Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Completely and totally disappointed

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Completely and totally disappointed

It's all about weapons and mismatches. There are many outside CB's who will be able to contain Givens and Quick rather effectively. But will they also be able to have a S or LB come down and cover Jared Cook? Doubt it.. To me, I'd take Cook over any S or LB in the league. Not to mention Tavon across on the other side. He can operate underneath everywhere. What Slot CB is going to be able to keep up with Austin? Doubt any.. Now this is easy to type, but it's going to be interesting to see how Schotty sets this offense up.

ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    I wrote if Austin was your guy and not available 16 I would try and trade back for more picks.
    I don't have a problem with Austin, just what we gave up to get him.

Pretty sure I wrote I would have taken Matt Elam at 30.

Did you read any of my replies to questions?
    I actually wanted Elam at 30 but hey... When you think about how deep this Safety class is and what Ogletree does for us in the Pass/Ground/blitz defenses I don't blame them for taking him. I'd imagine if it wasn't Ogletree Elam would of been next on our board.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Everyone seems to love the Rams'
    picks. Do you like them too?

No!!!!!!
    Nick, ManofGod and ZiaRam like this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Baasically with the TWO trades, and the talent pool at 22, 16 and 8, they traded a #46 pick, went from 78 to 71, and added #92 and a sixth rounder.

So bascally, they have the same number of picks, just dropped from 46 to 71, and from 78 to 92. Plus that 6th rounder.

to drop from 46 to 71 is , according to the draft chart 205 points, and from 78 to 92 is 68 points.

So the deal to get Austin cost 273 points, which is equivalent to the first pick in round three.

Now add to that the fact that the Rams see the next tier of talent running out at about pick 40, and the guys they have at 46 are the same level as those at 71, maybe even 92. It's not a great draft, remember?

The Rams also have the cap room to add one or two veteran players at safety, OLB, or guard, if they don't fill those holes in the other six picks they still have to make.

WIthout question Austin was the best skill player in this draft, especially in terms of immediate impact, and you can see that by just looking at the first round. Also, the Jets would have taken Austin at 9 or 13 for certain, so he never ever gets to 16.

The real price, since they got the same guy at 30 they would have taken at 22, was the equivalent of a high #3, and the Rams fans have seen how certain that level pick was a whole bunch since 1995 and even before.

Because of the deal down from that bad 22 spot and the switch of 3rds with Buffalo, the Rams have the same number of picks, and truly, past 40, in this draft, it's all hit and miss.

Look who won't be there at 46, had the Rams stayed there. Watson, probably gone, Cyprien, ditto, Woods, Hunter, A. Brown, E. Lacey, all gone.

They would have been left at 46 either reaching for a guy that could fall to 71 anyway at RB or WR or G, or taking a position of no need like CB or TE, or dealing down anyway.

The moves the Rams made were right on, not wasted, knowing who they would end up with at 16, and the fact that Ogletree, a top 10 talent is a Ram.

Don't see, based on this draft, anyone could be that unhappy. I don't see another combination that works for me starting at 16.
    Nick, MauiRam, laram0 and 1 others like this.
    Barry Waller

MoStateRam is offline Registered User

Completely and totally disappointed

I really dislike the Tavon Austin pick too. Mostly b/c of where it was and what they gave up. He isn't worth a first AND a second.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It's impossible to know if the moves our RAMS made to get Austin were worth it as we sit here right now. Let's wait and see what he does on the field. That's were we'll find the answer.

Case closed, thank you

richtree is offline Registered User

I am disappointed, but no way, completely and totally...I just want to see another WR added because if we went all in on Austin and #1 he gets hurt (small) or #2 he plays alot from backfiled....we still need another guy that is traditional WR ....so I will trust the Rams and hope the grab another guy and roll with a staff that is doing good things...... I know the rams are better after 1 day of the draft, but truly the next 4 picks mean ALOT MORE THAN PEOPLE THINK....

so lets wait and see and trust the staff

M$Ram is offline Registered User

I like a lot of the logic going into this thread. I'm more of a saver than a spender, so in all honesty, I wish the Rams could have given up a little less than their second round pick (and 7th, does nobody remember Richardson? :P). But with that said, it's important to remember that no draft pick is a guarantee. A fact the Rams, in the past, know pretty well.

With Tavon, based on what's known, he's a very safe pick. He has stayed healthy, and I don't care if you're in high school, or college, or professional ball, if you play football you're going to get hit. A lot. And if you touch the ball as much as Austin does, multiply the "a lot" to "a ton". He's been resilient thus far, so he must be doing something right. In my opinion, the little guy has to be doing a ton right.

We need a lot of help at WR, and Tavon makes a great start to that. And keep in mind, as Snead and Co. have found talent deep in the draft their first go, last year, I'm confident they can duplicate that effort this year.
    Soo.... Here's to the rest of the draft! Cheers.
    -M$Ram

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

You've lost faith in a front office who almost took the Rams to the playoffs in their first. If you say so, Tavon Austin is the best player in this draft, hands down. He could have very well gone #1 overall. Just so happens none of the teams from 1-7 needed a receiver. That's who the Rams wanted that's who they got. Secondly you make acusations against Alec like you know him first hand. A DUI while being a knucklehead move is hardly concern for him being a problem player.

As AvengerRam said can't please em all.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I find it funny that people complain about people spending money that aint theres

RealRam is offline Registered User

What I'm completely and totally disappointed in is your language in Post #1!
    jjigga3000 likes this.

MoStateRam is offline Registered User

Completely and totally disappointed

I like the McDonald pick but now someone is going to get a HUGE steal w/ Keenan Allen in the third. Eff.
    richtree likes this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Baasically with the TWO trades, and the talent pool at 22, 16 and 8, they traded a #46 pick, went from 78 to 71, and added #92 and a sixth rounder.

So bascally, they have the same number of picks, just dropped from 46 to 71, and from 78 to 92. Plus that 6th rounder.

to drop from 46 to 71 is , according to the draft chart 205 points, and from 78 to 92 is 68 points.

So the deal to get Austin cost 273 points, which is equivalent to the first pick in round three.

Now add to that the fact that the Rams see the next tier of talent running out at about pick 40, and the guys they have at 46 are the same level as those at 71, maybe even 92. It's not a great draft, remember?

The Rams also have the cap room to add one or two veteran players at safety, OLB, or guard, if they don't fill those holes in the other six picks they still have to make.

WIthout question Austin was the best skill player in this draft, especially in terms of immediate impact, and you can see that by just looking at the first round. Also, the Jets would have taken Austin at 9 or 13 for certain, so he never ever gets to 16.

The real price, since they got the same guy at 30 they would have taken at 22, was the equivalent of a high #3, and the Rams fans have seen how certain that level pick was a whole bunch since 1995 and even before.

Because of the deal down from that bad 22 spot and the switch of 3rds with Buffalo, the Rams have the same number of picks, and truly, past 40, in this draft, it's all hit and miss.

Look who won't be there at 46, had the Rams stayed there. Watson, probably gone, Cyprien, ditto, Woods, Hunter, A. Brown, E. Lacey, all gone.

They would have been left at 46 either reaching for a guy that could fall to 71 anyway at RB or WR or G, or taking a position of no need like CB or TE, or dealing down anyway.

The moves the Rams made were right on, not wasted, knowing who they would end up with at 16, and the fact that Ogletree, a top 10 talent is a Ram.

Don't see, based on this draft, anyone could be that unhappy. I don't see another combination that works for me starting at 16.

So I think that Brown and Lacy were there at 46, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by RosieJones; -04-26-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: I was wrong about Woods

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoStateRam View Post
    I like the McDonald pick but now someone is going to get a HUGE steal w/ Keenan Allen in the third. Eff.
    I have a hard time that any strong safety is worth more than a legit WR --- I think the difference between Allen to Bailey is a huge gap...and the difference between mcDonald to Shamarko thomas is much smaller...

Overall, I really don't like the draft but I trust Fisher and Snead so much that I will roll with him...also, I still want to see a later WR or RB taken....so its not over yettt

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I have a hard time that any strong safety is worth more than a legit WR --- I think the difference between Allen to Bailey is a huge gap...and the difference between mcDonald to Shamarko thomas is much smaller...
    Allen was a first round talent that lasted until the mid third round; clearly there's something (likely medical/speed issues) that teams are very wary of. Wary enough for seven receivers to go ahead of a guy who at one point in this process was the top player at his position despite being injured.

As for Shamarko, similar argument. Nine safeties have been drafted, and Shamarko, Philip Thomas, Bacarri Rambo are among a group of safeties regarded well by fans who the NFL seems to not think incredibly highly of. The Patriots took Duron freakin' Harmon over these guys.

Clearly there is something that has NFL teams less impressed than armchair draftniks, and only time will tell who is right. I would have preferred another safety over McDonald, but more than a few of those are still available, and likely for a reason that may not be obvious to us.

Maybe the Rams are able to grab another on the third day; the fact that so many good names at the position are still left could be the reason why the Rams went another direction, if they have some of them rated closely and feel they can get one later.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast