ramhard is offline Registered User

Consensus pick from last year for Rams?

It seems there is overwhelming consensus that the Rams will pick Jamaal Brown if he is available. I was trying to remember what player was considered the most likely pick last year. Anyone remember?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Consensus pick from last year for Rams?

IIRC, this time last year the question was DE. We just lost Wistrom and had no idea who was going to fill his shoes. We stock-piled a bunch of veterans like Flowers, and eventual starter Fisher. Even brought back Moran for training camp. But I don't recall there being a consensus DE that we had zeroed in on. Here's some of the names I do remember being tossed around though:

Jason Babin, DE, Western Michigan
    Antwan Odem, DE, Alabama
    Marquis Hill, DE, LSU

And like this year, I think there was some talk of CB and OT with names like:

Nat Dorsey, OT, Georgia Tech
    Kelly Butler, OT, Purdue
    Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio St.
    Derrick Strait, CB, Oklahoma

But I don't remember there being anyone as a consensus, and then the unthinkable....Jackson falls to us. Still can't believe it myself.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I can't remember one as prominent as brown all I can only remember is ben troupe TE or vernon Carey OL

I forgot the DE

ramhard is offline Registered User

my push was Gamble

Well, I remember Carey being pushed by several.. and I was pushing Chris Gamble. I don't remember Troupe as we had just signed Manu to the big contract.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: my push was Gamble

I don't remember if there was a consensus, but there was a debate between Troupe or Watson from those thinking we should take a TE. And yeah, defensive ends like Babin, Odom, and Hill were also mentioned.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I suppose on the basis that almost everyone think's the rams pick will be brown it's bound to be someone else I wonder who

I saw the sporting news mock who had barron dropping to 19

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I want it to be Brown, because I think we need to secure the right side of the line with a young stud we can count on for a number of years to come. I think players like Bulger and Jackson would benefit for years to come with a more stable right tackle on this line, and considering guys like McCollum and Timmerman aren't getting any younger, we need to start looking at youth early in the draft.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a defensive player, be it a defensive back or a lineman. Because of the depth at offensive tackle, and the apparent love for Richie Ingonito, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Rams draft the best defensive player on the board and then take an O-lineman in round two or three.

Defensively, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Rams drafted any of the following players who could be on the board when we select at 19: Thomas Davis, Brodney Pool, Shaun Cody, Dan Cody, David Pollack, Channing Crowder, Justin Miller, or Carlos Rogers. Of course, then you have to wonder if there are offensive players the Rams would select in the first round besides Brown. Guys like Khalif Barnes, David Baas, Heath Miller, or Matt Jones may be on the Rams' board for the first round.

You just never know, I guess. Nothing would really surprise me at this point, besides maybe a kicker/punter, wide receiver, or a quarterback.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Matt Jones may be on the Rams' board for the first round.
    Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that Matt Jones is like that dirty little addiction that you don't want anyone else to know about? You know, like some normal tie-wearing office going guy living in the suburbs who on the side has this really bad drug problem or foot fetish or some weird thing. I mean, it's like the sensible thing to do is go for the best OT or FS available and the most mindless thing we could do at the same time is go after a WR with our 1st pick, but you just can't help yourself, you keep thinking what if....and then start picturing Matt Jones in a Rams jersey...and then feel guilty about the mere thought of a WR in round 1 crossing your mind.

Just me or anyone else? :redface:
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that Matt Jones is like that dirty little addiction that you don't want anyone else to know about? You know, like some normal tie-wearing office going guy living in the suburbs who on the side has this really bad drug problem or foot fetish or some weird thing. I mean, it's like the sensible thing to do is go for the best OT or FS available and the most mindless thing we could do at the same time is go after a WR with our 1st pick, but you just can't help yourself, you keep thinking what if....and then start picturing Matt Jones in a Rams jersey...and then feel guilty about the mere thought of a WR in round 1 crossing your mind.

Just me or anyone else? :redface:
    Funny you should mention that as I have been mulling over the same thought for the last week or so. It is hard for me to imagine that Jones is not on Martz's radar screen. If Martz is truly enamored of Jones, I believe he would have to use our #1 to get him. Who knows??? That is just one aspect of what makes the draft so unpredictable.