throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Could the Buccaneers be setting their sights on Richardson?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Could the Buccaneers be setting their sights on Richardson?

With the first two days of free agency nearly in the books, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have made some pretty big splashes.

Their opening salvo was to give wide receiver Vincent Jackson a $55 million contract over the next five years. This pushes established starting receiver Mike Williams into the #2 role, and oh by the way, probably eliminates the chances of the Buccaneers taking Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon if he were available for them in the draft.

On Day Two, the Buccaneers signed arguably the best free agent offensive lineman in former Saints offensive guard Carl Nicks. Adding Nicks to an interior line that already features Jeremy Zuttah and Davin Joseph gives Tampa a strong unit for running the football, which is something new head coach Greg Schiano likes to do.

Another signing the Bucs made on the second day of free agency was to bring in veteran cornerback Eric Wright on a five-year deal worth nearly $40 million. Clearly paying him as a starter, the Bucs will pair Wright with troubled cornerback Aqib Talib (if he's available) and Ronde Barber (if they can bring him back), and may lessen the need for Tampa to spend its opening pick on LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne.

So, having made big moves to improve their offense with a receiver and interior lineman, and having made a splash to add a veteran starting cornerback, could the Buccaneers be preparing to take Alabama running back Trent Richardson with the fifth overall pick this April? Trent would join a team with a franchise quarterback in Freeman, talent at both starting receiver spots, and an offensive line ready to open holes for him.

Something to think about as we watch how the rest of free agency shapes up in the coming days and weeks.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Could the Buccaneers be setting their sights on Richardson?

Nick if the Buc's took Trent at 5 who do you have the Browns taking at 4?

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Are they really that down on legarret blount? I know he wasnt drafted but he is only in his 3rd year and is a pretty good play imo. I wished the rams woulda picked him up when he came into the league. And blount and richardson have the same running style almost. But i wouldnt be mad at us drafting richardson or claiborne, one of the 2 will be there at pick 6

Browns will take blackmon but i think they need richardson more.
    Last edited by Fastcat; -03-14-2012 at 07:07 PM.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Blount is horribly overrated because he breaks off 2 highlight reel runs a year. He apparently didn't look at the playbook or try to understand what was happening and didn't know how to block, who to block, ect.. (the same goes with catching balls out of the backfield). Every time he's on the field teams know that they are running which is why he couldn't come close to how good he was in 2010 (his rookie year). Most teams wouldn't have him on their team, despite how talented he is as a runner. They could easily take Richardson.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Blount is no Richardson...

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    With the first two days of free agency nearly in the books, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have made some pretty big splashes.

Their opening salvo was to give wide receiver Vincent Jackson a $55 million contract over the next five years. This pushes established starting receiver Mike Williams into the #2 role, and oh by the way, probably eliminates the chances of the Buccaneers taking Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon if he were available for them in the draft.

On Day Two, the Buccaneers signed arguably the best free agent offensive lineman in former Saints offensive guard Carl Nicks. Adding Nicks to an interior line that already features Jeremy Zuttah and Davin Joseph gives Tampa a strong unit for running the football, which is something new head coach Greg Schiano likes to do.

Another signing the Bucs made on the second day of free agency was to bring in veteran cornerback Eric Wright on a five-year deal worth nearly $40 million. Clearly paying him as a starter, the Bucs will pair Wright with troubled cornerback Aqib Talib (if he's available) and Ronde Barber (if they can bring him back), and may lessen the need for Tampa to spend its opening pick on LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne.

So, having made big moves to improve their offense with a receiver and interior lineman, and having made a splash to add a veteran starting cornerback, could the Buccaneers be preparing to take Alabama running back Trent Richardson with the fifth overall pick this April? Trent would join a team with a franchise quarterback in Freeman, talent at both starting receiver spots, and an offensive line ready to open holes for him.

Something to think about as we watch how the rest of free agency shapes up in the coming days and weeks.
    Nick,

I agree with your assertion that Tampa grabbing T. Rich is a possibility, but I've got to think that with all of Talib's legal problems it is going to be hard for them to pass on M. Claiborne should he be there at the 5th pick.

FWIW Browns fans are incredulous as to how anyone could pay the underachieving Wright that much money to be a mediocre at best corner. Who knows maybe a change in scenery will do the guy some good but he is definitely not missed in Cleveland.

Seems to me that they could pound the rock with Garrett and use a change-of-pace RB for other situations. These types can be found later in the draft.

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out...

WHAT SAY YE?

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Looks like payton hillis signed with kc. So this means they have no legit rb, they could take t rich and blackmon falls to us.... Lets hope this happens

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Tampa takes T.Rich, that's fine with me, as the Rams would either end up with Blackmon (my first choice) or Claiborne (giving the Rams a great CB combo of Claiborne/Finnegan).

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

With Hillis going to KC I have to think the Brownies will be taking T-rich. The Bucs have signed a DB and a WR so they may not want to add one in the draft but they could. Either way we're in pretty good shape providing the Rams dont want to trade down.

SLSG Guest

Rams need to trade down, gain a 2nd or 3rd and take Floyd. Floyd is a beast

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

We cant lose with the sixth pick. This is a six stud draft...

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I could really careless who we get at 6. Blackmon, Richardson and Claiborne all fill a need and all are future all pros. Whoever falls to us I'll be happy.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Browns are rumored to be trying and trade for Ben Tate. If that happens I think it makes it less likely they'd draft Richardson. Though depending on what they'd give up, they may just want Tate for depth.

TB makes too much sense. They are obviously trying to revamp their offense, adding Richardson would be huge.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Nick if the Buc's took Trent at 5 who do you have the Browns taking at 4?
    In my last mock, it was Richardson with Tampa going with Claiborne. If the Browns pass on Richardson (allowing the Bucs to take him @ 5), then I'd imagine it would be because they took Blackmon @ 4. However, I do believe Claiborne is a dark horse for the Browns. They'd have a great pair of corners if they combined Claiborne with Joe Haden.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Are they really that down on legarret blount?
    It's unclear. They could pair Blount with someone who would compliment him, but he had an awful end to the season and averaged less than three yards a carry in the final month. If the Buccaneers and Schiano are serious about a strong running game, they may want to upgrade with Richardson. What they do at the position in free agency may provide a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Nick,

I agree with your assertion that Tampa grabbing T. Rich is a possibility, but I've got to think that with all of Talib's legal problems it is going to be hard for them to pass on M. Claiborne should he be there at the 5th pick.

FWIW Browns fans are incredulous as to how anyone could pay the underachieving Wright that much money to be a mediocre at best corner. Who knows maybe a change in scenery will do the guy some good but he is definitely not missed in Cleveland.

Seems to me that they could pound the rock with Garrett and use a change-of-pace RB for other situations. These types can be found later in the draft.

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out...

WHAT SAY YE?
    Yep, very good points. Claiborne is still very much an option in Tampa, but you have to think Wright's signing lessens the need if even just slightly at the position. Now, only one starting CB spot has question marks rather than both.

Quote Originally Posted by md8 View Post
    Browns are rumored to be trying and trade for Ben Tate. If that happens I think it makes it less likely they'd draft Richardson. Though depending on what they'd give up, they may just want Tate for depth.

TB makes too much sense. They are obviously trying to revamp their offense, adding Richardson would be huge.
    It's going to be hard for Houston to give up on Tate unless the offer is good. Will the Browns want to trade pick #22 to the Texans for Tate? That's what I'd ask for it, because while Foster was electric at times last year, the workload between the two was basically a 60-40 split, and Foster wasn't able to start a full 16-game schedule.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

punahou is offline Registered User

I cant see how Tampa doenst take a CB as their 2 starters last are retired and have legal issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast