Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

corner vs. linebacker

what do we need more. corner or linebacker. I think its linebacker. I continue to contend that the corners arent as bad as people think, especially with bartell improving week after week and butler coming back. Of course we could use help at the position, but i see NO PULSE at linebacker with the exception of pisa. Our corners look terrible because we have no functioning pass rush. Paging leonard little. awol.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

rampete is offline Registered User

Re: corner vs. linebacker

our front 7 is a beaten group...no passion, no discipline and no result...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think we could go wrong with either, but I'd contend we'd be better getting a DB in round one (Williams, Huff) and a LB in round two (Howard, Hodge, Carpenter, Nicholson), only because I think there's better value at LB in round two than there would be at corner.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fair point nick, you are the draft expert and not a lot more about draft value than i do. At this point, at least we have some guys in the secondary who have upside and i just dont see it at all at linebacker.

Bring me aj hawk.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

aj hawk doesn't deserve this...

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

what do you guys think of ahmad brooks out of virginia. great size at 6-4 260 and would be perfect for the MLB spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage39
    what do you guys think of ahmad brooks out of virginia. great size at 6-4 260 and would be perfect for the MLB spot.
    he's a very good player when healthy and probably has not hit the ceiling...but i believe he's injury prone...

bruce_wannabe Guest

we need a capable free safety and resign archuleta... we have a safety like a sean taylor or ed reed and watch out

STLRAMSFAN Guest

We need to get better in our front 7 first. Butler coming back next year will help the corners. We give the QB way to much time to pick apart our secondary and we are horrible against the run. The run allows the other team to control the clock. I also agree with Nick that the first round might be better for a CB. The first place to look in free agency should be front 7 the first round of the draft should be CB if the value is there.

But where on the front four do you want to upgrade? Too soon to quite on hargrove. Little is still above average. Pickett leads the nfl in tackles by a defensive tackle. How can you quite on kennedy? The help has to come at linebacker. we have made our bed for at least one more year on the defensive line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Too soon to quite on hargrove.
    I agree you don't give up on him but you should make him a backup until he proves he can handle the starting job. We should look for a better DE opposite Little until Hargrove proves he can play in this league. Lets say Hargrove progresses we probably only have another 3 years left in Little. By that time Hargrove takes over for Little if he has not already pushed one of the two DE's out of their spot. I think our biggest problem in the past with the front seven has been counting on to many young players talent. Kennedy, Pickett, Lewis, Hargrove, Thomas, and Polley we had to many guys that we were counting on their potential.

Little is still above average.
    I agree he is a keeper.

Pickett leads the nfl in tackles by a defensive tackle.
    I am okay with retaining him as a starter.

How can you quit on kennedy?
    I would not quit on him either but I would be tempted to try to sign a veteran to a 2 year contract. Then we could let him and Kennedy battle it out for the starting position with the other being rotated in frequently.

Thats my opinion on how to fix the DL.

But I agree it dont end there we need to improve LBs and DBs.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the Rams should make a big push to sign a #1 CB in FA, with Nate Clements being the main target. If they can land him, I'd go LB in the first round. LBs tend to establish themselves in the NFL faster than CBs, who often take a couple of years to "ripen." I also think the Rams need to consider looking at DEs early.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

DeMeco Ryans.

+Great at rushing the QB

+Great against the run

+Very intelligent

+Great game speed

+Good in coverage

+Leader on defense

+Great tackler

I want DeMeco. Despite the numbers that the other guys get, DeMeco is considered one of the greatest LB's to ever come out of Alabama. The same school that housed Cornelius Bennet. He is a very smart player. He doesnt bite on fakes and disrupts every play. He does the small things that Hawk and Greenway sometimes dont do. He is IMO the most NFL ready off all the LB's and will be a Pro Bowl LB very soon.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39

...I want DeMeco. Despite the numbers that the other guys get, DeMeco is considered one of the greatest LB's to ever come out of Alabama...
    i like this player too...he reminds me of a bigger ken hamlin of the hwks...a ball hawk with a nasty disposition...

having said that, i doubt the rams FO is savvy enough to get him...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Fair point nick, you are the draft expert and not a lot more about draft value than i do. At this point, at least we have some guys in the secondary who have upside and i just dont see it at all at linebacker.
    I agree with what you're saying, and things could definitely change depending on bowl games and combine results.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage39
    Amazing skills and potential, but he's had a poor season. Injured and out of shape, and it could cause him to fall, but some team might want to take him on what he could be. He hasn't even officially declared yet, but most expect him to.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_wannabe
    we need a capable free safety and resign archuleta... we have a safety like a sean taylor or ed reed and watch out
    Enter Michael Huff, who is athletic enough to play all DB positions. He should shoot up the draft board with a good combine this spring, especially if he runs a 4.4 forty because he would project as a good corner prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I think the Rams should make a big push to sign a #1 CB in FA, with Nate Clements being the main target. If they can land him, I'd go LB in the first round. LBs tend to establish themselves in the NFL faster than CBs, who often take a couple of years to "ripen." I also think the Rams need to consider looking at DEs early.
    If Clements doesn't sign long term with the Bills, then I'd be willing to bet that Buffalo slaps the franchise tag on him. But if he makes it to free agency, then I think we need to make a serious push for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I want DeMeco. Despite the numbers that the other guys get, DeMeco is considered one of the greatest LB's to ever come out of Alabama. The same school that housed Cornelius Bennet. He is a very smart player. He doesnt bite on fakes and disrupts every play. He does the small things that Hawk and Greenway sometimes dont do. He is IMO the most NFL ready off all the LB's and will be a Pro Bowl LB very soon.
    I agree that Ryans is looking like a very good prospect. What he does at the combine will really determine where he'll be, because right now he could go anywhere from mid first to early second.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast