AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Curry Would Accept Less Money To Be First Pick

From USAToday:

Aaron Curry willing to accept below-market deal to be Lions' No. 1 pick

Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry said he's "more than happy" to accept a below-market deal if it means the Lions would select him as the top overall player in Saturday's NFL draft.
    The Lions are negotiating with several players, including Curry, Georgia QB Matthew Stafford and Baylor OT Jason Smith, to become the first player selected. They want whomever is selected to sign a deal before the draft.
    Asked on Sirius satellite radio if he would sign a deal worth less than the $30 million last year's top pick, Jake Long, got, Curry emphatically said yes.
    "I'd be more than happy to accept that deal," Curry said.
    If Curry is willing to go low on a contract figure, he might be able to edge out Stafford, who's projected by many analysts as the likely pick but who would probably want more than $30 million guaranteed.
    Curry said he has been in direct contact with Lions GM Martin Mayhew and has lobbied to become the first overall selection.
    "Iíve actually been able to exchange text messages with Mr. Mayhew himself, just discussing the whole situation," Curry said. "He gave me some birthday wishes on my birthday and we talked about just how things would be if me, (and Lions linebackers) Ernie Sims and Julian Peterson were together in one room, just to be able to go out there and wreak havoc.
    "I told him I look forward to talking to him very soon."
    Interesting. Does this mean that, if the Lions go with Stafford, Curry would make the same concession to be the No. 2 pick? And... if so... could that sway the Rams toward him?

Hmmmm.....

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Re: Curry Would Accept Less Money To Be First Pick

WOW now I know we need Curry on our team. Money isnt even an issue with him...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    From USAToday:

Interesting. Does this mean that, if the Lions go with Stafford, Curry would make the same concession to be the No. 2 pick? And... if so... could that sway the Rams toward him?

Hmmmm.....
    And if the Lions and Curry do reach a less-than-market agreement, how difficult will that make signing the #2 for the Rams? Is there much room for agreement between the "less than what the #1 signed for" offer the Rams will make, and the "more than what last year's #2 signed for" counter-offer from our guy's agent?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

That's definitely the second half to that question, Hub. And maybe this could be where the owners start to take some power back from the agents. The Lions take Curry and give him a more reasonable deal, and then the Chiefs and Rams push hard on the agents saying that they will give a contract commiserate with what the Lions gave Curry, or their player can sit out the year and apply for the draft again next year. Wouldn't that be interesting!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

i love the idea, but then again the Lions are in a position to negotiate PRIOR to selecting a player and use that selection as part of their leverage. Rams could do it too, like you say, but unfortunately, they'd only have 2 minutes to do it. after that they got to select somebody and then 'hope' they can talk em down. right?

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I think that's really what it is KoaKoi. The Lions have leverage, because he could potentially fall out of the top five or six (if there was a run on QB's and OT's). Taking less money at 1 is still more than he'll get at 5 or 6 or 7. Once he's drafted , imo there will be little financial forfeit on his part. He'd take less than J. Long, but he'd still get paid very very well..

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    I think that's really what it is KoaKoi. The Lions have leverage, because he could potentially fall out of the top five or six (if there was a run on QB's and OT's). Taking less money at 1 is still more than he'll get at 5 or 6 or 7. Once he's drafted , imo there will be little financial forfeit on his part. He'd take less than J. Long, but he'd still get paid very very well..
    That's a great observation. I was wondering why in the world Curry would be lobbying to be the number 1 pick, for less than the market rate, to play for the Lions no less, but what you said makes sense.

If it actually happens, it'll be very interesting to see how things shake out, but I think it adds more issues and complications to an already difficult and arduous process.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

i was hoping the rams would draft curry though... Because the rams have some good O-linemen now with Bell, Brown, Incognito, and Barron is good when hes not getting penalized. But The rams would have a stout front Seven with Curry in the Middle, and pisa and Witherspoon moving back to OLB. But then its also a tough 1 too.

1 more lineman and i think the rams could potentially be the best running team since there switching to a west coast offense... quite a toss up.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -04-22-2009 at 02:34 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Man, this is just too weird. I'm more inclined everyday to take Raji over Curry. I know it won't happen but without that nasty guy up front, the MLB isn't as effective.