Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Could Rams luck out and get Clowney, Barr, and a stud Safety in the 1st round?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Could Rams luck out and get Clowney, Barr, and a stud Safety in the 1st round?

First of all let me start off by saying I highly doubt this scenario would play out, nevertheless it's still fun to think about. Depending on who Houston takes first, and if the Rams were able to trade down with CLE, they could hypothetically rebuild they're entire defense in one year. Well here's how things would play out in this mock:

1. HOU - Bridgewater (best case scenario for the Rams, leaving both Manziel and Clowney for the Rams to use as bait)

2. CLE - Manziel (trade with Rams for #4 and#26, the Browns get the QB to give their fans hope)

3. JAX - Bortles (they need a QB in the worst way and Bortles would start from day one)

4. STL - Clowney (too good a talent to pass up, Greg Williams will find a place to play him)

5. OAK - Watkins (Raiders love their speed guys, and he might just be the fastest)

6. ATL - Matthews (besides defense, the OL is their biggest weakness)

7. TAM - Robinson (like ATL they could also go defense, but Robinson is too good a prospect to pass up)

8. MIN - Carr (has the tools to be the best QB in the draft)

9. BUF - Evans (could also go with Mack due to his Buffalo connection, but a tall WR just makes too much sense here)

10. DET - Gilbert (fits a huge need here, could also go Dennard depending who they have ranked higher)

11. TEN - Mack (could either go with Mack or Barr here, but for the sake of not ruining this entire post I think they grab Mack)

12. NYG - Lewan (Eli was sacked 39 times last year, and grabbing Lewan would solve that problem)

13. STL - Barr (doesn't fit a huge need, but he's the BPA and Greg Williams would love to have a player like him blitzing off the edge)

Now I'm not going to go through picks 14-25, but out of all those picks the only teams that have a huge need for Safety are the Bears at 14, the Cowboys at 17, and the Packers at 21. With Ha-Ha, Calvin Pryor, and LaMarcus Joyner still on the board, not too mention a lot of other good prospects, chances are pretty good that the Rams will be able to at least get one of the three stud Safeties at 26. I know that the Rams have other needs offensively, specifically along the OL and at WR, but I think the strength of this Rams team is it's defense so why not turn this Greg Williams' led defense from pretty good a year ago to downright nasty in just one draft?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Could Rams luck out and get Clowney, Barr, and a stud Safety in the 1st round?

If this scenario played out, our defense could be elite.

It would really need to be in order to bail out the neglected offense.

Any scenario not involving at least one 1st round OL gives me nightmares...
    MauiRam, chiguy, cfh128 and 2 others like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: Could Rams luck out and get Clowney, Barr, and a stud Safety in the 1st round?

I really doubt that Manziel would be wanted by anyone at 2. I also cannot imagine that JAX is looking at Manziel either. I think no matter what plays out at 1, Manziel would be there at 4.

Bortles makes worlds of sense at 3 for JAX. The main reason being that he played and is From FL. So the hometown support would be a great draw for JAX

The only way I see someone moving up to 2 is if A) someone covets Clowney (if hes not taken 1st) or B) some team other than CLE wants a QB.

If HOU takes Clowney then I can see JAX maybe taking Bridgewater over Bortles, however at this point in time Bortles makes more Business sense for a small market team like JAX.

As the rumor mill has stated, CLE likes Manziel-- and I think he will be available at 4.

As far as Barr-- he's yet another guy Im not sold on. Id rather have KMack over Barr if the Rams are to choose a LB. In fact I think Kyle Van Noy will be a better pro than Barr.
    Last edited by punahou; -02-07-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post

It would really need to be in order to bail out the neglected offense.

Any scenario not involving at least one 1st round OL gives me nightmares...
    Neglected offense? You've got to be kidding.

If I'm estimating correctly, we'd have exactly 6 rounds of drafting left, to address the offense if we so chose.

So I wouldn't be ready to jump out of a window just yet.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Neglected offense? You've got to be kidding.

If I'm estimating correctly, we'd have exactly 6 rounds of drafting left, to address the offense if we so chose.

So I wouldn't be ready to jump out of a window just yet.
    Kidding? I'm far from it.

We have MAJOR question marks on the OL and have yet to secure a No.1 wideout since Torry Holt departed. If we had THREE first round picks, and chose to use them all on the defense, I would consider that neglecting the offense.

Sure, we have rounds 2-7, but I'm fairly certain the best prospects tend to get selected in the 1st round. I'd like to get at least one legit offensive prospect in the first if we had three chances at it.
    Nick, MauiRam and cfh128 like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it could happen because I wouldn't be shocked if Barr slipped, but I think it would mean someone the Rams really like would have to sit on sub packages when the fifth DB came on the field, so I don't think it's necessary or makes a lot of sense.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'd predict a lot of 14-7 losses for the Rams. You're spot on about helping the offense.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Here is the other "problem" with this draft…any draft that doesn't get us a CB who is going to be on the field more than a DE/OLB makes almost no sense. Clowney and Barr are luxury picks. We're not good enough to afford luxury picks.
    mde8352gorams and Mikey like this.

We have MAJOR question marks on the OL and have yet to secure a No.1 wideout since Torry Holt departed. If we had THREE first round picks, and chose to use them all on the defense, I would consider that neglecting the offense.

Sure, we have rounds 2-7, but I'm fairly certain the best prospects tend to get selected in the 1st round. I'd like to get at least one legit offensive prospect in the first if we had three chances at it.
    Not necessarily, most of the Seahawks offense are made up of guys picked up after the 1st round and they seem to be doing just fine. Actually the only players drafted in the 1st round by them are a couple OLineman (Okung and Carpenter), Harvin (they traded a 1st to get him from Minny) and Lynch (who Buffalo drafted in the 1st but who they got for just a 4th and 5th rounder). As for the Rams needing a 1st round WR to be successful, I disagree. Out of the Hawks two starting WR's, Tate wasn't drafted till the end of the 2nd round and Baldwin wasn't drafted at all. However, I do think that improving our OL is important, but I'd be happy with having Long and Barksdale at the Tackle position (depending on if Long is 100 % healthy) for another year and drafting some Guards in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I'd predict a lot of 14-7 losses for the Rams. You're spot on about helping the offense.
    Having a healthy Sam Bradford back would immediately make our offense better (especially with Zac Stacy playing in the backfield the way he did last year), and we could improve our line without the use of 1st rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    As far as Barr-- he's yet another guy Im not sold on. Id rather have KMack over Barr if the Rams are to choose a LB. In fact I think Kyle Van Noy will be a better pro than Barr.
    I honestly would prefer Mack too, and I'm starting to change my tune on Barr. The more and more tape I see of him the less I like him. He's really athletic, but I think he could easily be a bust.

Ok, let's fast-forward to late April............

Rodger Saffold is re-signed, Chris Williams is back and we get news that Jake Long and Sam Bradford are either right on or ahead of schedule in their rehab assignments.

Would that change anything for you, or do you just think we need to upgrade the Oline, to the tune of using 1st round picks?

My theory is if we can re-sign Saffold to play LT until Long returns, move back to RG when he does. Bring back Chris Williams at LG, and if Barrett Jones is ready to take over at center and Barksdale at RT, we'll be fine.

In that scenario, we'd be in a position to look for depth in the draft, which would be ideal IMO, and thus no need to spend 1st round picks on Olinemen.

I personally believe continuity and cohesion are the most important aspects of building a good offensive line, not necessarily 1st round picks.

That is why you find Pro-bowl linemen all over the league who were not 1st round picks.

I am with you on a number one WR, particularly if it is one that we don't yet have on the roster (big and physical). My preference is Kelvin Benjamin because looks like he would be a great downfield blocker as well, but wouldn't mind Mike Evans.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    When it comes to the OL, terms like "good enough" and "fine" make me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    When it comes to the OL, terms like "good enough" and "fine" make me nervous.
    Would "good enough" to make Sam Bradford a Pro-bowl QB also make you nervous?
    Vinnie25 likes this.

IMO an OL of Long - Williams - B. Jones - Saffold - Barksdale would be more than "fine", just look at how well they played at the end of the year (well everybody but Barrett). Now if we were able to draft an OG in the 2nd or 3rd round such as Gabe Jackson, Cyril Richardson, or David Yankey, or even another T like Morgan Moses, that would just make our OL that much better
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast