tmfran is offline Registered User
    Here are a couple separate ideas on how the Rams can improve this offseason and start building for the future. I think the first one is very realistic and the second one is a little more dream like.

First trade for Michael Vick. I think Philly picks up the option and trades him to STL for their 5th round pick they traded us in the Witherspoon trade. Very similar to a player to be named later in a baseball type trade. Something that may have been talked about when the trade first came together. So in the end that trade ends up being Vick and Gibson for Witherspoon.

Then the Rams trade pick 1.1 to TB for picks 1.3, 2.3, and 3.3

Draft day (1st round)- Suh and McCoy go 1, 2. Rams take best DE in the draft, hopefully someone like Morgan will jump up the boards after the combine.

2nd round Rams pick best LB available @ 2.1-Spikes or Weatherspoon may fall here. Pick 2.3 take the best OG available-maybe Iupati or Asamoah.

3rd Round Rams pick a DT like LaMarr Houston or D'Anthony Smith @ 3.1 and WR Danario Alexander or RB Toby Gerhart @ 3.3

4Th Round Rams take QB Colt McCoy

5th round on BPA

Team looks like this
    QB-Vick, McCoy, Null
    RB-Jackson, Darby, maybe pick 3.3 (Gerhart)
    WR-Avery, Robinson, Gibson, Maybe 3.3 (Alexander)
    TE-McMichael or F/A
    LT-Barron (resign)
    LG-Bell
    C-Brown
    RG-pick 2.3
    RT-Brown
    DE-Long, pick 1.3
    DT-Carriker, pick 3.1, Ryan rotate in
    LB-laurinaitis, pick 2.1, F/A
    CB-Bartell, Fletcher, King
    S-OJ, Butler

2nd Idea

Trade for Vick as stated in my first idea then sign Plaxico Burress. I know he’s currently in Prison, but I believe he will be released on work release by June 1.

Make the same trade with TB. Then Spags and Billy D start talking up Claussin and how they will take him at pick 1.3. They talk about him backing up Vick for a season and then starting in 2011. This forces the Redskins to make a trade with the Rams, so they can get Claussin. So Washington gives up picks 1.4 and 3.4 for pick 1.3

Heading into the Draft, the Rams have picks 1.4, 2.1, 2.3, 3.1, 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1

Pick 1.4- Rams take best DE in the draft, hopefully someone like Morgan will jump up the boards after the combine.

Pick 2.1 best LB available-Spikes or Weatherspoon may fall here. Pick 2.3 take the best OG available-maybe Iupati or Asamoah.

Pick 3.1- DT like LaMarr Houston or D'Anthony Smith Pick 3.3-WR Danario Alexander, Pick 3.4 Toby Gerhart

4Th Round Rams take QB Colt McCoy

5th round on BPA

Team looks like this
    QB-Vick, McCoy, Null
    RB-Jackson, Darby, pick 3.4 (Gerhart)
    WR-Burress, Avery, Robinson, Gibson, pick 3.3 (Alexander)
    TE-McMichael, F/A, late draft pick
    LT-Barron (resign)
    LG-Bell
    C-Brown
    RG-pick 2.3
    RT-Brown
    DE-Long, pick 1.4
    DT-Carriker, pick 3.1, Ryan rotate in
    LB-laurinaitis, pick 2.1, F/A
    CB-Bartell, Fletcher, King
    S-OJ, Butler
    Last edited by Nick; -01-23-2010 at 12:10 PM.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: A couple ideas for rebuilding

A for effort, but even the "realistic" version seems highly unlikely to me.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I always appreciate the effort but personally there isn't a lot I like about this.

Vick as a back-up... maybe. Vick as a starter... never.

I don't mind trading down but if we pass on Suh only to pick another position on the DL ... I won't be a happy camper.

Tampa won't give up that much and I don't see Washington giving up that much with Bradford still on the board.

I seriously doubt Colt McCoy drops to the 4th round.

Last but not least I'm going to suggest we don't sign anyone that will miss the first camp because they are in prison.

But I do like LaMarr Houston.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1. Vick is bad. See numerous other threads on this topic for details.
    2. Right now a lot of people have McCoy as the third best QB in this draft. Even if Bradford, Clausen, Pike, Snead, and Tebow all go before him, I'm still not sure he'd last through the first three rounds.
    3. It's just speculation at this point that the Redskins would covet Clausen. Bradford is the guy everyone wanted last season

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I always appreciate the effort but personally there isn't a lot I like about this.
    Same thing I was thinking. The effort is appreciated, but I don't find either scenario particularly realistic or enticing. To name a few reasons, I'm not a Vick fan and certainly wouldn't like trading for him. I don't think guys like Burress or Spikes fit the character profile of this team. I don't like the idea of trading down and passing on Suh who is great value at the top of the draft in order to hope a DE of lesser value improves his stock enough to be a good pick @ third overall. I think it's possible McCoy may slide but fourth round is a bit of a stretch at this point, IMO. And if the Rams are going to use a pick on the OL, I'd rather it be at OT than OG because I think we at least have some personnel at guard.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-23-2010 at 12:19 PM.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

First trade for Michael Vick. I think Philly picks up the option and trades him to STL for their 5th round pick they traded us in the Witherspoon trade. Very similar to a player to be named later in a baseball type trade. Something that may have been talked about when the trade first came together. So in the end that trade ends up being Vick and Gibson for Witherspoon.

I think that was the plan all along, like it or not. New ownership might change that however.

So if you have Vick, 2nd pick, and Null at QB. Whoever plays better starts. Cheapest way to get a new face at QB IMO, and most importantly we will be a BALL CONTROL offense and so the QB position is more of a dont screw up, than a make a big play offense. There have been a ton of crappy QBs that make that work.

Get Suh PERIOD!

The rest of the draft I trust DeSpags eye to get what they can.They were dragging out POSSIBLE gems all last season from other teams.

Throw the FARM at Vincent Jackson to pry him away from SD, he the absolute best #1 to have in our system IMO.

Get a FA backup RB, a good one, while Darby and Samkon can find work somewhere else. OB is 3rd RB.

After the Suh pick I would spend the entire draft on Offensive needs. LBs are something I think we can wait or STAND PAT with for now.If we get Suh the DL will be so competitive I think we will see results from game 1. Youngest DL in the NFL.

Oh well, we shall see how it all plays out.