throwback week

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Could First Pick Prompt A Trade Of One Of These Two Vets?

The Rams have very few "surplus" players on the roster who would have any significant value in the trade market.

In fact, I can think of only two who might fit that description: Richie Incognito and Pisa Tinoisamoa.

Here are two possible scenarios:

Curry in, Pisa Out
    If the Rams take Curry in Round 1, Pisa would, in a sense, become expendible. The Rams would have their staring WLB (Witherspoon), their starting MLB (Curry) and two viable (though not ideal) candidates for SLB (Draft, Culberson). Pisa would essentially become the #2 WLB. If the Rams could obtain a 3rd round pick for him, or package him with a pick to obtain an extra Day 1 pick, that would give the Rams the ability to address MLB, OT, WR and NT in Rounds 1-3.

Monroe/J.Smith in, Incognito Out
    A similar situation arises if the Rams go OT in Round 1. That would give the Rams starters at both OT spots (Barron, Monroe/Smith), allowing Bell to stay at OG. The Rams could then trade Incognito for a pick, or package him with a pick to move up. Again, the Rams would then have a total of four picks in Rounds 1-3 to address OT, MLB, WR and NT.

Of course, neither of these plans is great for the Rams' depth, but if guys like Chamberlain, Vobora and Schuening step up (not to mention rookies that could be obtained on Day 2), I think the tradeoff would be acceptable.

Just another thing to look for on Draft Weekend!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Could First Pick Prompt A Trade Of One Of These Two Vets?

The first situation seems a lot more likely than the second. Pisa has put together some good seasons. He's a 27-year-old high energy guy, coming off his best season statistically. Another team could easily think that he might be capable of even bigger and better things with a different supporting cast.

An Incognito trade makes less sense because if anyone was willing to give up so much as a third for him, they could make an offer right now. Some teams are going to have him red-flagged for his temper or his penalties. And I don't know that the Rams are sold on Bell as the solution at guard after last season.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I would be happy trading either of those guys and our 4th for a mid 3rd round or earlier pick. Say we move up 15 or so spots from our 4th round pick I would be happy with that.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind trading Pisa for a pick.
    There is no way I would trade Pisa & a 4th to move up 15 picks.
    A good starting WLB for a 3rd rd draft pick, yes.

itsguud is offline Registered User

How are we going to get anything for Cogs? We put a 3rd round tender on him and couldn't even get that?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Just because Incognito has not received an offer yet, does not mean he won't.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

With Witherspoon moving to the weakside LB spot , Pisa is gone.
    I wouldn't mind moving Pisa for a 2nd - 4th rd pick. The Rams have to many needs to give up picks.
    New England might need a younger LB at age 27 not 37 like alot of there lb's.

RamsFan16 Guest

I can definitely see the Rams picking up Curry and trading Pisa. Pisa is playing behind Witherspoon now and has no need on this team besides backup. He can't play SS, MLB or SLB, so we'd have one hell of an expensive backup in Pisa.

I can't see us cutting Incognito if we draft Monroe/J. Smith. Why? Cutting Incogntio would create another position of need on this team, a team filled with needs the way it is. So I can't imagine it working that way. Nor would I like it to. Has Incognito had character issues? Yeah he has, but is he a good Guard? Yes. I'd rather take the chance on Incognito than cut him and take a chance on some unknown player.