Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    schut39's Avatar
    schut39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    20
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    13

    Crowder, Scott, Butler.....

    Does anyone have any updates on who we are most likely to grab in free agency. Also how long do we have to sign our free agents so I can get a general idea of when they should be signed. I know we are looking towards linebackers like Bart Scott and Channing Crowder and centers like Matt Birk and Jeff Saturday. Also under our radar is a safety like James Butler. Any extra information on who you believe the Rams are most interested in is appreciated.



  2. #2
    djdeeznutz Guest

    Re: Crowder, Scott, Butler.....

    Last day to re-sign players is Thursday.

    So Free Agency Period begins Friday




    I think we should target Crowder and give him a contract early in the FA period before Ray Lewis and other MLB are signed because As long as Lewis is still up there Crowder wont get many phone calls and probably have to sign a low money deal . Plus teams may be concerned with his knee problem. If Crowder is too expensive then we may look elsewhere in Bart Scott (too expensive) Napoleon Harris and maybe Andrea Davis.

    I highly douby that Matt Birk or Jeff Saturday will be whereing a Rams uniform next year. The Rams were the 3rd oldest team last year and we are already overpaying old Veterans so i dont think we want any old player.

    Girbril Wilson or James Butler will sign with the Rams. If there is not a huge marginal difference in the contracts we will take Gibril Wilson. However if there isnt than we get James Butler for cheap.

    Also look for us to add depth on the OL and DL. OL cuz or OL is always hurt so we need depth. And the DL cuz Spags is a substitution guru. So look for us to targer Colin Cole (325 pound NT), Chaunsey Davis, Igor Olshansky, and posibly Chris Canty (6-7 300 pounds)
    Last edited by djdeeznutz; -02-23-2009 at 05:43 PM.

  3. #3
    schut39's Avatar
    schut39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    20
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Crowder, Scott, Butler.....

    Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    Last day to re-sign players is Thursday.

    So Free Agency Period begins Friday
    Alright cool, and by the way. If we get a linebacker in the free agency, does that mean we won't draft Aaron Curry and vice versa? Even if we do get a linebacker in the free agency, I think we could still draft Curry because we have 2 positions to fill at the linebacker position. Middle linebacker and strong side.

  4. #4
    djdeeznutz Guest

    Re: Crowder, Scott, Butler.....

    Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    Alright cool, and by the way. If we get a linebacker in the free agency, does that mean we won't draft Aaron Curry and vice versa? Even if we do get a linebacker in the free agency, I think we could still draft Curry because we have 2 positions to fill at the linebacker position. Middle linebacker and strong side.

    No matter what we are getting a MLB in free agency or Via trade. The SLB will be filled with the 2nd round pick in the draft we will take Clint Sintim who will accell in Spags blitzing schemes.

  5. #5
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,301
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Crowder, Scott, Butler.....

    Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    Alright cool, and by the way. If we get a linebacker in the free agency, does that mean we won't draft Aaron Curry and vice versa? Even if we do get a linebacker in the free agency, I think we could still draft Curry because we have 2 positions to fill at the linebacker position. Middle linebacker and strong side.
    Depends on who we would sign in free agency. The Rams gave Witherspoon a lot of money a couple of years ago. If they go out and sign a free agent linebacker to a significant contract, it would make it difficult to then draft a third LB and have to pay him big money as well.

    However, if the Rams sign maybe a two-down run stuffing MLB for relatively cheap, then they could likely still draft Curry and line him up as a SAM linebacker. Then in the nickel, Curry and Witherspoon stay on the field.

    The problem with a free agent LB and Curry is an allocation of money. The Rams won't throw big money at three LBs; it just isn't cost effective. That money has to be spread out throughout the entire team rather than focused on one unit. It's the same reason drafting a QB with our first pick makes no sense.

    The other problem is Detroit. If the Rams don't add a LB in free agency, and Detroit takes Curry first overall (maybe not likely but it is a possibility IMO), then the Rams will have to bank on a mid-rounder to improve their LB unit, which isn't optimal.

    Ultimately it's going to depend how much the Rams spend, if anything, on a free agent LB. If they go out and sign someone to a significant deal, it's going to make it harder to take Curry and continue to devote big bucks to one defensive unit.

  6. #6
    schut39's Avatar
    schut39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    20
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Crowder, Scott, Butler.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Depends on who we would sign in free agency. The Rams gave Witherspoon a lot of money a couple of years ago. If they go out and sign a free agent linebacker to a significant contract, it would make it difficult to then draft a third LB and have to pay him big money as well.

    However, if the Rams sign maybe a two-down run stuffing MLB for relatively cheap, then they could likely still draft Curry and line him up as a SAM linebacker. Then in the nickel, Curry and Witherspoon stay on the field.

    The problem with a free agent LB and Curry is an allocation of money. The Rams won't throw big money at three LBs; it just isn't cost effective. That money has to be spread out throughout the entire team rather than focused on one unit. It's the same reason drafting a QB with our first pick makes no sense.

    The other problem is Detroit. If the Rams don't add a LB in free agency, and Detroit takes Curry first overall (maybe not likely but it is a possibility IMO), then the Rams will have to bank on a mid-rounder to improve their LB unit, which isn't optimal.

    Ultimately it's going to depend how much the Rams spend, if anything, on a free agent LB. If they go out and sign someone to a significant deal, it's going to make it harder to take Curry and continue to devote big bucks to one defensive unit.
    So then I guess it would be good news for me if we decide not to sign a linebacker in the free agency since I want us to draft Curry. Thanks for the reply though.

  7. #7
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,301
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Crowder, Scott, Butler.....

    Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    So then I guess it would be good news for me if we decide not to sign a linebacker in the free agency since I want us to draft Curry. Thanks for the reply though.
    Problem is, Detroit might just decide to take Curry before us. You never know. Schwartz is a defensive guy and the Lions are looking for a safe pick to try and turn around their team. Maybe they feel Curry is safer than any of the OTs or Stafford.

    If we don't do anything at linebacker in free agency and Detroit ends up taking Curry, then we're S.O.L.

  8. #8
    schut39's Avatar
    schut39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    20
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Crowder, Scott, Butler.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Problem is, Detroit might just decide to take Curry before us. You never know. Schwartz is a defensive guy and the Lions are looking for a safe pick to try and turn around their team. Maybe they feel Curry is safer than any of the OTs or Stafford.

    If we don't do anything at linebacker in free agency and Detroit ends up taking Curry, then we're S.O.L.
    That would suck haha, I really hope they don't take Curry. I would buy his jersey as soon as it came out if we got him.

Similar Threads

  1. Minicamp: Butler must stay in waiting game
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -06-10-2006, 11:07 AM
  2. Butler Working to Get Back
    By RamsFan16 in forum Under 18s
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -06-10-2006, 06:42 AM
  3. Butler Almost Back/Witherspoon excused
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-22-2006, 08:41 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: -01-19-2006, 07:07 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: -08-21-2005, 07:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •