Barry Waller is offline Registered User

A Closer Look May See DT as Lesser Need

Because of William Hayes, who is the tackle on passing downs, along with Sims, with Langford coming out usually, the Rams really don't have a big need for a smaller, quicker DT, the type who go early on draft day.

They could use a big NT type run stuffer, but with that guy being a two, or even one down guy in this defense, it hardly would seem prudent to take one very early on draft day.

They can get someone in the middle rounds, or even go with Conrath and Cudjo if Langford is cut loose as expected.

If they trade down, maybe they pluck one in round two or three, with extra picks acquired in a deal.

I'm seeing more and more that this first round is gonna come down to one of these scenarios.

1. Trade down from the first pick, and be open to dealing down with their own pick as well, with the idea to get as many top 50 or 60 players as possible.

2. Go safe and get a surefire stud in Jake Mathews and then hope one of the top four OLB is there with their own pick, or even deal down a bit from there and take a CB or safety.

3. Take an OLB with the Redskins pick, and then look CB, S, OL, with the other #1.

It's going to be very interesting when the rumors of who wants which QB start hitting the media, and what that could do for the trade value of the Rams pick. Since so many picking top 10 need QBs, especially top 5, I can't see those teams dealing out of there, so the Rams might be the first team, along with atlanta , that may look to deal. However, with Clowney no doubt being there for the Falcons, along with Mathews, I doubt Atlanta deals down either, unless they see RB as their #1 need.

I really hope the Rams can get a big return for a short deal down from that Redskins pick, because there just isn't one guy who stands out as a sure fit with that early a pick, with the exeption of Mathews.

If they just can't get the right deal, I would be just fine with taking another big Jake for this line. He can play guard to start, and then Barksdale will have one year to prove whether he should get paid. If he isn't deserving, they could still keep him as the top backup, and they would have a Pro Bowl replacement ready to step right in.

I really do like Barr and Mosely, but Mathews would play every down on offense and be an instant stud. They can get by with Dunbar another year, and could take a LB with their own pick and still get a great player.

Mathews may not be a "sexy" pick, but it would be so much a sure thing pick it would be hard to not do.

Of course if you deal down, and end up with two firsts, two seconds, and two thirds, you could get a very solid OL, an OLB, a solid CB, a solid FS, a good DT , and still have a "wild card pick in there to take a QB if the right guy is available at the right pick.

Now . what if a team like Cleveland, who has two first rounders, their own and Indy's, REALLY wants to move up from where they finish to get the QB they desire. If the Redskins REALLY tank it, the Rams could pick third , and the Browns just may want to do what they couldn't do in 2012, trade up with the Rams.

Imagine having three firsts in the top 20, and a high second rounder.

Hey it's great to dream, and in 2012 a dream actually came true for the Rams with the RGIII trade.

Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: A Closer Look May See DT as Lesser Need

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I really hope the Rams can get a big return for a short deal down from that Redskins pick, because there just isn't one guy who stands out as a sure fit with that early a pick, with the exeption of Mathews.

If they just can't get the right deal, I would be just fine with taking another big Jake for this line. He can play guard to start, and then Barksdale will have one year to prove whether he should get paid. If he isn't deserving, they could still keep him as the top backup, and they would have a Pro Bowl replacement ready to step right in.

I really do like Barr and Mosely, but Mathews would play every down on offense and be an instant stud. They can get by with Dunbar another year, and could take a LB with their own pick and still get a great player.

Mathews may not be a "sexy" pick, but it would be so much a sure thing pick it would be hard to not do.
    Bingo. I agree with this 100%.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

The more I think of what Les Snead has been thinking since the last draft, that an offensive tackle was going to be their highest pick because of the Saffold situation, because of where the strength in this draft lies, and because it just seems like the smart move.

When they traded out of round two last year, they knew that the best player when that pick came around was probably going to be an o lineman. I believe part of that decision could have been the knowledge that they had Saffold, and that 2014 would be a draft full of really good offensive linemen.

No doubt Jeff Fisher would be eyeing Jake Matthews, who he has known since childhood, having coached his dad.

Knowing Snead is a disciplined long term type manager, I suspect he is primed to add talent to this O-line, with more than one pick next year in the first four rounds in that area.

If Matthews is off the board for the Rams, there are still other O-linemen rated as top 10 picks, and a trade down would seem to be a big temptation for Snead once again. He's done pretty well with the in the past, and could go that route again
    Barry Waller

shower beers is offline Registered User

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and I made a similar argument regarding defensive tackle in another poster's mock draft when he had us taking Easley early on.

I can't say I agree that OLB needs to a pick so early on, for the same reasons that DT isn't. I don't think the third OLB will be on the field enough to warrant that selection right now. We might be looking at two top 15 picks, one at least for sure, and that pick would only be playing a fraction of the time. Nick made this argument in another thread too. If it were me, I wouldn't pick up an OLB until at least round 3. Ogletree has the speed to play in coverage in Nickel packages, and Dunbar has been serviceable in the run game, though looking toward the long term we could use a replacement.

I'm with you on the Redskins pick (which is number 2 as of this writing). There really isn't anyone I would take other than Mathews either. I think a trade down is our best case scenario, but that requires the right team with the right need, which is easier said than done. I'm not of the philosophy that we shouldn't draft someone at a certain spot in the draft, to play a position other than his intended one. I think we should draft the best football player and get him on the field, whatever position that ends up being. Look at the Jags and Chiefs this year. Both drafted top 5 LTs and played them at RT to start the season.