MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Could this development help us keep Danny A.?

Per The Red Zone:
    Welker, Patriots closing in on a multi-year deal
    March 5th

Wes Welker and the Patriots are closing in on a multi-year contract that would allow Welker to finish his career in New England, Mike Giardi of CSN New England reports. An NFL source says that the two sides are hoping to have something finalized before the onset of free agency on March 12.

According to the source, the two sides have come to the understanding that they are far better with one another than without.

Unlike last year when Welker took what he called a "leap of faith" by accepting the team's franchise tender in the hopes that a long term deal would be worked out, this time the two sides are -- according to the source -- far more willing to compromise than at the same point last year.

Despite having more receptions than any receiver since 2007, Welker began last season behind Julian Edelman on the depth chart and did not begin seeing regular action until after tight end Aaron Hernandez went down in Week 2 with an ankle injury.

Hopefully the same logic can be used to retain Danny - we'll see soon enough I guess ..
    "the two sides have come to the understanding that they are far better with one another than without."

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Could this development help us keep Danny A.?

There's also a report out there that Welker may not command much on the free agent market because he's viewed around the league as an older player whose success is very much tied to the scheme and how he's used in it.

It's a lot easier to come to the conclusion that you're better off where you are if your options elsewhere aren't really that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There's also a report out there that Welker may not command much on the free agent market because he's viewed around the league as an older player whose success is very much tied to the scheme and how he's used in it.

It's a lot easier to come to the conclusion that you're better off where you are if your options elsewhere aren't really that great.
    Those sentiments were expressed on ESPN radio yesterday about Welker. They also briefly commented on Danny A., giving him high praise - "a really good all around football player." Danny will be 28 in November, and has more tread on his tires than Wes for sure. That said, I was hoping that the rapport he appears to have with Sam and Schotty's offense might carry some weight in his decision. However, if a team is willing to give him crazy money (meaning said team is betting on his staying healthy for an entire season), then it will be bye bye Danny. At least the Pats' potential resigning Welker will remove one likely suitor for Danny. I still am holding out hope Danny stays a Ram ..

Rambos is online now Registered User

If Wes comes off the market doesn't that make Amendola the best slot receiver available? The only team out of the mix would be the Pats but it my also create more of a demand.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Denver, Whiners, and Bears could all be in need of DA's services... probably some other teams that I cant think of right now

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If Wes comes off the market doesn't that make Amendola the best slot receiver available? The only team out of the mix would be the Pats but it my also create more of a demand.
    The "best" when he is able to stay on the field .. His durability issues are likely going to impact what teams are willing to offer him.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

All Danny needs is one team that thinks he's worth more than the Rams are willing to pay.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    The "best" when he is able to stay on the field .. His durability issues are likely going to impact what teams are willing to offer him.
    I agree all teams will have to factor that when it comes to the price. I wonder if some teams will look at the surface he plays on and factor that in...

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'd rather draft Austin than pay Danny more than 5 million a year. Actually I'd rather draft Austin period.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'd rather draft Austin than pay Danny more than 5 million a year. Actually I'd rather draft Austin period.
    It would really be hard to argue that.

The only knock on Austin is his size, yet he doesn't get injured too often. Amendola, on the other hand, is always injured.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    It would really be hard to argue that.

The only knock on Austin is his size, yet he doesn't get injured too often. Amendola, on the other hand, is always injured.
    Despite Austin being smaller than Danny, he plays it safe while still being a playmaker, he'll make safeties fool themselves into tackling air if they try to lay the hammer on him. As much as I love Danny, I prefer drafting Austin if the price tag is too high on Amendola.