MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Could this be the db Billy D. was drooling over?

By VanRam on Mar 1, 2011 12:22 PM

West Virginia S Robert Sands just posted forty times of 4.53 and 4.56 in his Combine workout this morning. Those are good numbers for a safety, especially one that's 6-foot-4 3/8 inches and weighs 217 lbs. Wait and see how conventional wisdom develops around him, but Sands could be a second round pick.

Sands revealed on Sunday at the Combine that he has met with the St. Louis Rams.
    Is Sands the prospective second round defensive back that GM Billy Devaney has twice hinted at, once noting that the team was drooling over? Maybe. But there are enough defensive backs with second round grades to make it anyone's guess.

Another safety forty time of note is Iowa S Tyler Sash, who ran a 4.54 today. We mentioned Sash in a discussion of the "drooling" comment last week.

Mike Mayock made an interesting comment about Texas CB Aaron Williams today. The NFL Network's in-house draft guru said that Williams would be the draft's top safety, if he converted from corner. His forty time of 4.53 certainly looks more like a safety.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Could this be the db Billy D. was drooling over?

Well, Sands'll never be a free safety, but damn could he be a beast in the box! I'm a little worried that his frame could be a little frail, if he's that tall and only 217 pounds. I would be very interested in seeing any medical reports on him and seeing how much, if any time he missed in college. After a year or two of NFL life he very easily could put on some weight as well, which could be better, even if he loses a bit of that speed.
    I believe!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Could this be the db Billy D. was drooling over?

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Well, Sands'll never be a free safety, but damn could he be a beast in the box! I'm a little worried that his frame could be a little frail, if he's that tall and only 217 pounds. I would be very interested in seeing any medical reports on him and seeing how much, if any time he missed in college. After a year or two of NFL life he very easily could put on some weight as well, which could be better, even if he loses a bit of that speed.
    What makes you say that? As someone who watched every game he played in at WVU, he showed tremendous range as a deep coverage safety. This year, he was asked to play more of a bandit role because of injuries and did well, but his ability to play the ball in the air is quite good.