throwback week

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Crabtree vs. the OT's based on history

If you look at drafting a WR vs. OT early you can see many things, and the pros and cons of both. First lets look at the WRs.

WR's drafted in the top 5 since 2003 have been Braylon Edwards, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and Charles Rodgers. Charles Rodgers is the only boneified bust. All the others have at least tasted a little success. The common theme is they only succeed with talent around them. Case A is Larry Fitzgerald who didn't start winning till they added pieces like Kurt Warner, Levi Brown, Edgerin James, and Tim Hightower. Case B Andre Johnson who didn't taste victory before Matt Schaub, Owen Daniels and more Recently Steve Slaton and Duane Brown. Case C Braylon Edwards, who didn't taste victory until Derek Anderson got hot, Joe Thomas, and Jamaal Lewis. Class D Calvin Johnson 0-16 rookie RB, no QB, horrible line.

If You have been paying attention the common denominator to the success of these great WR's is a Franchise Tackle, Franchise QB, and and a decent RB. No matter how great the WR is they cannot make an impact without some pieces around them. I would say the Rams have 2 of those 3 elements, but are definately missing the most important IMO a tackle.

Now lets look at top tackles since 2003 Joe Thomas, Jake Long, DeBrickashaw Ferguson, Robert Gallery, and Levi Brown. Gallery is the only bonefied bust, but has worked out at guard. After finishing in the bottom five in the league they all churned out winning records. Levi Brown being the worst at 8-8. Long and Ferguson making it to the playoffs at 10-6 and 11-5. Thomas just missed at 10-6. These guys obvioulsy didn't single handedly carry their teams, but as top 5 picks they made a huge impact. If you look closely you see Pennington, Anderson, and Kurt Warner, and Pennington again had bounce back years. Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Edge, Jamaal Lewis, and Leon Washington had pretyy good years durring these tackles rookie seasons.

When it comes to instant impact I think it is clear OT's provide the most out of any sucessfull top 5 pick, maybe even more than QB. I think more positions depend on OTs while WR depends on other positions. OTs have historically been able to be building blocks, while WRs have to to be built around.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Crabtree vs. the OT's based on history

Actually Calvin Johnson still did pretty damn good this year, but I understand what you're saying.

RAMPAGE! Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    If you look at drafting a WR vs. OT early you can see many things, and the pros and cons of both. First lets look at the WRs.

WR's drafted in the top 5 since 2003 have been Braylon Edwards, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and Charles Rodgers. Charles Rodgers is the only boneified bust. All the others have at least tasted a little success. The common theme is they only succeed with talent around them. Case A is Larry Fitzgerald who didn't start winning till they added pieces like Kurt Warner, Levi Brown, Edgerin James, and Tim Hightower. Case B Andre Johnson who didn't taste victory before Matt Schaub, Owen Daniels and more Recently Steve Slaton and Duane Brown. Case C Braylon Edwards, who didn't taste victory until Derek Anderson got hot, Joe Thomas, and Jamaal Lewis. Class D Calvin Johnson 0-16 rookie RB, no QB, horrible line.

If You have been paying attention the common denominator to the success of these great WR's is a Franchise Tackle, Franchise QB, and and a decent RB. No matter how great the WR is they cannot make an impact without some pieces around them. I would say the Rams have 2 of those 3 elements, but are definately missing the most important IMO a tackle.

Now lets look at top tackles since 2003 Joe Thomas, Jake Long, DeBrickashaw Ferguson, Robert Gallery, and Levi Brown. Gallery is the only bonefied bust, but has worked out at guard. After finishing in the bottom five in the league they all churned out winning records. Levi Brown being the worst at 8-8. Long and Ferguson making it to the playoffs at 10-6 and 11-5. Thomas just missed at 10-6. These guys obvioulsy didn't single handedly carry their teams, but as top 5 picks they made a huge impact. If you look closely you see Pennington, Anderson, and Kurt Warner, and Pennington again had bounce back years. Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Edge, Jamaal Lewis, and Leon Washington had pretyy good years durring these tackles rookie seasons.

When it comes to instant impact I think it is clear OT's provide the most out of any sucessfull top 5 pick, maybe even more than QB. I think more positions depend on OTs while WR depends on other positions. OTs have historically been able to be building blocks, while WRs have to to be built around.

You sir are absolutely 110% correct we must go OT that will be our foundation for a balanced mix of our RAP (Run & Pass)

Just look a what O. Pace did for our club in it's hayday, I rest my case

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Yup as much as it pains me to say, we can't go the sexy and flashy pick, we have to get some big uglies in here if we are gonna get back to winning.

Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships, o lineman build dynasties.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Great post.

Mooselini Guest

Great post. Unless we get an OT in the free agency, specifically Jordan Gross, I didn't want Crabtree.

You made clear points. The core of the team must be solid before we get a flashy selection like that.

RAMPAGE! Guest

[quote=C-Mob 71;271064]Yup big uglies quote]

God I hope I dont get dinged for this but you are correct.

Were I come from we call it "BIG GREASE" and that is what we need on our lines. We don't need anyone "Lite in the arss" as I see it because "BIG GREASE" will always come thru in a pinch