Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Clayton's Quick Hits - Rams trying to sign OT Matt Willig

Rams adding depth
    The Rams are making a concerted effort this week to beef up their offensive line depth. They reached a deal with former Bears guard Rex Tucker. They are also trying to sign Panthers right tackle Matt Willig and could have him wrapped up before the draft. Tucker will compete at left guard. Willig will try to win the right tackle spot. The also also re-signed veteran quarterback Jamie Martin.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Re: Clayton's Quick Hits - Rams trying to sign OT Matt Willig

Is this guy better than tercero? Would this guy start until a rookie OT was ready or would this signing lead us to likely draft a safety or corner in round one.

general counsel

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Willig might be a Ram soon

John Clayton is reporting the Rams are attempting to sign Matt Willig (Panthers right tackle) to a contract before the draft.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Willig might be a Ram soon

Matt certainly has a ton of NFL experience (14) and would provide solid depth -- and size -- at T along with Big Orlando and ... who? Grant Williams and/or Kyle Turler? I think the latter is a "not" expectation.

Matt Willig, possibly in his last NFL season.

Yr ---Team ---G ---GS
    1992 NYJ..........0 .....0
    1993 NYJ..........3 .....0
    1994 NYJ.........16 ....3
    1995 NYJ.........15 ...12
    1996 Falcons....12 ... 0
    1997 Falcons....16 ...13
    1998 Packers....16 ... 0
    1999 Rams........ 0 ... 0 [What happened here?]
    2000 9ers.........16 ...3
    2001 9ers.........15 ...0
    2002 9ers.........11 ...3
    2003 Panthers...13 ...0
    2004 Panthers...16 ...9

TOTAL ............149...43
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-21-2005 at 08:28 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

He's a taller Grant Williams. If he makes the team, he will be a back-up to our back-up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's put it this way - Willig is a former Carolina Panther who wasn't resigned despite the Panthers' big need for a starting tackle to play opposite Jordan Gross. What skill/talent advantage he has over Tercero may be wiped out if he has problems with your system. I see Willig as more of a depth move just to see if it works out this spring rather than us thinking we found our next starter.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Grant Williams is an enormous human being. Standing ten feet from him on the sideline, he looks bigger than Pace. Willig is bigger than that? Wow. Meanwhile, makes sense to add for depth and makes it appear that if we draft a tackle in round one tercero may be in the mix to start at guard.

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Grant Williams is an enormous human being. Standing ten feet from him on the sideline, he looks bigger than Pace. Willig is bigger than that? Wow. Meanwhile, makes sense to add for depth and makes it appear that if we draft a tackle in round one tercero may be in the mix to start at guard.

general counsel
    Williams is 6'6" 310, Willig is 6'8" 320. Not a big difference but a little bit. You're right though GC, ALL those guys are huge. I went to training camp last year, and was amazed at just how huge all of them are. Even the guys that look small on TV are much bigger in person. Let's just say I wouldn't want to meet any of them in a dark alley.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm not quite sure what to think about this. Certainly, Willig has enough experience to be a valuable depth player - possibly a replacement for Grant Williams. But, unlike Rex Tucker, who is young and has been hindered by injury problems, I don't see a heck of a lot of upside with Willig as a potential starter.

I wonder if the signing of Tucker and the potential signing of Willig is intended to make OT a secondary, rather than primary, target for the draft. There should be some talent available in Round Two (Adam Terry, Michael Munoz). Perhaps the Rams are starting to lean towards the defense in Round 1.

Who knows? I could still see them taking Jammal Brown in Round 1.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I totally agree with you avenger. It looks as if the Rams are positioning themselves to draft a different position with pick one and pick up a tackle in the second or 3rd rounds. I have a feeling the Rams really like Incognito out of Nebraska and may hold out untill day two and try and nab him in the 4th. He has played tackle,guard and center before and heard he has a real mean streak. I wouldnt put it past the Rams to go in a different direction in round one with their recent activity.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser
    I totally agree with you avenger. It looks as if the Rams are positioning themselves to draft a different position with pick one and pick up a tackle in the second or 3rd rounds. I have a feeling the Rams really like Incognito out of Nebraska and may hold out untill day two and try and nab him in the 4th. He has played tackle,guard and center before and heard he has a real mean streak. I wouldnt put it past the Rams to go in a different direction in round one with their recent activity.
    What activity? Just as Stone and Hawthorne did not relieve our need at safety, Tucker and Willig do not relieve our need for a starter at RT. As for Incognito, I think the Rams will grab him in the 4th. I'm not one for head cases, but he might be a good pick-up unless he goes Barrett Robbins on us.

I never said we added a starter Hubison. I do however find it a little strange that the last two days we have added two guys to our o-line who it seems Martz is hoping will work out. Both of these guys arent even sure things to make the roster. Just seems a bit strange two days before the draft going out and getting Willig. To me that says Martz is willing to get a guy in the later rounds at tackle. The reason I say this is sometimes I think Martz doesnt see the RT position as a big need. I think Martz is always of the assumption that he can get by with what he has just like last year. He knew Turley wasnt going to play but he didnt panic about it. As for Stone and Hawthorne those guys were added strictly for special teams and depth at Safety, neither of them are expected to see much playing time at starting safety. As for the Safety position I still think we should have signed Antuan Edwards, I really don't see why we withdrew our offer without a solid player at that position. Over the Last half of the season he seemed like one of the few guys actually playing hard on the defensive side of the ball.
    Just Fix It

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Willig would be an awesome depth pickup IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if we cut Grant Williams then. Although I don't think Willig would do very well at left tackle.

Willig's a nasty dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammiser
    I never said we added a starter Hubison.
    yea, but a starter is what we need. The Willig & Tucker signings will be fine for depth. In fact, if Tucker can stay healthy he could compete for the LG spot. I guess my point is that, assuming for a moment the FO is looking at RT in the 1st, the recent signings shouldn't change that. We have not added anyone that is better than Tercero/Saipaia at RT, so the need is still there.
    The reason I say this is sometimes I think Martz doesnt see the RT position as a big need. I think Martz is always of the assumption that he can get by with what he has just like last year.
    Couldn't agree more...which makes me wonder (See opinion disclaimer below) if Martz is not concerned about RT and he saw what happened to Bulger with our RT situation last year, does Martz hold the belief that OL doesn't matter much because he can replace any QB? I will admit, he has taken a UFA and a 6th round cut FA and made both of them into Pro-bowl QBs, but does he think that will work with ANY QB? Hmm, just thinking out loud.

OPINION DISCLAIMER: Actually, it's not even my opinion, just throwing it out there, maybe spark a little more discussion, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    yea, but a starter is what we need. The Willig & Tucker signings will be fine for depth. In fact, if Tucker can stay healthy he could compete for the LG spot. I guess my point is that, assuming for a moment the FO is looking at RT in the 1st, the recent signings shouldn't change that. We have not added anyone that is better than Tercero/Saipaia at RT, so the need is still there..
    You know it youre right we didnt change anything. I think it's just the way I feel about Martz's thinking that makes me read into things so much more than needed. I just feel he's always out to suprise. Last years surprise I liked (Stephen Jackson) many others I didnt i.e. (Crouch,Canidate).

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Couldn't agree more...which makes me wonder (See opinion disclaimer below) if Martz is not concerned about RT and he saw what happened to Bulger with our RT situation last year, does Martz hold the belief that OL doesn't matter much because he can replace any QB? I will admit, he has taken a UFA and a 6th round cut FA and made both of them into Pro-bowl QBs, but does he think that will work with ANY QB? Hmm, just thinking out loud.
    You mean the Shanahan factor. I hope not because I dont think this offense is designed like that. Where you can bring anyone in and succeed as an offense. Although to this point it has worked. It wouldnt suprise me though if Martz thinks this way with his huge ego and all. Martz just seems to have this ho hum roll with the punches attitude that whatever happens happens, and whatever we have we have and thats it. I guess in a way it's not bad because he is confident with his guys. On the other hand however we have seen the results of it at times like our RT situation now.

My question right now is what is our bigger need in Martz's mind? Our offense did have success last year but our defense outright stunk. Is this what Martz is looking at and saying to himself that we can get by with what we have on offense but we cant get by with what we have on defense. Thats another reason why I think we might go defense at 19.
    Just Fix It

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast