Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Could Rams luck out and get Clowney, Barr, and a stud Safety in the 1st round?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Could Rams luck out and get Clowney, Barr, and a stud Safety in the 1st round?

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Ok, let's fast-forward to late April............

Rodger Saffold is re-signed, Chris Williams is back and we get news that Jake Long and Sam Bradford are either right on or ahead of schedule in their rehab assignments.

Would that change anything for you, or do you just think we need to upgrade the Oline, to the tune of using 1st round picks?

My theory is if we can re-sign Saffold to play LT until Long returns, move back to RG when he does. Bring back Chris Williams at LG, and if Barrett Jones is ready to take over at center and Barksdale at RT, we'll be fine.

In that scenario, we'd be in a position to look for depth in the draft, which would be ideal IMO, and thus no need to spend 1st round picks on Olinemen.

I personally believe continuity and cohesion are the most important aspects of building a good offensive line, not necessarily 1st round picks.

That is why you find Pro-bowl linemen all over the league who were not 1st round picks.

I am with you on a number one WR, particularly if it is one that we don't yet have on the roster (big and physical). My preference is Kelvin Benjamin because looks like he would be a great downfield blocker as well, but wouldn't mind Mike Evans.
    I don't think the Rams resign Saffold. Jake Long looks like week four will be his target date to return. That said we drafted Saffold in the second round so why can't we find another tackle in round two? I could see Joe Barksdale who made his first NFL start at left tackle against the Green Bay Packers and played well, hold down the left side until Long gets back.

We could draft someone like Antonio Richardson.

12/11/2013 - 2013 ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-SEC SECOND TEAM: OL - Antonio Richardson (Tie), Tennessee, 6-6, 327, Jr,...Nashville, Tenn. native Richardson, who was named to the AP All-SEC second team last season, has started the last 24 games at left tackle for the Vols. Over the course of the season, the Vols offensive line helped UT to five 200-yard rushing games and a 1,000-yard rusher in Rajion Neal, the first 1,000 yard rusher since Poole in 2010

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Could Rams luck out and get Clowney, Barr, and a stud Safety in the 1st round?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I don't think the Rams resign Saffold.
    I don't know why, but I believe we do at this point. I think he'll settle in the neighborhood of what a near the top OG salary is, and play RG for us.

Obviously, that would likely mean the end for Harvey Dahl and/or Scott Wells, but I'd certainly be fine with that, especially if Barrett Jones is ready to make a contribution.

On the other hand, if we can't re-sign him, your plan B makes a lot of sense.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I don't think the Rams resign Saffold.
    I actually think there's a pretty good chance the Rams will resign him, mainly due to the fact that there are going to be much more attractive OT's and OG's in FA. If Saffold tries to market himself as an OT, I have him ranked behind Eugene Monroe, Brandon Albert, and Jared Veldheer (maybe even Austin Howard from the Jets). As for OG's, he'd probably be second behind Geoff Schwartz.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't know why, but I believe we do at this point. I think he'll settle in the neighborhood of what a near the top OG salary is, and play RG for us.
    The top OGs in the league are averaging $7-8 million per year with guarantees in the $15-20 million range. I have no interest in seeing the Rams give that kind of money to a player who, while talented, hasn't started more than ten games since his rookie season. If that's what it's going to take to sign him, and that's a big if, I wish him well at his new destination.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I just don't why anyone would object to upgrading the offense as our first priority. Long is an unknown, Saffold coming back is unknown, Wells and Dahl are unknowns, and Williams and Smith are mediocre. We really don't know what we have with Barnes or the guy we drafted last year yet. That leaves us with Barksdale who has exactly one decent year. To make things worse, three of the best defenses on the NFL are in our division and if we can't run the ball, they will kill us. Even if some of these things get resolved before the draft, the number of OL injuries we've seen in recent years shows we could use more talent and depth if not upgrades.
    MauiRam, ramsbruce and FestusRam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The top OGs in the league are averaging $7-8 million per year with guarantees in the $15-20 million range. I have no interest in seeing the Rams give that kind of money to a player who, while talented, hasn't started more than ten games since his rookie season. If that's what it's going to take to sign him, and that's a big if, I wish him well at his new destination.
    If it takes that much, I am with you. I'm thinking more in the 5 to 6 million dollar range.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Not necessarily, most of the Seahawks offense are made up of guys picked up after the 1st round and they seem to be doing just fine. Actually the only players drafted in the 1st round by them are a couple OLineman (Okung and Carpenter), Harvin (they traded a 1st to get him from Minny) and Lynch (who Buffalo drafted in the 1st but who they got for just a 4th and 5th rounder).
    What you mean is that the Seahawks have just about done the impossible in terms of the talent they've received on the cheap. Using them as a reference is pretty ridiculous in this situation.

And if this is your argument, then why do we need to draft any other position in the first round, seeing that the Seahawks are so successful without them.

As for the Rams needing a 1st round WR to be successful, I disagree.
    Never said that.

I simply said if they used three first round picks all on D(currently the stronger unit), I would consider it neglect. I personally don't mind not taking a WR in round one. I'd rather have an OL.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-09-2014 at 12:32 AM.

My theory is if we can re-sign Saffold to play LT until Long returns, move back to RG when he does. Bring back Chris Williams at LG, and if Barrett Jones is ready to take over at center and Barksdale at RT, we'll be fine.
    Potential problems with this theory...
    1. Saffold not resigning(very possible).
    2. Chris Williams returning and playing mediocre, much like this year.
    3. Barrett Jones not panning out(he hasn't proven a single thing in the NFL as of now).

Sure, if all of this pans out, and our oft-injured lineman can stay healthy, we MIGHT have a solid OL.

However, if we have THREE first round picks, I see no reason not to use just one to shore up line.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-09-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    chiguy likes this.

IMO an OL of Long - Williams - B. Jones - Saffold - Barksdale would be more than "fine"
    Long-Tore his ACL at the end of the season. Love his talent but he's injury prone.

Williams-Mediocre player who needs to be replaced.

B. Jones-4th round pick who has yet to prove anything in the NFL.

Saffold-Free Agent. We can't just assume he's going to be resigned. Also injury prone.

Barksdale-Solid play last season. He still has more to prove though.

I personally don't see this line as "fine", at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Potential problems with this theory...
    1. Saffold not resigning(very possible).
    2. Chris Williams returning and playing mediocre, much like this year.
    3. Barrett Jones not panning out(he hasn't proven a single thing in the NFL as of now).

Sure, if all of this pans out, and our oft-injured lineman can stay healthy, we MIGHT have a solid OL.

However, if we have THREE first round picks, I see no reason not to use just one to shore up line.
    As we know, there are potential problems with any theory. See Jason Smith or Alex Barron.

As we know, there are potential problems with any theory. See Jason Smith or Alex Barron.
    So, because people who aren't even in the Rams organization anymore had bad luck with high OL picks, you're ready to give up on the idea altogether? Is that your point?

I personally won't let the unsuccessful selections of past regimes cloud my judgement on the topic.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Would that include Clowney as our first pick? Just curious ..

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    So, because people who aren't even in the Rams organization anymore had bad luck with high OL picks, you're ready to give up on the idea altogether? Is that your point?

I personally won't let the unsuccessful selections of past regimes cloud my judgement on the topic.
    Hate to break it to you but this regime has had just as much misses as hits. For every surprising player like Zac Stacy, Trumaine Johnson, and Stedman Bailey there is a Isaiah Pead, Brian Quick, and Lance Kendricks. I'm not saying the Rams shouldn't draft an OL early in the draft, but if there is a defensive stud available when we draft I'd rather go with that and help a strength. History shows that teams with dominant defenses and okay offenses win in the playoffs more than teams with okay defenses and dominant offenses, especially when those defenses create turnovers.

Hate to break it to you but this regime has had just as much misses as hits. For every surprising player like Zac Stacy, Trumaine Johnson, and Stedman Bailey there is a Isaiah Pead, Brian Quick, and Lance Kendricks.
    You mean the Lance Kendricks that DeSpags drafted? Also, don't count Quick out just yet.

Anyways, your point proves nothing. I'm done arguing over hits/misses on past draft picks, seeing that it doesn't hold any weight in terms of future drafts.

I'm not saying the Rams shouldn't draft an OL early in the draft, but if there is a defensive stud available when we draft I'd rather go with that and help a strength.
    I get it. Once again, at some point in the first round I want an offensive lineman stud, rather than a defensive stud. I don't know how much I can stress that we have three first rounders in this situation, not only one.

History shows that teams with dominant defenses and okay offenses win in the playoffs more than teams with okay defenses and dominant offenses, especially when those defenses create turnovers.
    I'm calling BS on this one. In the last decade, we've seen just as many high-octane offenses have success in the postseason as dominant defenses. Your statement really oversimplifies football too, in my opinion.

Before we go worrying about playoffs, how about we keep our QB upright and create holes for our RB? Our defense has proven its fairly close to the elite level, so why not give the other side of the ball at least a little help?

How 'bout we create a BALANCED football team.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-09-2014 at 04:13 AM.
    HUbison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Would that include Clowney as our first pick? Just curious ..
    Of course not.

Fortu has done his share of scouting and he's pounding the table for Clowney.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast