Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Clowney aiming for a 4.4-second 40-yard dash at the Combine

Rambos is offline Registered User

Clowney aiming for a 4.4-second 40-yard dash at the Combine

by Michael David Smith

Former South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney is planning to put on a show at the Scouting Combine.

Clowney told Yahoo Sports that he thinks he can run the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds, which is a good time for anyone, but a stunningly good time for a defensive lineman who was listed at 274 pounds in college.

“I hope to run a 4.4 right now,” Clowney said. “That’s my goal. On hand times, I’ve been running 4.4s. I hope I can get a 4.4 at the combine. A 4.5, I’m not too worried about.”

At last year’s Combine, the fastest time for a defensive lineman was 4.60 seconds. Clowney scoffed at that time.

“I ain’t going to run a 4.6,” Clowney said. “I’m probably going to run low 4.5, 4.4.”

That may be enough to solidify Clowney’s status as the first non-quarterback drafted.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Clowney aiming for a 4.4-second 40-yard dash at the Combine

My boy Jadeveon! I can't wait to see him lineup! He's going to kill it.

THE DREAM TEAM

RealRam is offline Registered User

Impressive, no doubt. Even a 4.5+ will sure push some buttons that day. Intriguing by the minute.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Did he say what his goal was for his ten yard split?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Avenger, our resident Clowney expert (and i believe head of the "Don't draft Clowney" contingent), hit the nail 100% on the head on this point yesterday. If Clowney does anything other than look off the charts spectacular physically at the combine (including his 40 yard dash time), that will be a big concern. I dont believe that anyone has a question regarding his physical tools being fantastic. The real question is how he does in the interviews, and unfortunately, that will not be televised. The interviews are also subjective, unlike a 40 yard dash time. Two teams can hear him say the same thing, and the two teams might have a different reaction (just like any other job interview).

Personally, if we dont trade the pick, i think Clowney should be a Ram (although i think we are most likely to trade the pick).

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    laram0 likes this.

In thinking about the 40 yard time for Clowney or any other pass rusher, i am always reminded of the quote by Brian Billick, after he drafted Suggs following a slower than expected 40 yard time (which led in part to Suggs slipping a bit). Asked if he was concerned about how Suggs' pass rush would be impacted by his slow 40 time, Billick responded "I will really worry about that if qb's start to drop back 40 yards to pass". Same point that Nick is making above with his question on the 10 yard split i think.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm actually more interested in Clowney's bench press and agility skills...Hopefully he's not a knucklehead.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Avenger, our resident Clowney expert (and i believe head of the "Don't draft Clowney" contingent)
    I wouldn't go that far.

Right now, I would not select him with the second pick. On my current board, I have him fourth behind Matthews, Robinson and Watkins. This means that, even with a trade down, it is unlikely that a scenario would present itself in which Clowney would be the top player on my board when the Rams make a selection.

That said, its still early in the process. If Clowney blows up the Combine, and gets good reviews after he interviews with teams regarding his drive, motivation, etc., I certainly could change my stance.

If I were Clowney's agent, though, I'd be advising him to cool it with the predictions. By setting the expectations as high as he is, he could look pretty bad if he fails to meet them.

Rambos is offline Registered User

With Clowney the more I see and read the more I like. All the players taken will have to interview well and prove they can be trusted once they become millionaires. All the player will have to show they love to play football, Clowney is no different. I'm not finding anyone questioning his work ethics until last years lack luster performance. His high school coach said he was a hard worker. When he was recruited and played in games leading up to choosing his college he played well and had no issues. Steve Spurrier said he thought he could go from high school to the pros without college. He also said he had no issues with him in three years. Now was he pissed he took himself out and sat games hell yeah. But after watching his teammate get his leg totally destroyed and his future hanging in the balance I'm sure he thought about his future. Was he right to shut it down, no will it hurt his draft stock maybe. If anyone can post something that shows Clowney was late to practice or was not prepared to play from a playbook stand point or was not a team player ect... prior to his junior season I would like to read that. I'm not saying its not out there but I have not found it yet... still looking.

I wish there was any way to get actual insight into the results of the interviews. I dont trust anything we read about the results of the interviews. I view it as likely to be disinformation as anything else. Why would any potential employer leak out into the marketplace what he really thought about a candidate? I can certainly see why teams would spread rumours to try to scare someone else from taking him, but in the end, the only thing that matters is what fisher, snead and other applicable rams insiders (maybe williams) think, and i doubt we will get an honest answer from those guys pre draft.

I think Clowney is a classic case of the fishbowl in which we put these players. We build them up to be deacon jones, and then knock them down as quickly. People misuse stats all the time, especially in football, which is such a team game.

Av, the context of my comment on the dont draft clowney point was not to suggest that you thought he wasnt worth taking, but rather a commentary on your stated view that you thought matthews and robinson would be ahead of him on your list for the Rams, a view that i agreed with until recently. I appreciate that you have never suggested literally that the Rams shouldnt draft him under any circumstances and i did not articulate my comment particularly well on the prior post.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

“I ain’t going to run a 4.6,” Clowney said. “I’m probably going to run low 4.5, 4.4.”
    I'm sorry, but that's just not smart. Now, if he equals last year's fastest lineman time at 4.6, the story will be what a disappointment his performance was. Like I said yesterday, he BETTER blow the top off every exercise, or this whole week will be a downer for him as a prospect.
    laram0 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's just not smart. Now, if he equals last year's fastest lineman time at 4.6, the story will be what a disappointment his performance was. Like I said yesterday, he BETTER blow the top off every exercise, or this whole week will be a downer for him as a prospect.
    You got to love the confidence thou

Clowney running a 4.4 40 will just help the Rams it will either solidify him as the cant miss the Rams draft at 2 or even better it makes another team pony up an extra 1st because they blinked and missed his entire attempt

Its a win win for us if he can do it

Randart is offline Registered User

I know many of you guys think I am crazy but this guys feels like a 50/50 coin flip to me of being one of the greatest busts to ever come down the pike since Ryan Leaf or Vernon Gholston. I would not trust a word comes out of this guys mouth... His coach was not even emphatically praising his work ethic. Some may not like Steve Spurier but the guy was a good college player and a not so good pro but he was in the NFL and he has had some good college teams. I think he has seen enough players in his career to make a valid assessment of his own player! I just really pray we donot pick this guy, I don't care if he rocks the charts for the best combine ever... This should get some guys going! LOL

“I hope to run a 4.4 right now,” Clowney said. “That’s my goal. On hand times, I’ve been running 4.4s. I hope I can get a 4.4 at the combine. A 4.5, I’m not too worried about.”
    Official time = 4.53

Not what he predicted, but that's still a great time. More imporantly, I wonder what his 10-yard split was?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Official time = 4.53

Not what he predicted, but that's still a great time. More imporantly, I wonder what his 10-yard split was?
    To answer my own question, it appears his 10-yard split was 1.56. Excellent time. Rather disappointed he didn't do any other drills, but like I said, his money will be made (or lost) in interviews anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast