throwback week

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Could the Rams end up wit the third (defensive) pick?

If Vince Young and Brady Quinn come out, the Rams could have the 3rd defensive choice. Here's how:

1) Houston: You have to figure they would either take Reggie Bush or, if Carr is moved, a QB.

2) San Francisco: I don't see any defensive player going #2, and the ***** could use a big OT like Ferguson.

3) N.Y. Jets: With Pennington a big ?, they will be tempted to go with Leinart, Quinn or Young. DeAngelo Williams also a possiblity, with Curtis Martin's HOF career winding down.

4) Green Bay: Defense a definite possibility here. I can see them going CB (Jimmy Williams).

5) New Orleans: Could definitely go QB (Young or Quinn).

6) Tennessee: Could see the second defensive player go here (A.J. Hawk, Mario Williams?)

7) Oakland: If Quinn or Young were to fall this far, they would be very tempted. Otherwise, I'd expect them to go OT (Eric Winston).

8) Arizona: Gotta go O line (Joe Thomas?)

9) Detroit: Again, another team that could use a QB. Maybe Drew Olson?

10) Buffalo: Eric Moulds is on the way out. Another quality WR for young QB Losman is the likely choice here (Santonio Holmes).

11) Baltimore: Yet another team that could be in the QB market. Otherwise, could use skill position firepower (WR, RB). Martin Nance maybe.

So, that leaves the Rams with the #3 defensive pick in the draft.

Not bad!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-12-2005 at 12:32 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Could the Rams end up wit the third (defensive) pick?

Neither will come out though.....I know VY won't be. He isn't ready and he knows it.

RamJackson39 Guest

I notice that you didnt even mention Matt Leinart.

Tx is right, neither will come out. Also, if the Texans take Bush or Ferguson; they should officially be disbanded and sold to someone that will actually fix their problems.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I notice that you didnt even mention Matt Leinart.

Tx is right, neither will come out. Also, if the Texans take Bush or Ferguson; they should officially be disbanded and sold to someone that will actually fix their problems.
    I didn't mention him, but I was thinking of him at the top (Jets maybe) along with Quinn and Young.

The point, though, is that the majority of teams above the Rams are likely to go for offense, giving the Rams their choice of some top notch players.

RamJackson39 Guest

My belief is that the Saints will go LB. They like their prospect in McPherson and Brooks has shown flashes from time to time. I really believe that they're going to go defense.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Honestly, I seriously doubt Quinn comes out. Weis has already said he's going to advise him to stay, and Quinn has made comments that suggest he'll be staying. Quinn has a chance to challenge Adrian Peterson for the first overall pick next year, and there's a big difference between that and Top Ten in 2006.

As for the teams...

Houston - With Davis already under a long-term deal, I see Houston either going Leinart or trading down. At this point, this pick will be a skill position player from USC. Just depends which one, and which team selects him.

San Fran - If Bush is on the table, the pick is him. If not, the ***** could reach for a defensive player like Jimmy or Super Mario, or they could take a RB. Right now it looks like a reach to take a defensive player here, but that could change after the combine. I'm not sure the Whiners go OT here, unless they conclude Harris is a bust and move Jennings to the right side.

NY Jets - The Jets' big board should go Bush, Leinart, and then either Ferguson or another RB. They're bound to get someone they want, and you have to believe it'll be on the offensive side of the ball.

Green Bay - Green Bay may go defense, but if they do, I don't think it's a cornerback. I think they either go linebacker or defensive line. They also could go offense and find a replacement for Ahmad Green, who may not get resigned.

New Orleans - The Saints need defensive help. They may take a day one quarterback, but I'm really not convinced it'll be in the first round. Saints either take a LB or a CB here, assuming they have their pick between Hawk or Jimmy Williams. If one's gone, I think they take the other. Only if both are gone and no other LB or CB have risen up the board do I see QB as a chance here.

Tennessee - Titans have gotten good production out of their DE's this year, at least to the point of not needing to draft one in the first round. They could go LB, as they need an upgrade particularly in the middle. But their biggest need right now is probably OT. If Young were to come out and last this long, I could see him going here. I guess he has some kind of relationship with Steve McNair, and the Titans need a QB of the future.

Oakland - I don't see them taking a QB in round one. They drafted Andrew Walter in the third, and I think they're content with him for right now as their future guy. And there's no way I see them drafting another first round OT after taking Gallery, what, two years ago? Raiders have huge defensive needs at every position except CB. They either go DL, S, or LB.

Arizona - They have one of the worst run D's in the league. I don't think they have to go O-line. They could take the best LB available or take a DT like Haloti Ngata to plug the middle of the D-line.

Detroit - Too high for Drew Olson right now, IMO. Detroit could either go OT or DB here because I think they have needs at both positions. TE also makes sense.

Buffalo - Unless Santonio Holmes comes out and really impresses, I don't see a WR going in the top ten. There's no Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson in this class right now. That could change, but I'd be shocked to see a WR go in the top 15. Bills have needs at OT and on the defensive line. If Ngata is here, he'd be a nice replacement for Pat Williams.

Baltimore - If a top QB is here, I could see them taking him. Otherwise, I think they go DL with FS and OL also being some needs that could be met but maybe not this high. Again, don't see a WR going this high, and I don't understand the case for a RB. If Jamal Lewis isn't a Raven in 2006, Chester Taylor will be.

All in all, the Rams could have the third defensive pick. But I suspect they'll have the fifth one at this point. I see Jimmy Williams, Mario Williams, and AJ Hawk gone by the time we pick. I hope that means we don't get Mathias Kiwanuka, because I'm not as in love with him as other people are, and I'd prefer help at DB or LB.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

clan-ram01 Guest

UHmm Calvin johnson is going to get drafted by the lions. you know how they love them first round recievers. lol.

stefer_footballdude1 Guest

man you guys think soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much, it cant be good for your stress levels