Richbert88 is offline Registered User

This coming Rams draft concerns.

The previous couple years, the Rams have had the luxury of picking early, very very early. Picking 2, 2 and 1, and having one of the top 2 on the second day provides the opportunity to produce a very short list and doesn't require much thinking on the fly.
    This time, Devany and company will not have those luxuries.

I've felt that the previous three drafts were quite well done. Devany and Spag's (previous 2 drafts) will be tested this time and I am a bit concerned not having seen them in this kind of situation, how will they perform. They won't have an evening to think on the number two or three pick.

Thoughts?

Semper Fi!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: This coming Rams draft concerns.

You're right on that. I think they should fair fine though. We have a lot of ways to go... anywhere from DT, DE and WR. Always have the possibility of trading back as well. All my faith is in DeSpags right now, and I am praying for the right pick to continue our road to greatness.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'm not worried at all, they are professionals, heck just look around this site at all the different scenarios and mocks amateurs have. Now imagine if their very livelihood depended on being prepared for anything, I'm pretty sure Nick and BarBQ would have a million mock drafts cranked out by now.

That said I agree with your statement somewhat, Billy hasn't proven he can adjust on the fly, but just ask the Lions and Raiders how easy it is drafting in the top 2. You miss up there, and it happens pretty frequently, you set your franchise back for four years. Not sure if you are, but be careful not to discount DeSpags high draft picks, they are just as difficult as middle of the pack picks.

harrydog is offline Registered User

But they really have more options picking at 14 than they did at 1 or 2. At 14 there should be a good number of quality players available at need positions so I think it would be difficult to mess up this pick. I'm not concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    But they really have more options picking at 14 than they did at 1 or 2. At 14 there should be a good number of quality players available at need positions so I think it would be difficult to mess up this pick. I'm not concerned.
    Well, that is kinda my concern. There are so many options. The past three seasons they either didn't need to have so many because all the work and screening was done pre-draft for pick one and overnight for the 2 and 3 picks. Those options are the exact difference between the previous 3 drafts and the coming draft.

It'll be interesting, but should DV and team do well, then I'll know it's skill in talent evaluation, not just being able to narrow your focus.
    Semper Fi!

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Having tons of options may not be as unfamiliar for DeSpags as we think. Keep in mind that they've struck gold in the second round the last couple of years, and I'd imagine that's just as difficult as picking at 14. I'll trust the staff until they really screw up.

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

I really like the fact that we won't be shelling out huge amounts of money for the first pick. The first time in three years that the Rams won't have to set a record for a contract to sign there first pick. Here's to not breaking the bank!

Ohhh yeah... and we can trade down, when has that been a option for the Rams?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree that there are more contingencies that need to be accounted for, but I still think it can be managed.

To me it would be:

PLAN A: If Green or Jones is there, take a WR.
    PLAN B: Take a DL (ranking can be predetermined)

It is unlikely that a Plan C would be needed, as the DL crop is very deep.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I would imagine the second round pick this year would be much more difficult than the first. The majority of the QB crop seems to be hovering around this range, which will mean lots of leap frogging around by teams looking to grab one. There's going to be a run on them around this area, which means a lot of unknowns, the one thing you can't really accurately prepare for.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2oo2 View Post
    I really like the fact that we won't be shelling out huge amounts of money for the first pick. The first time in three years that the Rams won't have to set a record for a contract to sign there first pick. Here's to not breaking the bank!
    Well, actually, if a new CBA was done B4 the draft, then even if we were picking in the top ten, the contract money would have been lowered anyway so as to avoid that risky huge signing contract for players that haven't played a down yet. But I understand where you want to come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2oo2 View Post
    Ohhh yeah... and we can trade down, when has that been a option for the Rams?
    It has been an option since we've been an NFL team, what are you talking about? Its just that it would have been very unlikely to trade out of the spots we were in, but it was in no way impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I would imagine the second round pick this year would be much more difficult than the first. The majority of the QB crop seems to be hovering around this range, which will mean lots of leap frogging around by teams looking to grab one. There's going to be a run on them around this area, which means a lot of unknowns, the one thing you can't really accurately prepare for.
    I think that is more of a legitimate concern to have for Devaney and crew than the actual first round pick, because of sudden offers and things like that.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree that there are more contingencies that need to be accounted for, but I still think it can be managed.

To me it would be:

I'd be fine with Plan B but I hope we then aren't so determined to find a #1 receiver in the draft that we over reach for one in round 2 when there may be better value at other need positions.

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    It has been an option since we've been an NFL team, what are you talking about? Its just that it would have been very unlikely to trade out of the spots we were in, but it was in no way impossible.

ummmm... no one would trade up in the draft the last coupleof year, that is all I was saying. You are out of your mind thinking that theRams had a chance to trade down last year or the year before that. I get thatit is possible but under NO circumstance would any team make a deal for thefirst/second/third pick the last couple drafts. NO TEAM wanted theresponsibility of signing that player. When you have the pick, you do and youmove on. Jason Smith is the one of most overpaid RT, just because of where hewas drafted (and he was the future LT). I know I will get killed for this statement,but I heard NFL Network and Mike and Mike calling Chris Long a bust because ofhow high he was draft, the production numbers, and the amount of money he gets.Last year he might have changed that opinion. Say what you will, but the Ramshave a chance to move down and pick up more picks if they want to and that has notbeen a option for years.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    I'd be fine with Plan B but I hope we then aren't so determined to find a #1 receiver in the draft that we over reach for one in round 2 when there may be better value at other need positions.
    I agree, plus there is nice value in both the 3rd and 4th rounds for receivers (based on projections)

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

To me it would be:

I see it that same way. Round two and round three will pose the most challenge.

I feel a bit spoiled by the last couple of #2s. It doesn't matter that the 2s previous were such poor picks in general either. Lil Animal followed by a OT that allows the luxury to flexing the previous OLT to the ORT position......remarkable.

I would be completely and amazingly in Devany's camp should be pull off another #2 pick this year that can approach those two. I don't think he can though, picking in the middle of the round alone makes that vastly more difficult. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a decent player, but would be extremely surprised if that pick rose to the level of JL or Staffold, and as quickly as they emerged also, to fill a need and make an impact.
    Semper Fi!