Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shower beers is offline Registered User

Clausen to enter draft

I'm sure this excites a lot of you here...

per ESPN:

Jimmy Clausen enrolled at Notre Dame to learn about the NFL. Looks like he's learned enough.
    Following the advice of deposed Irish coach Charlie Weis, Clausen has decided to forgo his senior season and enter this April's draft. Rated as perhaps the top quarterback in this year's class, he is believed to be coveted by St. Louis, Cleveland and Washington -- three teams that will conceivably pick in the top 5.

Coach Weis told me whether he was going to be here or not be here, it was time for me to go. He thought I've improved so much since I came to Notre Dame. So, I'm taking his advice, and I'm going to head out.
    -- Jimmy Clausen
    "After the season, in talking to my parents and obviously Coach Weis, I just feel it's the right time,'' Clausen told ESPN.com on Monday before a scheduled 2 p.m. ET news conference in South Bend. "Coach Weis told me whether he was going to be here or not be here, it was time for me to go. He thought I've improved so much since I came to Notre Dame. So, I'm taking his advice, and I'm going to head out.''

The consensus No 1 high school recruit in the country three years ago, Clausen chose Notre Dame over USC solely because of Weis' NFL pedigree. Weis -- who tutored both Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe in New England -- assured Clausen he would prepare him best for the pro game, and Clausen rewarded the coach with a spectacular junior season.

He completed 68 percent of his passes, and threw 28 touchdowns with only four interceptions -- three of which were tipped. Weis has told NFL scouts that Clausen "didn't miss a read all year," and particularly raved about his accuracy and personal growth.

As a freshman, coming off of elbow surgery, Clausen weighed only 190 pounds and played behind a porous offensive line. He was vilified during that year's 3-9 season, but bounced back as a sophomore to lead Notre Dame to its first bowl victory since 1994 (over Hawaii). In the offseason before his junior year, he invited several Irish receivers to his home in Westlake Village, Calif., and the bonding experience paid off. He was picked as a team captain, and ended up throwing 24 of his touchdowns to wide receivers Golden Tate and Michael Floyd.

The Irish slumped to a 6-6 finish, and Clausen was sucker-punched by a fan outside of a South Bend bar after a devastating overtime loss to Connecticut. But six days later, he threw for 340 yards and five touchdowns at Stanford, and his ability to persevere is why several general managers, who have requested anonymity, believe he is the most NFL-ready quarterback in this year's draft. They say he's already mastered an NFL offense, has already been subjected to a leaky offensive line and has already been part of a rebuilding process. They like that he played his entire college career on national TV and that he thrived in one of the biggest fishbowls in sports: Notre Dame.

"The scrutiny of being the quarterback at Notre Dame and the head coach at Notre Dame is tough," said Clausen, who is 6-foot-3, 225 pounds. "And I think it'll prepare me really well for the next level."

Clausen's other advantage, according to scouts, is that he's already 22 and has already been away from home to play football -- meaning the transition to the pro-lifestyle won't be an issue. The other top-rated quarterbacks in the upcoming draft -- Sam Bradford of Oklahoma and Colt McCoy of Texas, to name two -- went to college in their home states.
    "I don't think I could've gone to a better place to get prepared to play than under someone like Coach Weis," Clausen said. "The NFL is something I've always wanted to do since I was a little kid growing up. It's just a dream come true, and I'm just having a great time right now.

"It'll probably be just like going from high school to college, but a lot faster than college is. Obviously, being under Coach Weis, being in a pro-style offense, knowing the terminologies, will help me. But the biggest thing will probably be just getting in the playbook and mentally preparing myself to do everything I can to get on the field as quick as I can and help whichever team I go to win."

Tom Friend is a senior writer for ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Clausen to enter draft

Whether we take him or not, this is great news. The QB pool is that much deeper now so we can have more options. Hopefully Golden Tate will come out of college with him so the wr pool will be deeper also.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Doesn't affect me at all. Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. I am not impressed at all by what he shown in games. Would much rather get Suh and then a Qb in the 2nd (Pike, McCoy)

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Adam Schefter is reporting that Golden Tate will be entering the draft too.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Fine, let someone like Miami start the QB bidding. Or whomever, as long as it isn't the Rams.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

What is with the Claussen bashing. Lets say the Rams win another game. Lets say Cleveland or Tampa don't win a game, we aren't going to have the first overall pick. What is stopping Cleveland with an improving Brady Quinn from getting the clear cut best player in the draft? What is stopping Tampa they have their franchise QB and nothing?

Too many people are bashing Claussen just, because Suh is in the picture. Don't get me wrong I want Suh just as much as the next guy, but what if he isn't available what then. I would like to see some substantial reasoning why some people are calling Claussen a bum. In the top 5 plan B is most likely going to be a QB and I like Claussen.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    What is with the Claussen bashing. Lets say the Rams win another game. Lets say Cleveland or Tampa don't win a game, we aren't going to have the first overall pick. What is stopping Cleveland with an improving Brady Quinn from getting the clear cut best player in the draft? What is stopping Tampa they have their franchise QB and nothing?

Too many people are bashing Claussen just, because Suh is in the picture. Don't get me wrong I want Suh just as much as the next guy, but what if he isn't available what then. I would like to see some substantial reasoning why some people are calling Claussen a bum. In the top 5 plan B is most likely going to be a QB and I like Claussen.
    It's not that I want Suh or nothing. I just don't like Claussen period. He reminds me too much of Brady Quinn. Over hyped player. I don't like what Claussen brings to the table. He seems to not be able to play in the clutch situations where it matters. To be honest, I am not really high on any of the first round quarterbacks. The only top tier quarterback that I like is Colt McCoy, and I think he'll be there in the second round.

As for your other question of what if Suh isn't there and we can't trade out,I would not be opposed to drafting to someone like Dez Bryant.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    It's not that I want Suh or nothing. I just don't like Claussen period. He reminds me too much of Brady Quinn. Over hyped player. I don't like what Claussen brings to the table. He seems to not be able to play in the clutch situations where it matters. To be honest, I am not really high on any of the first round quarterbacks. The only top tier quarterback that I like is Colt McCoy, and I think he'll be there in the second round.

As for your other question of what if Suh isn't there and we can't trade out,I would not be opposed to drafting to someone like Dez Bryant.
    I really dont understand why so many people say Claussen can't perform in clutch situations when this season he had more 4th quarter comebacks Jake Locker, Tim Teebow, Colt McCoy, and Sam Bradford (last year) combined. Besides both playing at ND Quinn and Claussen are completely different players.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

personally i by no circumstances want a quarterback in the first round. i think that is the round where we need to draft the best guy there. then in the second round we shop around for a quarterback or somly pick a chad pennington or something up in free agency. we need raw talent on this depleted roster BAD. Suh, Mccoy(DT), or Dez Bryant with our first pick

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    personally i by no circumstances want a quarterback in the first round. i think that is the round where we need to draft the best guy there. then in the second round we shop around for a quarterback or somly pick a chad pennington or something up in free agency. we need raw talent on this depleted roster BAD. Suh, Mccoy(DT), or Dez Bryant with our first pick
    This is exactly my opinion. We need talent more then anything. Get BPA in the first(suh,G.McCoy,Bryant)then pick up a FA QB or C.McCoy,Pike, in the 2nd.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

we should pretty much be going bpa every round, unless it's a halfback, left end or mlb in the first 2.

TheRammer Guest

Clausen is a very ready QB and if we don't go Suh we should take Clausen and take Weis as OC !!!!

AlwaysBackwards is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    Clausen is a very ready QB and if we don't go Suh we should take Clausen and take Weis as OC !!!!
    i like this idea!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If we happen to screw up and win a game (which I doubt) if Berry is on the board at the same time as Clausen, I'd go with Berry. If Bryant is on the board at the same time as Clausen, I'd go with Bryant. However if Suh is gone and Gerald McCoy is there along with Clausen, if the Rams select Clausen over McCoy I will never, ever follow another draft by the Rams.

I don't really now, but if they pick a QB over a stud DT this year that's it for me when it comes to the Rams and the War Room.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -12-08-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    I would rather have Shumur back as our OC then the man who helped cheat us out of another superbowl. That man should never be a ram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast