Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Could Michael Vick be an option for St. Louis Rams?

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    No need to get worked up, either it will happen or it won't. Although I find it funny, with the horrible play at QB last year, people would be unwilling to take a risk to improve the position. This is especially the case if the Rams choose to draft a QB in the second round or later. QB is the most important position in the NFL, period. As long as the Rams keep drafting Def linemen with their high picks and treat the QB position as an after-thought, we are going to suck. I think it is utter folly to put off getting a potential franchise QB another year. I think the management realizes this, so they will take a risk with the QB position in the off season. Whether that means getting a QB with the #1 pick or getting Vick. They will not throw next season in the garbage by making a new QB an afterthought. I don't care how good Su might be, he will not make us a winning team and they know that. They will make a big move, my prediction is they pick up Vick or draft a QB #1. Jason Campbell is only a marginal upgrade to the position, I don't think he is a consideration in front of Vick.

I seem to remember a few teams that the QB wasnt the most important position. The 2000 Ravens for example had trent dilfer as QB, not exactly a name that pops up when you think of great players. They had a strong ground game, which we have, and a strong defense, which we are working on. If i remember correctly they won the superbowl.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    I seem to remember a few teams that the QB wasnt the most important position. The 2000 Ravens for example had trent dilfer as QB, not exactly a name that pops up when you think of great players. They had a strong ground game, which we have, and a strong defense, which we are working on. If i remember correctly they won the superbowl.
    Yes, lets build a team according the exception to the rule. I hate to break it to you, our defense is not simply one missing piece away from being dominant. How many points did they give up last season? Maybe they didn't quit, but they sure got BEAT.

People who compare the Rams defense + Su to the 2000 Ravens really aren't looking at things realistically. Not to mention, it is not a forgone conclusion that Su will be an NFL star.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Yes, lets build a team according the exception to the rule. I hate to break it to you, our defense is not simply one missing piece away from being dominant. How many points did they give up last season? Maybe they didn't quit, but they sure got BEAT.

People who compare the Rams defense + Su to the 2000 Ravens really aren't looking at things realistically. Not to mention, it is not a forgone conclusion that Su will be an NFL star.
    We're far closer to building a lethal defense than we are to being able to win with offense. Maybe not one piece away, but fewer pieces are needed to build the killer defense than to recreate the playmaking GSOT offense some (many?) St. Louisans pine for.

Lets not let the quest for a dominant this or that work against our chances for competing. A balanced approach is obviously the solution here.

Lets not let the quest for a dominant this or that work against our chances for competing. A balanced approach is obviously the solution here.
    The reality is we can't compete next year regardless of what we do.

So with that in mind, let's build something that can compete in 2011. A lethal defense can be built by then. A good offense can't.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    The reality is we can't compete next year regardless of what we do.

So with that in mind, let's build something that can compete in 2011. A lethal defense can be built by then. A good offense can't.
    That is not true. We have the basis for a dominant running game (the only real place on the team where that term might have some meaning). We have a defense (if given some time on the sidelines) that will keep us in most games. We have some decent, if young WRs. What we need is a QB that can make plays and convert those 3rd downs that sent the offense to the sidelines in 2009. We can compete and we should try to make that happen. We can win some games next year, but only if the Rams commit to doing something about the QB situation.

That is not true. We have the basis for a dominant running game (the only real place on the team where that term might have some meaning). We have a defense (if given some time on the sidelines) that will keep us in most games. We have some decent, if young WRs. What we need is a QB that can make plays and convert those 3rd downs that sent the offense to the sidelines in 2009. We can compete and we should try to make that happen. We can win some games next year, but only if the Rams commit to doing something about the QB situation.
    We need a better line and a 2nd RB to have said dominant running game, as well as a credible receiving threat.

Scoring 20 points was a virtual impossibility with this "offensive core" last season. You can't honestly expect me to believe that a QB alone changes that. Nor can you expect me to believe that we can acquire the pieces to win more than 6 games in one offseason.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm not sure the pursuit of dominance has ever worked against a team's chances. But that aside, I'm curious what makes you think a QB with the #1 pick will bring "balance" to the team?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm not sure the pursuit of dominance has ever worked against a team's chances. But that aside, I'm curious what makes you think a QB with the #1 pick will bring "balance" to the team?
    Our defense is much more effective (imo) than the offense, I am speaking of making picks from that perspective.

Look, my overall point is that the QB positions needs to be addressed now, not later. It would be ideal if we could find an effective FA so we could pick Su and still try to compete next year.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Look, my overall point is that the QB positions needs to be addressed now, not later. It would be ideal if we could find an effective FA so we could pick Su and still try to compete next year.
    Should we still address the QB situation this year even though there is no available free agent or draft prospect that could really improve the offense?

Our defense is much more effective (imo) than the offense, I am speaking of making picks from that perspective.

At some point, "Regardless of what we do, we have no hope to win more that 6 Games next season" is going to sink in.

I hope it's soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234