txramsfan is offline Registered User

The Curry LB Quandry

Here's one for you. All indicatiions recently have Draft at MLB, and Spoon/Curry at OLB. No mention of Pisa, no mention of WLB, SLB. Just at OLB. That's pretty interchangible however what do we do with Pisa? He's costing money this year I know. I know I read that somewhere.

Do we trade Pisa? Who would want him? If so, is Culberson the first off the bench?

Here's where I found it. On the Jim Thomas chat.

pickthebest: Some want to draft Curry as a MLB with the second pick. If he was an outside linebacker in college, why would he be worthy of the 2nd pick as a MLB? As and OLB would he be worth the #2 pick?Jim Thomas: Inside or outside, the key is whether the guy can be an everydown player. Curry can be an every down player. From all I've been told he's good enough in coverage to do so. So I think it would work with Witherspoon and Curry on the outside and Chris Draft in the middle. Plus, at the NFC coaches breakfast in California, Spags indicated that what he did with the Giants was as much left and right side LBs rather than weakside-strongside.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-28-2009 at 04:12 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: The Curry LB Quandry

I think spags using left and right side LB's works out the best for Pisa. With Spoon and him playing the same position he was more expendable, but now that they are not he is more valuable.

Pisa wasn't terrible last year, he wasn't great in coverage, but he played pretty well against the run.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think a linebacker corps of WLB Witherspoon, MLB Draft, and SLB Curry would still be pretty good.

At that point I think you're just flipping where Curry and Draft would line up, as they both seem to be able to play both MLB and SLB. Draft comes off the field in passing situations. Pisa serves as the 4th LB and main back-up to the guys outside.

Draft isn't the big presence at MLB that some want, but the Rams may get the most out of Curry by leaving him on the strong side. Draft has previous experience at MLB, and may be effective there playing under his former LB coach.

I think that looks really solid. My only concern about adding Curry is how the OT position gets addressed.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Curry? Who's that?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

You know Tim Curry? Frank N Furter from Rocky Horror?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    You know Tim Curry? Frank N Furter from Rocky Horror?
    To this day, that movie still freaks me out.

Okay, on to the matter at hand.
    at the NFC coaches breakfast in California, Spags indicated that what he did with the Giants was as much left and right side LBs rather than weakside-strongside.
    That sounds great, but I'm not sure I'm all that comfortable with either Spoon or Pisa trying to take on TEs at the line of scrimmage. Isn't this the same idea as Left and Right Safeties? Not sure I'm wrapping my head around that one either.
    Jim Thomas: Inside or outside, the key is whether the guy can be an everydown player. Curry can be an every down player. From all I've been told he's good enough in coverage to do so.
    I guess I'm confused. Thomas says Curry appears to be capable of manning the middle, then goes on to talk about Curry and Spoon on the outside?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Sounds like George W Bush sometimes huh?

LOL

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I have to agree. I don't like this "experimenting" crap we do with our players. Draft the player who is a natural at the position!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Not to over simplify things, but IMHO, the bottom line is, if you are a playmaker, you will find a way to make plays no matter where you line up.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That sounds great, but I'm not sure I'm all that comfortable with either Spoon or Pisa trying to take on TEs at the line of scrimmage.
    Spoon, I'm actually kind of intrigued by. It might be worth experimenting with during a minicamp or something. Pisa, I have no faith in him as a full time starter there. Not since the last time he tried and had multiple shoulder dislocations in the process. The guy simply is not built for taking on that kind of contact so often.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Isn't this the same idea as Left and Right Safeties?
    Or the left and right defensive tackles instead of a traditional nose tackle and under tackle. I don't think that ever happened, but was mentioned sometime in relation to Carriker. I'll believe LOLB and ROLB as a replacement for SAM and WILL when I see it, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Spoon, I'm actually kind of intrigued by.
    Really? I don't know; I think I see the SAM sometimes as the FB for the D. A big guy that plugs a hole, but not exactly THE playmaker. But hey, why not give it a shot?
    Or the left and right defensive tackles instead of a traditional nose tackle and under tackle. I don't think that ever happened, but was mentioned sometime in relation to Carriker. I'll believe LOLB and ROLB as a replacement for SAM and WILL when I see it, I suppose.
    Exactly! Not sure I'm buying the L/R gimmick just yet.