Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thoey is offline Registered User

Could college drug issues make some players drop and would we take them?

The following were two players I would have loved to see drop to us, but now I am not so sure. We don't need another Fahkir on our team:

KFFL News of Note
    Talib admits to failing drug tests

ESPNews reports University of Kansas CB Aqib Talib admitted that he failed multiple marijuana tests during his collegiate career. Talib was expected to be a first-round draft pick in the 2008 NFL Draft and could affect his draft status.
    Manningham admits to failing drug tests

ESPNews reports University of Michigan WR Mario Manningham admitted that he failed multiple marijuana tests during his collegiate career. Manningham was expected to be a first-round draft pick in the 2008 NFL Draft and could affect his draft status.

This space for rent...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Could college drug issues make some players drop and would we take them?

I don't really think Talib will fall to us. Manningham probably will, but I think this will affect our valuation of him. In Mario's case, though, I think the bigger problem is that he apparently lied about it at the Combine, and that's a terrible first impression to make on your future head coach.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

It's college. Your supposed to experiment. Who didn't try something new in college? I know there were a lot of things that I tried in college that I don't do today. Why? Because I grew out of them, when you enter the working world you don't have the time nor the luxury of losing focus. If it was a college thing and not a habitual thing then yes I would take them on my team. Honestly, I find it quite ridiculous to even test for pot. It surely isn't preformance enhancing. Unless of course you are finger painting or creating the ultimate munchie.

If they got it out of their system then yes, but with the stipulation that they would have to be administered drug tests year round for their first couple of years with the team. Hair folicle tests, no urine tests. It's too easy to beat. Especially, if you got a whizzinator that you don't get caught with at the airport. Thanks Onterrio.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

keith m. klink Guest

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT ! just a second here , it's not that i targeted them at all because we don't need a CB in rd 1 and i never liked MANNINGHAM as a 2nd rd pick anyway #33 ? NO THANKS . but in their defense , they both were in CARPENTRY 101 and 102 , and WOODWORKING 1 and ADVANCED WOODWORKING .

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T KNOW , most high school pot-heads either become carpenters or go to college to become LAWYERS .

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams and Amobi Okoye all had marijuana issues in college and have so far stayed out of trouble and been quality players in the NFL. Sure there are guys that can't give it up, but if you do you homework in the interview process and get assurances that guys are open to regular drug tests in the NFL as badmoforamfan noted, it shouldn't be an issue.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The thing that bothers me about Manningham is that in interviews he first denied his marijuana history to teams but then later retracted (mentioned on ESPN tonight). At this point, he could be sliding into the third round.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    In Mario's case, though, I think the bigger problem is that he apparently lied about it at the Combine, and that's a terrible first impression to make on your future head coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The thing that bothers me about Manningham is that in interviews he first denied his marijuana history to teams but then later retracted (mentioned on ESPN tonight). At this point, he could be sliding into the third round.
    I agree here. Manningham's dishonesty is a bigger issue than any marijuana use in college.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I don't really think Talib will fall to us. Manningham probably will, but I think this will affect our valuation of him. In Mario's case, though, I think the bigger problem is that he apparently lied about it at the Combine, and that's a terrible first impression to make on your future head coach.

Agreed on both players and, particularly, on the fact that, regardless of the individual, it makes a terrible first impression on the future coach.

To me, college drug issues -- as Thoey put it -- raises a bright red flag (not a little one) and it waves strong. Sure, there are MANY players in the NFL that have had these issues and yet have also had a long and/or successful career in the NFL.

But it's time the league put a stop -- or at least, curtail -- the ease with which said youngsters enter the big time big picture with little or no consequence for their illegal "experiments".

I do not condone the so called 'college experimentation' as if were an excuse, or even a 'normal expectancy' given the average age of students and their level of maturity. No! NO!

IMO, this is a but a small indicator, only a semblance of the stubborn situation many societies suffer. Specifically in this collegiate sports scenario, why would we want to j-u-s-t-i-f-y the imbecile tendency of "experimenting" with drugs just because the kid is now in High School or ... wow... in College! Indeed, that is the one typical, small indicator that is, oh, so effective in producing derelicts, divorces and/or drunk professionals!

Claude Wrotten. Pacboy Jones. Michael Irvin (HOF). You know what I mean.

Yes, I understand many of these athletes come from broken homes and are already certified candidates for crack, meth or pot usage. Again, my point is to DISCOURAGE these foolish practices in college rather than making them a way of life; to educate and edify; to emerge, for crying out loud, from that week "it's okay" mentality!

I've said it before. I'm glad Mr. Roger Goodell is working on elevating the standards and policies related to substance abuse -- as are the rest of professional sports organizations doing. If Randy Moss got away with being a pot head and is now a millionaire superstar, well, may he be a dying breed (read it only as an expression, don't sue me).

Maybe Moss, and his fellow gang of supposedly ex-user successful sport icons will have the courage and the brains to somehow participate in educating HS youth to avoid the damning magnet of drugs.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-09-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: HOF

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

If Talib's still there in the second I'd consider it, unless one of the big Linemen from either side are there.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

With Devaney in the FO, I doubt any of these guys would even get looked at any further.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Talib maybe Manningham I've cooled off on.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    With Devaney in the FO, I doubt any of these guys would even get looked at any further.

Good observation Moose. I agree.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Unfortunately, that leaves us high and dry receiver wise. Wasn't DeSean Jackson a problem too? I could be mistaken, but I remember one of the other wide outs the Rams were interested in had a problem(s) off the field. Who do we go for 2nd round WR?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Unfortunately, that leaves us high and dry receiver wise. Wasn't DeSean Jackson a problem too? I could be mistaken, but I remember one of the other wide outs the Rams were interested in had a problem(s) off the field. Who do we go for 2nd round WR?
    I think they go for Avery.

keith m. klink Guest

I thought that if you take a chance on a guy in the 6th or 7th rd , o.k. your out a later pick and a lesson learned . for every guy that you take some chance on because he might become a football talent , there are the MARK SETTERSTROM's , DEREK STANLEY's AND MAD HEDGECOCK'S that pop up i the last rounds because of football talent .

that is why after the situation with ADARIOUS BOWMAN , he was a 3rd rd guy i was looking at and now i have him as a 7th rd chance guy .

i can't see the RAMS trying something like the WROTEN and BYRD fiasco again where you
    throw away mid round picks on problem child players with talent or great athleticism . go back to that draft and see who else was available to us and really be kinda upset at the round 2-5 picks that have been junk in the last 2-3 years . LINEHAN and DEVANEY can't let one pick slip by without serious thought on what they are bringing with them .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast