r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Curry Shines At Pro Day

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — LB Aaron Curry and CB Alphonso Smith drew a crowd at Wake Forest’s pro day, which included 41 representatives from all 32 NFL teams. Both opted not to lift or run, having satisfactorily met their goals at the combine.

Each did take part in positional drills, though.

It took Curry awhile to get going on some bag drills, but once he got warmed up, it was easy to see the athleticism that, combined with his football skills, make him a projected high pick. Some of the folks I spoke to love Curry because they say he never has a down game — that he plays at a high level week in and week out and that he is the safest bet in the draft.

The one knock is that he is not a great pass rusher. He wasn’t asked to blitz much at Wake Forest and he will have to learn some pass-rushing techniques and moves to be a force in the NFL. His limited play as a pass rusher is why Curry is projected by some teams as a middle linebacker.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Curry Shines At Pro Day

My only issue with curry, and its a big one in my mind considering we are picking second, is the switching position issue. To me, that adds a degree of risk. I am not saying he cant make the switch, only suggesting that the idea of using the second overall pick on a guy that has to make a positional adjustment, in addition to adjusting to the nfl generally, makes me nervous. Put another way, i am a MUCH bigger believer in game film than combine stuff and there cant be much of this guy playing in the middle, therefore, to some degree, its speculation by the coaches and billy d. I trust them, but i hate the idea of taking incremental risk with the #2 pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I agree with you GC. As bullet proof as the experts want to make him, Curry would be playing in the middle for the first time, ever, if he is moved. That just compounds the risk.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

While true, as stated in the article, the reason why he's projected by some to be an MLB, including for us, is because he's not been used as a pass rusher much in his career. He's very good at coverage and run stopping, however, and that's exactly what we want from a middle linebacker.

As he grows into the NFL, he'll add pass rushing to his skills and be a dominant force in all phases. I stand by that he's the best defensive talent and I think would hold up great in the middle, as there he really won't be asked to do much more than he already has been. If he stays on the outside then he'll be asked to pass rush and that will be asking him to do more than he's used to. Further, it's not like a slide from the Sam to the Mike is that much of a change, not compared to a switch to SS or from DE to OLB in any case. It's not that big of a deal in my mind.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I say draft him and try him in the middle, if it doesn't work or if he doesn't adjust fast enough, throw Witherspoon back in the middle. Who says he has to play in the middle? Or maybe he and Witherspoon could platoon in the middle depending on the situation until he's ready to take over full time. Even if he never adjusts to the middle, you've got a potential perrenial pro-bowl caliber OLB. Sounds good to me.

My point is, if he is by far the safest pick in the draft like most are saying, you've got nothing to lose by drafting him.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Pretty much just the point I was trying to make when I made my thread about how we could use Curry, ninerhater. If we want to do defense, he's absolutely the pick to make. If we want offense, I want Monroe as he might not have as much upside, he's more NFL ready than Smith, and is more of a sure thing. Both are friends with Chris Long and would immediately integrate with the team in my mind.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Its a point on which reasonable people can differ, but i dont see how anyone can say he is the safest pick in the draft if he is switching positions. As to the why does he have to play in the middle comment, an outside linebacker that doesnt rush the passer well is not in my view a number 2 overall pick in the draft on a team that has so many other needs like the rams. Will he learn to be a pass rusher in the nfl? Maybe. Thats pretty rare to pick up a new skill like that. But my point remains the same. Assuming that he will pick up a new skill adds to his risk profile for a team that has a desparate need for an offensive tackle. I dont buy the argument that we will get an OT in round 2. How do you know that? Why put us in an argument where we might have to reach if the top guys are gone by 35 at offensive tackle?

At the end of the day, for me, if spags and billy d think curry is a level up from monroe/smith i will support the pick. If they think that with the position switch and our obvious HUGE need without pace at OT that curry might be slightly better but on the same level, i would take the position of greater need and go OT. Either way, i am committed to supporting the new regime in this draft, i just retain great concern about letting Pace leave.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Everyone can say what they want, but the more I read about him the more I see him as an outstanding OLB but a guess at MLB. If the Rams screw this pick up, it could set this team back even more. Why go with a projection at 2? To me, it just doesn't make sense. I'd rather go with Monroe in Round 1 and Laurinitis in Round 2 if available.

richtree is offline Registered User

Not saying we should take him , but CB Alphonso Smith can just play the game , and plays it right

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Its a point on which reasonable people can differ, but i dont see how anyone can say he is the safest pick in the draft if he is switching positions. As to the why does he have to play in the middle comment, an outside linebacker that doesnt rush the passer well is not in my view a number 2 overall pick in the draft on a team that has so many other needs like the rams. Will he learn to be a pass rusher in the nfl? Maybe. Thats pretty rare to pick up a new skill like that. But my point remains the same. Assuming that he will pick up a new skill adds to his risk profile for a team that has a desparate need for an offensive tackle. I dont buy the argument that we will get an OT in round 2. How do you know that? Why put us in an argument where we might have to reach if the top guys are gone by 35 at offensive tackle?

At the end of the day, for me, if spags and billy d think curry is a level up from monroe/smith i will support the pick. If they think that with the position switch and our obvious HUGE need without pace at OT that curry might be slightly better but on the same level, i would take the position of greater need and go OT. Either way, i am committed to supporting the new regime in this draft, i just retain great concern about letting Pace leave.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I completely understand your position General. If there is not much difference in talent between two players, you're likely better off going with the one who fills a bigger need. From what I've read however, there appears to be a significant gap in talent between Curry and Monroe/Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Everyone can say what they want, but the more I read about him the more I see him as an outstanding OLB but a guess at MLB. If the Rams screw this pick up, it could set this team back even more. Why go with a projection at 2? To me, it just doesn't make sense. I'd rather go with Monroe in Round 1 and Laurinitis in Round 2 if available.
    I haven't heard anybody referring to Monroe or Smith as if they were Joe Thomas or Jake Long, so to me they are just as much projection as anyone else in the draft. Having said that, I probably like the idea of trading down for Maualuga and picking up an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder best of all.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

DISCLAIMER: Roger Goodell: With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select........(Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith, Aaron Curry, BJ Raji). Any of those would put a smile on my face.

Now for the issue at hand....

1. I think the big "switch" regarding Curry is a bit overblown. Yes, it is a positional switch technically. But it's from SAM to MIKE. Nobody freaks out when a college DE is asked to play OLB in a 3-4, yet that switch is to a different level entirely. This isn't some kind of Crouchenstein monster being created here. A switch? Yes. A mind-numbing, hand-wringing switch? Not so much.

2. What was the one knock that Rams fans have been chanting for the past couple of years with Spoon, the OLB turned MIKE? He's too small to play MIKE.. Not that he lacked the skill set to play MIKE, but that he was too small. Well, folks, here you have a guy with the same skill set (even better, IMO), but an extra 20 pounds. If you put 20 pounds on Spoon, would anyone still be complaining about him? No? Then what's so wrong with Curry?

Again, There will be at least 3 or maybe even 4 (if Stafford is a Lion) the Rams could select and I'd be happy, but I'd hate to see a team gloss over a rare talent because of a fear of sliding to the inside of the 4-3.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Like I have said in another thread, this is all mind buzzing material. "Yea, Curry sounds good oh wait....Orakpo would be fantastic on the other side of Long but wait a minute, Jason Smith has great speed but hold on, Curry can play MLB but there's another point, Eugene Monroe can severly run block however I've heard the Rams are interested in Maclin but Crabtree is still in the mix and the Rams are interviewing Sanchez,"

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Like I have said in another thread, this is all mind buzzing material. "Yea, Curry sounds good oh wait....Orakpo would be fantastic on the other side of Long but wait a minute, Jason Smith has great speed but hold on, Curry can play MLB but there's another point, Eugene Monroe can severly run block however I've heard the Rams are interested in Maclin but Crabtree is still in the mix and the Rams are interviewing Sanchez,"
    So you mentioned more of Aaron Curry, that sounds like a good pick

Aaron Curry is by far my favorite choice for the Rams, and think he'd be the best for us.
    RamsFan16

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe you should lie down, tx; I'm afraid you're gonna hurt yourself.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod