throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crabtree

general counsel is offline Registered User

crabtree

Like many, i am intrigued by crabtree. What i cant figure out however is how anyone could seriously consider him at #2 unless and until he runs the 40 in a terrific time. Up until we see his 40 time, its pure speculation as to any consideration at all as to whether he is a top 5 pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: crabtree

The last news I heard was that Crabtree wasn't going to run the 40-yard at the combine.

Chase the Eagles Fan Guest

It is reported that he will not run the 40 at the Combine...he would still the opportunity to do it at T-Tech's Pro Day but that's light years away...

I'm expecting him in the low 4.5 range...nothing that would change anybody's opinion on him.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Like many, i am intrigued by crabtree. What i cant figure out however is how anyone could seriously consider him at #2 unless and until he runs the 40 in a terrific time. Up until we see his 40 time, its pure speculation as to any consideration at all as to whether he is a top 5 pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Question:

Does 40 time define how good a WR will be in the NFL

Micheal Irvin
    Hines Ward
    Anquan Boldin
    Issac Bruce
    Henry Ellard
    Jerry Rice

Small list but are good examples of Great WR who are not known to be burners coming out of college...

Completely agree....but I think it's safe to say that Jerry Rice ran faster than the 4.6 he posted at the Combine.

general counsel is offline Registered User

We are talking about a top 5 nfl pick (actually #2). Of course its not required that he be a "burner" but a certain amount of speed is required and we dont have any idea what that is without a 40 time. There have been a TON of very productive college receivers who were not succesful or only moderately succesful in the pros because they couldnt create separation.

I am not suggesting that crabtree will be a mike williams like bust based on his 40 time, only that to justify a pick in the top 5, i think an excellent 40 time is essential given that there are other quaility players available and we have tons of needs.

Personally, given the number of holes we have, i want the safest pick. If that is curry so be it. We cant afford to screw up the pick and while there are no guarantees, i am happy to take the guy that spags and billy think has the best chance of contributing in the long run rather than filling an immediate need.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

SJacks039 Guest

I would rather have crab over the QB's.I think he will be very good. but I think we should take a close look at a defensive player(raji,curry,jenkins) or one of the big OT's(i saw some highlights on Jason Smith on NFLN and he was a big athletic beast). Crabtree should be tade bait for someone to give us extra picks and then we can move back n grab raji or curry. So lets hope crab runs a good forty at his proday

I like Crabtree and ultimately would be worth the pick in the long run IMHO...BUT 2nd overall for a receiver that isn't off the charts at everything?

Let's look at the last couple wide receivers taken in the Top 3 and where would Crabtree stack up if he was in the same draft with those guys....

2007 - Calvin Johnson - 3rd overall
    2005 - Braylon Edwards - 3rd overall
    2004 - Larry Fitzgerald - 3rd overall
    2003 - Charles Rogers - 2nd overall
    2003 - Andre Johnson - 3rd overall

IMO...the draft rankings with those guys all being in the same class in order would be...

1. Calvin Johnson (I know Fitz is amazing now..but Johnson is 6'4" 230 some pounds and ran a 4.3 40 yard dash..I think he would have been taken over Fitz in that draft)
    2. Larry Fitzgerald
    3. Andre Johnson
    4. Michael Crabtree
    5. Braylon Edwards
    6. Charles Rogers

I dunno...All them guys (except Rogers) are exceptional players and all them are among the elite in the NFL at their position...however none of those guys have a Super Bowl ring...and only Fitz has been in the Playoffs..makes you wonder..just how valuable is a wide receiver to a football team? To good team...it could get you over the hump...for a team bad enough to be picking in the Top 5 in the draft...it doesn't really pay dividends. Sure it sells jerseys...but...

after these guys you would have to go all the way back to 1996 to find a reciever selected in the Top 3...Keyshawn Johnson (was actually #1 overall)...

SJacks039 Guest

Does Keyshawn have a ring? Don't think so.
    Good information Chase i like ur style

I would place braylon ahead of crab just for the moment. If braylon gets his head on straight and gets rid of the 5-hour energy jitters maybe he could catch a damn ball and be a stud again.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    Does Keyshawn have a ring? Don't think so.
    Good information Chase i like ur style

I would place braylon ahead of crab just for the moment. If braylon gets his head on straight and gets rid of the 5-hour energy jitters maybe he could catch a damn ball and be a stud again.
    Actually he does have a ring as a wide out with the Bucs.....

SJacks039 Guest

good call im a dumbass

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    good call im a dumbass
    Naw just a lapse in memory We all have them

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Well all of these receivers that were picked early in the drafts, they were by teams with obvious losing records so there needs to be a little more time for them to get to the promise land

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Naw just a lapse in memory We all have them

Yeah, the Bucs offense that year (and every other year after that one for that matter) has been quite forgettable.

But to get back to the point though...

All those teams have spent first round picks on receivers and only one has cashed in...well, almost.

Matter of fact the Top 5 of the draft has been littered with alot of the same teams...

I guess you can look at the Chargers and the Giants...back in 2004 they earned had the 1st and the 4th overall picks respectively...in 2007 the Giants won the Super Bowl and the Chargers went to the AFC Championship game...so 4 seasons after hitting rock bottom (or pretty damned close to it) both teams were considered among the elite franchises in the NFL with one of them winning the Super Bowl. They both did that on the backs of the franchise quarterbacks that they drafted (and then traded) when they were at their all-time lows...

I would have to re-research but I'm pretty sure this accurate...

Since 1999...maybe even further back...only two teams that have selected wide receivers in the Top 10...went on to prominence (Conference Championship or better) with that player. There was you guys in 1999 when you drafted Torry Holt and the Cardinals with Larry Fitzgerald...the Steelers selected Plaxico in the Top 10 but he wasn't a part of their Super Bowl team in 2005.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    He has been said to run a 4.5 forty which is still higher than Larry Fitzgerald & Jerry Rice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast