bruce4life is online now Registered User

comparing the 09' NfL Draft to the 1984 NBA Draft....

If you were to go back to the 1984 NBA Draft the first 3 picks were suppose to be all studs correct? Hakeem The Dream Halljuaan, Sam Bowie, Michael Jordan. If you look at the Blazers Roster that didnt have a need really for Michael Jordan but did need a big man to get over the hump that year since Clyde Drexler, Mychael Thompsan, Jim Paxson, Jerome Kersey, etc etc. Picking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan was probably the biggest draft mistake in all of sports ever.

My point being is that even though Wide Receiver is not a need position and OT is, Michael Crabtree is too good to pass up. AM i saying he will have a career like Jordan's in the NFL? No not at all but I would love to see him become a stud in a Rams uni rather than see Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, etc become the next Leonard Davis/SAM BOWIE......

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: comparing the 09' NfL Draft to the 1984 NBA Draft....

Jordan's status as an elite player was established in college in the toughest conference, playing against the best opponents. He also had all the measurables necessary to make the transition to the next level.

Crabtree put up amazing numbers, but it would not be unreasonable to suggest that his stats were inflated by (1) the style of offense at Texas Tech, and (2) the poor defenses in the Big 12. There is also some question as to whether he has a key measurable (speed) necessary to be an elite WR in the NFL.

Its also hard to compare basketball, which involves five positions doing similar things, as opposed to football, which has 22 positions involving very different skill sets.

So... no, I don't think its an analogy that lends much to the discussion.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

So if a player as phenomenal as Jordan is available, you have to take him regardless of what position he plays. However, if you wouldn't say Crabtree is going to be as phenomenal, doesn't that suggest that you wouldn't have to take him regardless of what position he plays? It sort of seems like for the comparison to be valid, you have to be putting the two in the same league.

Just to be contrary, though, I'll throw out the rationale that maybe receiver is a need. Hypothetically, Holt refuses to renegotiate his contract and gets either cut or traded before the draft. If that happens, I think we have to ask ourselves which would be the bigger upgrade: Crabtree over Drew Bennett or Monroe/Smith/Oher/Smith over Barron?

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Jordan's status as an elite player was established in college in the toughest conference, playing against the best opponents. He also had all the measurables necessary to make the transition to the next level.

Crabtree put up amazing numbers, but it would not be unreasonable to suggest that his stats were inflated by (1) the style of offense at Texas Tech, and (2) the poor defenses in the Big 12. There is also some question as to whether he has a key measurable (speed) necessary to be an elite WR in the NFL.

Its also hard to compare basketball, which involves five positions doing similar things, as opposed to football, which has 22 positions involving very different skill sets.

So... no, I don't think its an analogy that lends much to the discussion.
    No matter what you can always put in the BUTT... LOL

For example:

He did not play in a big time college program
    He was surrounded by talent how could he not do well
    He played against smaller and slower talent in college
    The style was different in college
    Never won the big game

Blah blah blah.....

Crabtree is a very talented Wide Reciever and he is worth the risk at the number 2 spot. Only time will tell if he can put it toghether and dominate a league like Jordan did?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    So if a player as phenomenal as Jordan is available, you have to take him regardless of what position he plays. However, if you wouldn't say Crabtree is going to be as phenomenal, doesn't that suggest that you wouldn't have to take him regardless of what position he plays? It sort of seems like for the comparison to be valid, you have to be putting the two in the same league.

Just to be contrary, though, I'll throw out the rationale that maybe receiver is a need. Hypothetically, Holt refuses to renegotiate his contract and gets either cut or traded before the draft. If that happens, I think we have to ask ourselves which would be the bigger upgrade: Crabtree over Drew Bennett or Monroe/Smith/Oher/Smith over Barron?
    I disagree. I believe you have to ask the question who has the most talent or potentail talent to be selected with the 2nd overall pick. You can draft for needs with the other picks or through free agency and next years draft.

Hopefully, with the 2nd overall pick you have a legit chance to get an impact player your so called playmaker or a BIG dominate Lineman to anchor your line for many years to come. You can not give up the chance to get that playmaker only to draft for need. If that playmaker is a linman then so be it if not you better worry about the line later and get the BEST player NOW....

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    No matter what you can always put in the

Crabtree is a very talented Wide Reciever and he is worth the risk at the number 2 spot. Only time will tell if he can put it toghether and dominate a league like Jordan did?
    There is only one receiver in NFL history who could possibly make such a claim. Jerry Rice.

Crabtree is a good receiver. However, and this is important, he is not, and will never be, the reincarnation of Jerry Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    There is only one receiver in NFL history who could possibly make such a claim. Jerry Rice.

Crabtree is a good receiver. However, and this is important, he is not, and will never be, the reincarnation of Jerry Rice.
    So what is your point?

That you do not think Crabtree will be worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

OR

That Crabtree will never be consider one of the Greatest WR in the NFL....

Chances are your right but alot people did not believe in Jordan when he was drafted?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    So what is your point?

That you do not think Crabtree will be worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

OR

That Crabtree will never be consider one of the Greatest WR in the NFL....

Chances are your right but alot people did not believe in Jordan when he was drafted?
    Depending on who is picking, Crabtree might indeed be worthy of the #2. However, he is not worthy of the #2 for the Rams. At this moment, wideout is a relative luxury position for the Rams to pick, and therefore, perhaps need should trump BPA in this case.

The biggest problem with Avery and Burton was their youth. Drafting another wide receiver is not going to address that problem. Working with Avery and Burton more will.

Most people thought Jordan could indeed be a star. It is important to point out, however, that Jordan never won a ring without Pippen either. Something to think about.

Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

I was a big Scottie fan back in the day....but anyway...

No, the biggest mistake that Portland made in that draft was not selecting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan, but selecting Sam Bowie over Sam Perkins. They chose the position they had the most use for they just selected the wrong guy...seriously, what would the do with Jordan AND Drexler whom they selected in the first round a year or two before that? Nobody knew that Michael Jordan was going to be MICHAEL JORDAN...The Rockets chose Hakeem Olajuwon first...because he 7 frickin feet tall...the Blazers chose Bowie because they needed a big guy and he was 7 frickin feet tall...Perkins was selected after Jordan and had a better career than Bowie and went to the NBA Finals with two teams...if they needed a center and they picked a Hall of Fame shooting guard the year before I don't see how that I don't see how the right choice should have been Jordan...if he was the greatest player of all time, than you can say the same for the Rockets selecting Olajuwon first overall when they already had a 7 footer on their team, Ralph Samson...anyway...I don't even like basketball that much, but putting in the same context...

So your telling me...that if Denver had the 3rd overall pick in the draft last year, they should have selected Matt Ryan? Ryan probably would have been the highest graded player on the board, right? This is why you don't compare things done in one sport to things done in another sport...it doesn't make sense...

In basketball, your trying to find one superstar and 4 guys that can help him be even better...in football your trying to make a group of 53 players better than the other teams...alot different.