Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Concerns about Jake Long ?

YouTube - Vernon Gholston

I don't care about his measurables - you have to go by the way someone plays on the field. Remember the Big Beast OT Green Bay took years back?

???

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Concerns about Jake Long ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    I don't care about his measurables - you have to go by the way someone plays on the field.
    And Long has played very, very well on the field throughout his career at Michigan, having allowed only two career sacks with two career penalties against him. The fact that Gholston gave him headaches at times should be a compliment to the kind of player Gholston is as well.

RANDYRAM Guest

I AGREE Nick
    Golhston put him on his butt several times!
    Thats why I want him (Golhston) instead of J Long,C Long, or G Dorsey!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    YouTube - Vernon Gholston

I don't care about his measurables - you have to go by the way someone plays on the field. Remember the Big Beast OT Green Bay took years back?

???
    That video certainly sold me. I mean how crappy is Jake Long that he got beat on one play from a slant inside that should have been picked up by the guard which resulted in.......well, nothing since Henne still got the pass off.

But hey a 16 second video that shows nothing is enough to convince me. Jake Long = Tony Mandarich (that GB guy Tony S. was thinking of).

Ok, seriously guys, I hate to bring stats back into play here, but since they weigh heavier than gut feelings and vibes, I suppose I should. With Gholston on the field, the Michigan offense ran 74 run plays and 109 pass plays over the past three UM/OSU games. Of those 183 chances for Vernon "Godlike" Gholston to make a play, he managed 3 sacks & 1 run stopped in the backfield. Again, 74 run plays......only 1 stop in the backfield; 109 pass plays.....3 sacks, & only one of those against Jake Long.

So, please, I'm begging.......someone explain to me how it is that Vernon Gholston "dominated" Jake Long. No gut feelings, just real terms........Long's UM kept Gholston out of the equation on 179 of the 183 plays. Doesn't exactly sound "dominant" to me.

But I will gladly listen to anyone who can, in objective terms (ie. no gut feelings), explain to me how Gholston dominated Jake Long. I eagerly await.

P.S. And don't take this to mean I have a problem with drafting Gholston. Any of the, as someone else put it yesterday, four horsemen will be fine with me. But if we're making up our minds let's at least look at the whole picture and not some snippet that a fan puts on YouTube.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

I don't care about his measurables - you have to go by the way someone plays on the field.
    I will let the coach tell you what he thinks...

Linehan said. "He's one of the best tackles I've ever seen."

Wolverines dropped back to pass 423 times in 2007, and Long was beaten just the one time. And they amassed 1,251 of their 2,144 rushing yards over Long’s left tackle position, as he registered 119 knockdowns, including 18 blocks resulting in touchdowns.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-05-2008 at 02:34 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I will let the coach tell you what he thinks...

Linehan said. "He's one of the best tackles I've ever seen."
    Rambos, please my friend, don't go muddying up the waters with actual statistics. So what that Long beat his opposing rusher 421 times in 423 attempts; there's a 16 second video of Gholston ALMOST beating Long.....and it's on YouTube and everything.

Long must suck somethin' awful!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RANDYRAM Guest

OK OK so C Long & Dorsey must really suck They never beat him all!

When draft day comes we'll see what the Rams THINK!!

Those are some great stats ! NO DOUBT!

I have to wait and see. just like last year !

Rambos is offline Registered User

Hub I guess thats why companys pay millions for a 30 second spot during the SB.