AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Clausen probably wouldn't have fallen to the Rams, and other random thoughts

Here are my random thoughts following Day 1 of the draft:
    • I have no regrets about not waiting for Clausen. First, I think Bradford will be a much better QB. Second, had the Rams taken Suh, I think there is a very good chance that the Vikings would have taken Clausen in round 1, rather than trading down to pick #34. If Clausen goes to Minnesota with that pick, I'll be fairly certain I'm right.
    • So Denver has Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow? Well, if you could chop them up and surgically combine all their best parts I guess you'd have something close to John Elway, but I think doing so would violate league rules.
    • If the Rams don't trade down, I'm torn between four players. If the Rams want an offensive playmaker, it has to be Golden Tate. If they want a defensive playmaker (and they think he could fit in a 4-3, it has to be Sergio Kindle. If they want a guy who can come in and immediately fill a significant hole, they should consider Everson Griffen. If they want someone to help protect Bradford, I'd go with Vladimir Ducasse. I'd be fine with any of those picks.
    • I don't know if it will happen, but a trade of Osi Umenyiora to the Rams makes a lot of sense now that the Giants have Jason Pierre-Paul.
    • One of the happiest moments for me in the first round was when C.J. Spiller went to the Bills instead of one of the Rams' divisional foes.
    • An Eagles fan at my draft party, along with my brother (who was texting me from Arkansas during the draft), were miffed, to say the least, when the Eagles traded up, not for Earl Thomas, but for Brandon Graham. Quote from my brother "Next they're going to trade their second round pick for Kate Gossilen and three of her daughters."
    • Brian Bulaga went to the right team. He looks like a Packer. In fact, his nickname should be "meat."
    • At the start of the night, I announced at my party that I thought Demaryius Thomas would be selected before Dez Bryant. One of my better predictions (and I had some bad ones too).
    • While I have no beef whatsoever with those who wish the Rams selected Suh, I hope this won't become a lingering issue. Rams fans should, of course, get firmly behind Sam Bradford. The "fans" that irk me the most are those who - before Bradford has played a single down in the NFL - are saying he's a horrible pick, he's going to be a bust, and this is just more of the same from a bad franchise. If I was that down on the team,and so devoid of hope, I'd probably just stop following football. After all... this is supposed to be fun, right?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Clausen probably wouldn't have fallen to the Rams, and other random thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here are my random thoughts following Day 1 of the draft:
    • I have no regrets about not waiting for Clausen. First, I think Bradford will be a much better QB. Second, had the Rams taken Suh, I think there is a very good chance that the Vikings would have taken Clausen in round 1, rather than trading down to pick #34. If Clausen goes to Minnesota with that pick, I'll be fairly certain I'm right.

He probably wouldn't have lasted, but would you have given our 4th rounder to move up to 29, if it meant we would get him and Suh? I'm not saying that would have been what it cost, but looking at the other trades, I think it makes sense. I would have.

If the Rams don't trade down, I'm torn between four players. If the Rams want an offensive playmaker, it has to be Golden Tate. If they want a defensive playmaker (and they think he could fit in a 4-3, it has to be Sergio Kindle. If they want a guy who can come in and immediately fill a significant hole, they should consider Everson Griffen. If they want someone to help protect Bradford, I'd go with Vladimir Ducasse. I'd be fine with any of those picks.
    I agree that Tate makes sense if we go offense, and I reallly like Kindle as a possible pick for the defense as well. I think we can play him as a SAM and situational DE like the Giants did with Kiwanuka... which leads to...
    I don't know if it will happen, but a trade of Osi Umenyiora to the Rams makes a lot of sense now that the Giants have Jason Pierre-Paul.
    I'd give our 4th easily for Osi. Assuming that we're confident in his health.

• While I have no beef whatsoever with those who wish the Rams selected Suh, I hope this won't become a lingering issue. Rams fans should, of course, get firmly behind Sam Bradford. The "fans" that irk me the most are those who - before Bradford has played a single down in the NFL - are saying he's a horrible pick, he's going to be a bust, and this is just more of the same from a bad franchise. If I was that down on the team,and so devoid of hope, I'd probably just stop following football. After all... this is supposed to be fun, right?
    I very much wish that we'd picked Suh, and especially now that it looks like we could have fairly easily grabbed Clausen or McCoy with a slight trade up, or just by sitting there. That said, I am fully behind Bradford for being happy to be a Ram, think he's a good face of the franchise, and hope to death that he becomes a pro bowl player, because otherwise, I think the pick will be questioned. If he leads us to the playoffs, it's a solid pick. Let's go make sure that it's a solid pick!
    I believe!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Clausen probably wouldn't have fallen to the Rams, and other random thoughts

One other interesting thought...

On opening day in 2011 (assuming there is no lockout), these could very well be the starting QBs in the NFC West:

Seahawks: Charlie Whitehurst
    Niners: Alex Smith
    Cardinals: Matt Leinart
    Rams: Sam Bradford

I don't know about you, but I like the looks of that.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Hell, that could be the starting lineup in 2010, depending on Hasselbeck.
    I believe!

shower beers is offline Registered User

You know, before the draft started, my logic was this: Suh was the best player available in this draft, with Bradford close behind. But who cares?! It means absolutely nothing now. Our front office isn't clinging to the past (clearly) and neither should we. Be a Rams fan people. Support your team. Be excited for the pick that's going to put a shot of energy into this franchise.

There's going to be a completely different attitude in St. Louis this year, and it's because of Sam Bradford. He represents more than just a quarterback. Suh would have been a very justifiable pick, easily. But in picking Suh, we would be essentially admitting that we don't think this team can be turned around this year. It would almost be like admitting defeat before the season started, at least offensively.

I'll stop here, as I could go on for a while, but Av's last point sums it up. The Rams are excited about Sam Bradford, and so should you. It's no fun to be a fan of anything if instead of supporting your team, you're questioning everything about them. Have some fun!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

On the St. Louis radio broadcast they made a very good point about the Bradford versus Suh argument. The Rams are in a position where they need to sell tickets and get fans excited about the team again. An interior D-lineman makes 40 plays per season. Bradford will have fans 3 deep at the fence come training camp and he'll sell tickets. He's instantly the face of the organization on the field just as Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk were at one time. You can't discount the importance of selling this team to the public again after all the losing they have done.

Fans will quickly forget about Suh, I'm confident in that. We don't get many fans reminding us how they should have drafted Glenn Dorsey anymore.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

If our front offices, coaches and scouts all are behind Bradford who are we to argue?

I am fully behind him, and I think we need to pick up some weapons for him now and ensure that he gets some time to throw the ball.

GO RAMS!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I have no regrets about not waiting for Clausen. First, I think Bradford will be a much better QB. Second, had the Rams taken Suh, I think there is a very good chance that the Vikings would have taken Clausen in round 1, rather than trading down to pick #34. If Clausen goes to Minnesota with that pick, I'll be fairly certain I'm right.
    We'll never know how the draft would have played out had the Rams taken Suh, but based on what we saw, I think it's fairly reasonable to think that at least one if not both of the two quarterbacks (Clausen/McCoy) would have been there.

But it's a moot point, because Bradford was their guy and they took him. Assuming they took him because they were convinced he was their quarterback of the future, then other quarterbacks being available later probably doesn't matter.

So Denver has Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow? Well, if you could chop them up and surgically combine all their best parts I guess you'd have something close to John Elway, but I think doing so would violate league rules.
    Tebow is a very interesting pick for the Broncos. I don't like what they had to give up to go get him, but he's entering a situation where he can sit and develop, and he'll be playing under a coach that worked with Tom Brady for years and made Matt Cassel look good. It's a good situation for him, assuming McDaniels still has the job by the time Tebow's ready to take over.

If the Rams don't trade down, I'm torn between four players. If the Rams want an offensive playmaker, it has to be Golden Tate. If they want a defensive playmaker (and they think he could fit in a 4-3, it has to be Sergio Kindle. If they want a guy who can come in and immediately fill a significant hole, they should consider Everson Griffen. If they want someone to help protect Bradford, I'd go with Vladimir Ducasse. I'd be fine with any of those picks.
    Griffen and Tate aren't #1 and #2 on my big board, but they're probably my top two targets given their positions and our needs, with TCU's Washington a bit of a dark horse. But I'm not so absolutely in love with any of these guys that I would be opposed to a trade down.

I don't know if it will happen, but a trade of Osi Umenyiora to the Rams makes a lot of sense now that the Giants have Jason Pierre-Paul.
    Agreed completely. Let's call New York and see if they want the first pick in the third round.

One of the happiest moments for me in the first round was when C.J. Spiller went to the Bills instead of one of the Rams' divisional foes.
    Good point. I thought the Buffalo selection was a bit of a head scratcher, but I'm glad they pulled the trigger over Seattle or San Francisco. Though I do believe all four NFC West teams had good first rounds.

An Eagles fan at my draft party, along with my brother (who was texting me from Arkansas during the draft), were miffed, to say the least, when the Eagles traded up, not for Earl Thomas, but for Brandon Graham. Quote from my brother "Next they're going to trade their second round pick for Kate Gossilen and three of her daughters."
    That's funny, as I know some Eagles fans around the 'net who were hoping Graham would be there for them @ 24. Trading up 11 spots to make sure they got him? An interesting move, but I think they got a very good player.

Brian Bulaga went to the right team. He looks like a Packer. In fact, his nickname should be "meat."
    Agreed 100%. Great combination of value meeting need for the Packers, and he just looks like a tough, hard nosed brute you'd expect to see on those old Green Bay teams.

At the start of the night, I announced at my party that I thought Demaryius Thomas would be selected before Dez Bryant. One of my better predictions (and I had some bad ones too).
    Well done!

While I have no beef whatsoever with those who wish the Rams selected Suh, I hope this won't become a lingering issue. Rams fans should, of course, get firmly behind Sam Bradford. The "fans" that irk me the most are those who - before Bradford has played a single down in the NFL - are saying he's a horrible pick, he's going to be a bust, and this is just more of the same from a bad franchise. If I was that down on the team,and so devoid of hope, I'd probably just stop following football. After all... this is supposed to be fun, right?
    Agreed, and that's part of the reason why I posted this thread.

I was about as big of a Suh supporter as one could be on this board, but he wasn't the pick. Bradford was, and it's time to cheer him on.

Sam has a lot of talent and a great work ethic. If he can put to bed the concerns that some of us had leading up to the draft, I think he has all the potential in the world, and I'd love to see him lead this team back to contention.

I've been on a jersey drought for a couple of seasons now. I think the last first round pick whose jersey I bought was Tye Hill. Didn't buy a Carriker, didn't buy a Long (should have), and didn't buy a Smith. Might be time to invest in the Bradford jersey this summer!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with your sentiments Av, and i was a Suh guy. Meanwhile, i wish we had traded up at the end of the first round for Dan Williams. I think he was the steal of the first round.

ramming speed to all

general counsel