Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

Current Draft Board - 1/20/06

Here is my current draft board... with my overall Ram needs defense and then tight end. So I'm a putting defensive players on it that probably won't be available, but just in case. BTW, I would try to trade up to get AJ Hawk if possible, but it would be expensive. On the trade value chart it would cost at least a swap of 1st's plus a 2nd, and a 4th. Or the swap plus a young frontline player like Curtis or Hargrove. Also, if the top 4 are gone, I would be tempted to trade down 3 or 5 spots get another high pick (2nd or 3rd round) and still get one of the LBs.

1/20 Rams Draft Board (updated closer to draft)-Top 8

1. AJ Hawk - LB
    2. Hali Ngata - DT
    3. Mario Williams - DE
    4. Michael Huff - S
    5. Chad Greenway - LB
    6. DeMarco Ryans - LB
    7. Vernon Davis - TE
    8. Marcedes Lewis - TE

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: Current Draft Board - 1/20/06

No Tamba Hali? Insane.

bhoang23 Guest

Why is a DT so high on the list we don't need another one jimmy kennedy is a improving and we have bigger needs.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Kennedy is improving, but he's still inconsistent. The Rams may not be able to lock down Ryan Pickett long term, so I understand DT being on the list.

That said, I think I would put Williams ahead of Ngata.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

If an impact player on the defensive line is available, I just don't see how the Rams can pass. The best guy on the line this year was good in his contract year and mediocre every other year. Beyond that, we couldn't replace the production of a guy (Fischer) who was a backup every other year he plaed with us.

I likes me some Ngata or Hali.

harrydog is offline Registered User

While I hope we take a defensive player with the 11th pick, Linehan might feel that for his offense to work the way he wants it to, an upgrade at TE is in order and might not be able to pass up Vernon Davis if he's available. If that happens, what's the thought on who to take in the 2nd round? What outstanding defensive players do you think will still be available at the 43rd pick?

RamJackson39 Guest

There are some solid LB prospects in the draft. I really like the MLB Freddie Roach. He is dominant in run support and should be there in the 3rd-4th round.

onslaught11 Guest

I don't really care for Hali. I have a feeling he is a better college player than a pro.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Regardless of what anyone thinks of pickett, it is unrealistic to expect a defensive tackle to make an impact in year one. History shows up that almost all of these guys take time to adjust to the pro game. To me, selecting a defensive tackle at #11 does nothing to help us this year. I really believe that with a healthy offense and an improved but not super defense we can compete next year. i dont see how we can do that if we use a #1 pick on a guy who doesnt improve us immediately.

The real key is for hargrove, kennedy and bartell to improve and for travis fischer and butler to come back healthy. Where we are desparate for improvement is linebacker and safety.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

1st & Goal Guest

While assessing our needs at this time last year, the general oppinion was Kennedy, Pickett, Lewis & Hargrove had to improve. Linebackers were the most pressing need in the FA market.
    Right now we are still talking about the lack of quality coming from the DT position & the question of resigning Pickett & Lewis looms heavy. Many do not believe Lewis is going to be back & Pickett is a must sign. Hargrove was inconsistant & the two free agent LB's we signed went under the knife. With one of the injuries a very serious one.
    As I see it we still need at least 1 if not 2 Linebackers. With all the talk of the hybrid defense, is Pisa a better option than Arch. They are in essence the same player, at two different positions on the field at the same time.
    This draft is as important as last years was. It will set the tone for the new coach and the direction for his team. Moving up to get an impact player is a possibility, but so is moving down to get additional picks. There is depth at LB, S & TE. Two years ago none of us ever thought Jackson would fall into our laps. I think they will have to make a draft day decision to move up and get the play they want, stay were they are and take the best available player, or move down and get several players to address multiple needs.

I think they will have to make a draft day decision to move up and get the play they want, stay were they are and take the best available player, or move down and get several players to address multiple needs.
    I think they'll have to make this decision too. :roll

Rambos is offline Registered User

If that happens, what's the thought on who to take in the 2nd round? What outstanding defensive players do you think will still be available at the 43rd pick?

Abdul Hodge LB 6’2 234 Iowa (second round draft pick)

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Barring any unforseen miracles I believe the Rams would be best served to trade DOWN and procure additional picks. As of rigth now, I am not too excited about any of the players projected at #11. Also G.C., you mentioned that DT's rarely make an impact in their rookie years. True enough, but the same could be said for most of the other defensive positions like CB, S, and LB. Bottom line is to select the best player available-especially in the first round-regardless of his potential to contribute as a rookie.

WHAT SAY YE?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I THink you have a much better shot with a linebacker making an impact in year one. Safety also has a great chance to contribute. Tougher on a corner. At the minimum, the linebackers, safeties and even corners contribute on special teams, which isnt true of a defensive tackle.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    True enough, but the same could be said for most of the other defensive positions like CB, S, and LB.
    Tell that to Jonathan Vilma or Sean Taylor. Heck, even Darrent Williams.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast