Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Curry vs. Smith/Monroe: Point/Counterpoint

Every time I think I know (a) who I prefer between Aaron Curry and the top OT (J.Smith or Monroe, take your pick), my lawyer instincts seem to kick in and I come up with a counter-argument. Here is a "transcript" of my current internal debate.

Right now, the Rams have only one of three LB positions filled. Its gotta be Curry!

That may be true, but the Rams have only one starting OT on the roster (Barron), and he may not be a long-term solution at either LT or RT. Gotta go with an OT!

Forget need for a moment... Curry is the best player in the draft. He's as close to a sure thing as it gets.

There is no such thing as a sure thing. Besides, without better DTs in front of him, Curry may get a lot of tackles, but they'll be 5-10 yards downfield. What are the Rams going to do... draft a LB, then a NT, and leave OT for Round 3?

Why not? This is a deep draft at OT. Besides, the Rams could probably find a decent NT in later rounds and land a good OT in Round 2 (maybe Beatty or Loadholt).

Well by that logic, the Rams could get a LB in Round 2 also. How about Laurinaitis or Sintim? Either could be there at pick #35.

Okay, but let's not forget, Spagnuolo is a defense-oriented coach. He's going to want to add a real playmaker on that side of the ball.

No, Spagnuolo is a SMART coach. He knows that the best friend of a defense is a strong running game that controls the ball. That's why the Rams spent money on Brown and Karney, and that's why they'll go OT first.

What about Crabtree?

Oh, shut up "inner child." This is football, not fantasy football!

Yeah, shut up! This about winning, not making Sportscenter!

Well, I think we've figured this out.

We have?

No... not really. Guess we have a few weeks to think about it, though.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Curry vs. Smith/Monroe: Point/Counterpoint

Are we that sure that Curry is the best player in the draft? PFW, for example, has Curry ranked as the 3rd-best prospect regardless of position (behind Stafford and J Smith). I'm not claiming that PFW is the end all and be all of scouting, but it seems that J. Smith and Monroe are grading out pretty similarly to Curry. If that's the case, taking one of the tackles is a no-brainer in my mind.

I mean, LT is one of the most important positions on the field, and linebacker in a 4-3 defense is pretty far down there. I think to consider Curry at #2 overall you need him to be in a completely different league, which he's not.

Just my 2 cents.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The Rams can smoke screen this all they want....it's going to come down to J Smith or Monroe. Too much emphasis has been placed on the running game this offseason and the Rams need one more solid O lineman to make this work. Personally, I like Monroe right now because of his run blocking ability seems to be better than J Smith.

LB will be found later, OT is probably one of the most important pieces to an offense's puzzle.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think Curry is 100% the best player in the draft for the following reason.

Andre Smith was seen has the best player far and away in the draft before the offseason began.

The other 2 linemen weren't mentioned as elite. Now after the offseason has begun, senior bowls, combine and such these 2 guys have risen up, meaning Smith and Monroe.

Since Curry was there, and the offseason on solidified his position he has to be ranked as a better player. The other 2 linemen are only there because Andre Smith basically had a meltdown.

Curry is also ranked ahead of many good LB's in a very LB deep draft that shows he stands out from the best.

Smith and Monroe are good but after that the lineman in this draft aren't that great, so that could be a reason for pushing their stock up....

So Barron may not be the Long Term answer but neither is Bulger.

Barron is the Short Term answer as is Bulger.

Bulger and Barron play together this year and will play their best because if not, neither of them will be starting in the NFL next year.

Barron this season > than round 1 draft OT - Curry

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Every time I think I know (a) who I prefer between Aaron Curry and the top OT (J.Smith or Monroe, take your pick), my lawyer instincts seem to kick in and I come up with a counter-argument. Here is a "transcript" of my current internal debate.

Right now, the Rams have only one of three LB positions filled. Its gotta be Curry!

That may be true, but the Rams have only one starting OT on the roster (Barron), and he may not be a long-term solution at either LT or RT. Gotta go with an OT!

Forget need for a moment... Curry is the best player in the draft. He's as close to a sure thing as it gets.

There is no such thing as a sure thing. Besides, without better DTs in front of him, Curry may get a lot of tackles, but they'll be 5-10 yards downfield. What are the Rams going to do... draft a LB, then a NT, and leave OT for Round 3?

Why not? This is a deep draft at OT. Besides, the Rams could probably find a decent NT in later rounds and land a good OT in Round 2 (maybe Beatty or Loadholt).

Well by that logic, the Rams could get a LB in Round 2 also. How about Laurinaitis or Sintim? Either could be there at pick #35.

Okay, but let's not forget, Spagnuolo is a defense-oriented coach. He's going to want to add a real playmaker on that side of the ball.

No, Spagnuolo is a SMART coach. He knows that the best friend of a defense is a strong running game that controls the ball. That's why the Rams spent money on Brown and Karney, and that's why they'll go OT first.

What about Crabtree?

Oh, shut up "inner child." This is football, not fantasy football!

Yeah, shut up! This about winning, not making Sportscenter!

Well, I think we've figured this out.

We have?

No... not really. Guess we have a few weeks to think about it, though.
    STOP THE RIDE I WANT TO GET OFF!

At this point nothing would surprise me.

DT, OT, LB, DE.......RB, WR, DB, QB

MINGYA!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It's tough to look at what has happened to Bulger the last few years and to see how Jackson's full potential is being thwarted, and not want to go with Smith or Monroe, but it's also painful to watch a defense that breaks down and gets shredded game after game, year after year, and not want to take Curry.

I guess it's a good dilemma to have because a huge hole is most likely going to be filled somewhere, but it still makes my head spin.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    STOP THE RIDE I WANT TO GET OFF!

At this point nothing would surprise me.

DT, OT, LB, DE.......RB, WR, DB, QB

MINGYA!
    Exactly. The Rams need help everywhere except K and P. Well, maybe long snapper but there isn't a position that on this team that the Rams can't draft this year. Even RB. I don't care what anyone says about Leonard or Darby, when Jackson goes down the Rams go down. Hard.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

So far I would take J. Smith first. Spags likes a power running game he'll want Smith. E. Monroe is bar far the best Pass blocker and is the most pollished as a OT and came from a great system.

Take E. ZIGGY Hood in the 2nd.
    In the 2nd it's been a toss up for me. Take Defence or go WR in the 2nd. I love defence most. Defence builds Championships.
    E. Hood DT is better than R. Brace.

In 3rd Id love to se R. Barden as WR/TE on Rams. Might be next T. Gonzales great pass catching TE. If he dosen't make it as WR. Great Red Zone threat.

In the 4th take Jasper Brinkly MLB. Now the front line is better to protect the Lb's. With Brinkly in at MLB you'll have a run stuffing big LB.

I know Everybody hates this Idea and Spags - B. Devaney want Character people , BUT draft A. Boone in the Sixth. He has 1st or 2nd Round talent and put in his contract that he has to go to AA and Testing for a minimal bonus'es each season. L. Little Killed someone driving Drunk and he has been a great player for Rams with no problems. Boone has a problem with Alcohol it can be fixed. Remember this is Barron's last year on his contract.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

"Take E. ZIGGY Hood in the 2nd."
    I don't understand how he is even a thought, he is a smaller faster dt and we want to get BIGGER. I would start ryan over him all day. If we are going to get a dt, it is going to be a big man, and it is probably going to come later in the draft.
    We want to get bigger
    Clifton Ryan- 6'3 and 316 lbs
    Adam Carriker- 6'6 and 308 lbs
    Ziggy hood- 6'2 and 300 lbs
    That makes us shorter and lighter along the line.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I see the logic in taking an OT if we do I would go with Monroe if the coach is going to want to be a run first team he has to have that LT. But I very concern over our poor run D our front seven has to be upgraded.
    :ramlogo:

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I really think Curry is just a smoke screen player. We can get a player like Lauranitis (in the second if he's there) or even McKillop, who is a tackling machine in the third.

If you saw the post in the Ram talk, we have Barron at LT and Bell at RT. EEK! That is just scary! It'll be an OT. I don't know who is the better prospect, Monroe or J. Smith. I like Monroe, but I have no clue who is better...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Despite concerns about the mental stability of one of the Clan's founding fathers implicit in the content of the OP by , Sibyl...er..., Avenger Ram, I don't think this situation is any more critical this year than most. For The Rams or any other team. You always have more needs than resources.

Not sure I appreciate the logic of Richtree's argument that the changing LT race is proof that there are no good options there.So the analysis deepened/changed as info became available.No surprise,imo.

There were reports from last year about whether J. Long would indeed be a franchise LT or better off at RT. We had our own little agony party over C. Long,Gholston, and Dorsey.There won't be a consensus for a couple of years and factors other than the talent and needs of the team at draft time will affect that as well such as injuries.. Ditto for this year.

Speaking of resources, we have a lot more money invested at LB than OT at the moment. It's closer if you believe the Bell experiment is serious-which I don't- but which unit can we afford to/should we re-invest in most heavily for the greatest good ?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think it is a more difficult choice than pundits want to make it out to be. Here are just some of my thoughts...

On Curry as a Two Down Player
    The argument here seems to be that you can't use a top five pick on a guy who isn't going to be on the field when the team goes to the nickel, but how many every down positions are there? On offense, the second receiver, tight end, and fullback may all come out at different points depending on whether it's an obvious passing or running down. Many teams opt for a runningback platoon, a goal line back, or a third down back with catching ability. Defensive tackles and ends rotate in and out throughout the game to stay fresh.

If a top five pick has to be a guy who will be in for every snap on one side of the ball, the only positions eligible would be quarterback, offensive tackle, guard, center, wide receiver, corner, safety, and outside linebacker. Of course, conventional wisdom says you don't take a guard, center, or safety in the top ten either. And OLB is usually judged to be a less important position than MLB, even if they do stay on the field on passing downs.

On Need
    It's hard to say which we've had problems with longer--pass protection or run defense. We have ranked among the five worst teams at preventing sacks every year since 2002, and we've been in the bottom five in rushing defense almost every year since 2003 (although in 2007 we made it up to 17th against the run).

As far as the starters go, the question is whether we're worse off playing an underachieving right tackle on the left side or an under-utilized weakside linebacker in the middle. In 2008, Spoon had his worst season statistically since he was a rookie. USA Today's fantasy section suggests that it "seems certain" he will move back to the weakside (their source is reportedly the St. Louis Post-Dispatch), essentially giving us no starter at MLB.

On the Drop-off in Talent
    There are not a lot of middle linebacker prospects expected to go within the first 35 picks or so. Curry and Maualuga will almost certainly be off the board by the end of the first. IMO, Laurinitis is the only middle linebacker prospect who might be available when we pick in the second and still be good value. I don't think we could assume he would be available, either. At OT, the prospects are a little better as there are probably 5-6 players at the position who would warrant a first round grade, and since no less than 8 teams addressed the offensive tackle position in last year's draft, there might be fewer teams than usual planning to use a first round pick on an OT this year. I would say that it is likely that either Britton or Beatty could be had at the top of the second.

Whether we go OT or LB in the first, we would have to be willing to accept the risk that we might not be able to secure a solid starter through the draft for the other of the two positions. After all, we have plenty of other needs.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -03-17-2009 at 06:34 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think Curry is 100% the best player in the draft for the following reason.

Andre Smith was seen has the best player far and away in the draft before the offseason began.

The other 2 linemen weren't mentioned as elite. Now after the offseason has begun, senior bowls, combine and such these 2 guys have risen up, meaning Smith and Monroe.

Since Curry was there, and the offseason on solidified his position he has to be ranked as a better player. The other 2 linemen are only there because Andre Smith basically had a meltdown.

Curry is also ranked ahead of many good LB's in a very LB deep draft that shows he stands out from the best.

Smith and Monroe are good but after that the lineman in this draft aren't that great, so that could be a reason for pushing their stock up....

So Barron may not be the Long Term answer but neither is Bulger.

Barron is the Short Term answer as is Bulger.

Bulger and Barron play together this year and will play their best because if not, neither of them will be starting in the NFL next year.

Barron this season > than round 1 draft OT - Curry
    Is this a serious post, of all the logic I have seen for Curry this is definately among the worst.

Andre Smith??? He was good but he started dropping after getting exposed to Florida's Speed than getting suspended for the BCS bowl. You are completely wrong becuase Eugene Monroe has been a higlhy raked player for a very long time. In fact he is the only player who has constantly been in the top best player category. Monroe has been considered elite since last year when Brandon Albert was drafted early. To say it's Andre Smith's fault they are there is completely ludacris.

Curry has always been highly ranked from about mid-season, but its his offseason that has boosted him to the best overall player.

Huh??? This OT draft is crazy deep with talent. It is Smith and Monroe's talent that puts them that high, not other tackles playing bad. This class has great tackles like Oher, Brtitton, Beatty, Loadholt, and Meredith.

When it comes to 4-3 LBs this draft isn't good at all, what in the world are you talking about. The best pure 4-3 MLB in this draft may not even be a first rounder. The 2 USC boys are strongside backers in a 4-3, but they aren't even close to Curry.

If Barron is not a long term answer why in the world would we stick with him when we have a prime oppurtunity to get a great long term answer. We are married to Bulger, but we aren't married to Barron he only has 1 year left on his deal. If you give him a LT paired with the other additions on our line he can regain form and play at the level we have all seen before and know he can play at.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Andre Smith??? He was good but he started dropping after getting exposed to Florida's Speed than getting suspended for the BCS bowl. You are completely wrong becuase Eugene Monroe has been a higlhy raked player for a very long time. In fact he is the only player who has constantly been in the top best player category. Monroe has been considered elite since last year when Brandon Albert was drafted early. To say it's Andre Smith's fault they are there is completely ludacris.

Well, with that thinking then Brian Orakpo used Jason Smith for two years and Eugen Monroe got schooled by the USC defense.

C'mon beast, Andre Smith was the Outland Trophy winner. He won every award for being the best O lineman in college football AND is considered the best blocking OT in the draft. If that's the case, why wouldn't the Rams take a more detailed look at him seeing how the offense is going to a power running game?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast