That way we can take a top wr and tackle both in the first round.
    Do you think it would be smart going into the year, with a rookie WR as Bradford's No.1 target. They could go a million ways in the draft, because need might as well be irrelevant on this roster.? BPA baby.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-17-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Do you think it would be smart going into the year, with a rookie WR as Bradford's No.1 target. They could go a million ways in the draft, because need might as well be irrelevant on this roster.? BPA baby.
    Well, considering how some people are suggesting that our three rookie receivers get the boot because they didn't step off the bus as pro-bowlers, no, it would be foolhardy to have a rookie as Sam's number one target.

That's why Amendola will be back. I'm also hoping that we get a worthwhile X or Z starter in free agency(notice that I said "get a worthwhile", not "break the bank for a" )and then are able to draft his counterpart in the first or second round. Having a 4-6 rotation of Salas, Pettis, and Alexander would then give us both outside and slot coverage for injuries and hopefully one of the two second year guys starts showing something that suggests the typical third year breakout will happen.
    I believe!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Teke
    That's why Amendola will be back.
    Additionally, I assume Clayton will be ready to go.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I would be wonderful if they could think bigger, but sometimes the TOP players just are not their to be had.? Im still clinging to the idea, that Bradford and the O, will improve their game, just because of the switch in systems. So it wouldn't be the end of the world, if Bradford's best WR was a No.1 draft pick. Just as long as he is better receiver, than Brandon Lloyd. Id like the Rams to get away from replacing like for like every year, but again, the bottom line is talent evaluation. If the Rams become more efficient in this area, and the Rams didn't have these giant voids to fill, all the time. Then, maybe they could become more aggressive in free agency and the draft.?? Because the players are out there to be found, if you know what your doing.?
    It is a shame that Lloyd will ask for stupid money, as he was just getting familiar with Sam. But he is what I call very bad business anyway. Lets turn the next page, onwards and upwards, I say.