CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

A concern I have

So i don't pretend to know everything about the draft, but i like to think i know more then the average Joe as i follow draft boards and read up on prospects. However I know there are many of you who are much more knowledgeable about this kind of thing then me so here is my concern: Is Jason Smith this years Vernon Gholston? Has an amazing combine but turns out to be a bust, i know its early to call Gholston a bust but you know what i mean, a player who just never lives up to the hype.

So tell me draftniks, am I just worring about nothing? or do my concerns have merit?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: A concern I have

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    So i don't pretend to know everything about the draft, but i like to think i know more then the average Joe as i follow draft boards and read up on prospects. However I know there are many of you who are much more knowledgeable about this kind of thing then me so here is my concern: Is Jason Smith this years Vernon Gholston? Has an amazing combine but turns out to be a bust, i know its early to call Gholston a bust but you know what i mean, a player who just never lives up to the hype.

So tell me draftniks, am I just worring about nothing? or do my concerns have merit?
    To be honest it's tough to say. There's a certain risk in selecting any Draft candidate, but I don't think that a fantastic workout/interview process should make teams more wary. Jason Smith certainly looks the complete package. So did Jake Long last year. It's probably safe to say the Smith hasn't been as "NFL" consistent in college because of the scheme he's been playing in, whereas Long was undoubtedly very NFL-ready. I think Smith's game tape shows enough potential for dominance that a great workout accelerated him to the top of the pile, and may prove the difference between a player like Smith and a player like Monroe.

To be fair to Gholston, a lot of players don't have success until their second year. Mario Williams is the most recent (and most striking) example, amassing 17 sacks his second year in the pros.

Then again, some workout warriors, like San Francisco TE Vernon Davis, simply never develop.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -03-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Picking a good draft pick is a lot like picking a new girlfriend. You have a general idea of the kind of girl you would like to have, so that's the kind of girl you look at. When you do finally meet a girl that you think might just be a stable girlfriend, you begin to get serious, and you aren't sure what's going to happen next. Will she be the kind of girl you want to spend the rest of your life with? Or will she be some psychotic "black widow" type who will end up draining your bank account, alienate all your friends, attack you while you are asleep, wreck that car you are so proud of, then leave you broke, homeless, and beating your head against the wall?

In other words, will the pick turn out like Orlando Pace, or will he be a Lawrence Phillips? Only time can tell.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

I love the draft but it's always a crap shoot, even after doing the due dilligence!!!

tdog08 is offline Registered User

Vernon Gholston is playing a new position I think next year he will be ok

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Picking a good draft pick is a lot like picking a new girlfriend. You have a general idea of the kind of girl you would like to have, so that's the kind of girl you look at. When you do finally meet a girl that you think might just be a stable girlfriend, you begin to get serious, and you aren't sure what's going to happen next. Will she be the kind of girl you want to spend the rest of your life with? Or will she be some psychotic "black widow" type who will end up draining your bank account, alienate all your friends, attack you while you are asleep, wreck that car you are so proud of, then leave you broke, homeless, and beating your head against the wall?

In other words, will the pick turn out like Orlando Pace, or will he be a Lawrence Phillips? Only time can tell.

WOW! Is there something you want to share with us?

The step-up from the college ranks to the NFL is huge. So yes the draft is a gamble but what are the alternatives?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    WOW! Is there something you want to share with us?
    Just because I have three ex-wives isn't a big deal. I'm not bitter towards any of those money-grubbing, back-stabbing....I mean ladies...