Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Combine Drills and Tests: Who has the most to gain or lose?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Combine Drills and Tests: Who has the most to gain or lose?

While some criticize it as a mere platform for "workout wonders," the Scouting Combine will have a significant impact on the draft status of many prospects. Some will rise from obscurity, while others will develop significant "red flags."

Here is my list of the players who stand the most to gain and lose from the Combine drills and tests:

40 Yard Dash: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    Evans is the concensus No. 2 WR at this stage, behind Sammy Watkins. He is viewed as a receivers with excellent size and college production, and a potential mismatch against smaller DBs. The big question is whether he has "separation speed." I'd say that he needs to run under a 4.60 to maintain his draft spot. If he breaks 4.50, he might become a Top 10 pick. (Others: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska; Tre Mason, RB, Auburn; Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU)

Bench Press: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
    Donald has everything you'd want in a gap-shooting DT, with the possible exception of weight. He is currently listed at 288, which is low for an NFL DT. While his weigh-in will be important (I think teams would be more comfortable if he were to gain 2 pounds and weigh in at 290), I think that a better way to eliminate doubt would be a good showing on the bench. (Others: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State; Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M)

Three-Cone Test: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
    For a LB to be worth an early first round pick, you'd want to see the ability to play all three downs. This means that, even for a pass rushing OLB, coverage ability is important. The same is true for strong safeties. The three cone drill really tests change of direction and lateral movement, which are important for players who line up "in the box," but have to play "uphill" at times in coverage. (Others: Khlil Mack, OLB, Buffalo; Deone Buchannon, S, Washington State)

20 Yard Shuttle: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    This test focuses on the ability to move quickly in short spaces. It is important for many positions, including OT, RB and DT. Robinson is a mauler. Nobody doubts his ability to plow ahead and overwhelm defenders. If he can show that he is nimble as well, that would bode well for him as a pass blocking prospect. (Others: Cyrus Kuoandjio, OT, Alabama; Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame)

60 Yard Shuttle: Marquise Lee, WR, USC
    This is a real test of "football speed," involving straight line bursts, stopping and starting, and changing direction. A player like Lee, who does not have overwhelming size and, while fast, is not going to set a Combine record in the 40, can gain a lot in this drill, as it involves the same type of skills that make a WR a good route runner. Important for DBs as well. (Others: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt; Hasean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama; Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State)

Vertical Jump: Lamarcus Joyner, DB, FSU
    If you are a short WR or DB, you need to have "ups" to compete with the bigger players on the opposing side. Joyner, who is listed at 5'8, has everything you want in a DB except height. He'll need to show he can compete with the big WRs and TEs he'll have to cover. (Others: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU; Odell Beckham, Jr., WR, LSU)

Weight: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
    There is an ideal height range for each position. A player who is too heavy or too light, will be questioned. Mason is listed at 205 lbs. That's borderline for a an "every down" RB in the NFL. If he comes in at 210, the scouts will be encouraged. If he comes in at 200, it could push him down the ranks. (Others: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor; Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh; Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M)

Height: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    Despite the success of Drew Brees and Russell Wilson, I still believe that QBs who are 6'0 and under are viewed as question marks. Manziel is listed at 6'0-6'1 (depending on the source). If he comes in at 5'10, I believe that there are teams that will shy away from him. (Others: Marquise Lee, WR, USC; Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State; Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson)

Interview: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    I have little doubt that Clowney will test well as an athlete. However, there are going to be question marks regarding his drive and commitment after a sub-par Junior campaign. If he is able to convince teams that he loves the game of football and wants to work hard at his craft, he'll be a Top 3 pick. If not, he could tumble a bit. (Others: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M; Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M; Rashede Hagerman, DT, Minnesota)
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-05-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Combine Drills and Tests: Who has the most to gain or lose?

Good choices for all of them. Mike Evans in the 40 is the biggest one for me because it will certainly determine whether he cracks the top 10 or slides maybe as far as the 20s. I really, really like Tre Mason (just not for the Rams) and if his weight causes him to drop a little bit then I really think someone will get themselves a huge value.

Also, it's "Vertical" not "Verticle" and Marquise has an e at the end of his name (EDIT: And no u. Silly me).
    Last edited by Bald_81; -02-04-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Good choices for all of them. Mike Evans in the 40 is the biggest one for me because it will certainly determine whether he cracks the top 10 or slides maybe as far as the 20s. I really, really like Tre Mason (just not for the Rams) and if his weight causes him to drop a little bit then I really think someone will get themselves a huge value.
    I actually like Mason for the Rams potentially, but it would probably be contingent on us making a trade that yields at least one extra 2nd round selection.

Also, it's "Vertical" not "Verticle" and Marquise has an e at the end of his name.

"Shoot... we'll fix that!"

Unspoken is offline Registered User

What would be good for Evans? 4.45?

Quote Originally Posted by Unspoken View Post
    What would be good for Evans? 4.45?
    For a guy his size, that would be outstanding.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Evans needs a quality interview.
    Ealy shows he has the speed, he could go top 10. He's the type of player who could really burst up the draft boards because he's looking to be the #2 DE in the draft.

Richburg - the guy could be special. Will be interesting to see how he performs at the combine. Could be the #1 center in the draft.

With good speed and strength, Khalil Mack may end up the #1 OLB in the draft.

Hey guys, with Williams as DC now. Don't you think all Rams eyes will be on Barr at the combine? We all know he loves to blitz, and Barr has done that pretty well. If we did trade down it could be to get Barr. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Unspoken View Post
    Hey guys, with Williams as DC now. Don't you think all Rams eyes will be on Barr at the combine? We all know he loves to blitz, and Barr has done that pretty well. If we did trade down it could be to get Barr. What do you think?
    Barr would not be my choice at No. 2 and, unless he peforms poorly at the Combine, I doubt he'll still be there at #13. Of course, stranger things have happened, and if he does fall a bit, I could envision a scenario in which the Rams might be tempted.

Yeah was thinking along those lines. Would love to grab him if he fell.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i think the biggest option for us given the hiring of Williams is a safety. He was the guy that drafted Sean Taylor after all. I think if we were to trade down from #2, but to a slightly lower pick say in the #4-10 range, I think if Clinton-Dix has a good combine, he could be in play.

Given the way the NFL has gone, i think a third linebacker would be excessive and that a good slot corner would be more appropriate.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bench Press: ..... (Others: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State; Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M)
    Columbus, Ohio has two of the top powerlifting gyms in the world: Westside Barbell and Elite Fitness Systems. Every year, OSU has their top prospects working out with these guys to improve their strength numbers (as J-Lau did). And every year, OSU turns out some pretty good bench numbers at the Combine: Mike Kudla (45), Ross Homan (32), Alex Boone (33), Vernon Gholston (37), Kirk Barton (34), Reid Fragel (33).

Now, Shazier is fast and instinctive, but if he can show that he has upper body strength to boot, several GMs may take notice.
    AvengerRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i think the biggest option for us given the hiring of Williams is a safety. He was the guy that drafted Sean Taylor after all. I think if we were to trade down from #2, but to a slightly lower pick say in the #4-10 range, I think if Clinton-Dix has a good combine, he could be in play.

Given the way the NFL has gone, i think a third linebacker would be excessive and that a good slot corner would be more appropriate.
    I think I like Calvin Pryor over Clinton-Dix if you're drafting safety in round one.

If the Rams want to wait they could potentially target players like Ed Reynolds or Terrence Brooks in rounds 2 or 3.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    For a guy his size, that would be outstanding.
    I think anything under a 4.5 would be outstanding for Evans

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While some criticize it as a mere platform for "workout wonders," the Scouting Combine will have a significant impact on the draft status of many prospects. Some will rise from obscurity, while others will develop significant "red flags."

[/I]Height: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    Despite the success of Drew Brees and Russell Wilson, I still believe that QBs who are 6'0 and under are viewed as question marks. Manziel is listed at 6'0-6'1 (depending on the source). If he comes in at 5'10, I believe that there are teams that will shy away from him. (Others: Marquise Lee, WR, USC; Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State; Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson)

Interview: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    I have little doubt that Clowney will test well as an athlete. However, there are going to be question marks regarding his drive and commitment after a sub-par Junior campaign. If he is able to convince teams that he loves the game of football and wants to work hard at his craft, he'll be a Top 3 pick. If not, he could tumble a bit. (Others: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M; Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M; Rashede Hagerman, DT, Minnesota)
    My vote is for the last two guys on your list, and exactly for the reasons you pointed out. Clowney needs to convince teams that he is maturing (mentally) quickly, and will bust his tail/respond to coaching at the next level.

Manziel should consider surgical orthotics for enhanced elevation. I kid .. Absolutely there will be teams with diminished ardor should he measure out at 5'-10". I personally am curious as to what his forty time will be. Can he run under 4.5? I wonder ..

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Anyone know how long Donald's arms are when compared to the other top DT's? One not well known tidbit from the bench press is how it's kind of unfairly stacked against taller, longer armed guys, because they have to push the weight up that much further. So, with Donald being shorter as well as lighter, to say that a good bench will make everything look better has to come with a grain of salt.

This is not a debate on his 1st round status or on his size vs. productivity. Just saying that assuming his arms are indeed shorter, he will have an easier go at more reps than his longer armed compatriots.
    I believe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast