Thread: Dan Connor

Milan is offline Registered User

Dan Connor

I've asked this before but now it's more realistic. In his latest mock draft, Kiper has Dan Connor slipping into the second round. Most mocks have him going to the Giants - At 32 (31) overall. If he were to slip into the second and the Dolphins passed him up, would you want to take him? He played Sam well when Posluszny was Mike. So he can play the SLB position, which we need now.

So would you take him with the 2nd pick in the 2nd? He is the best LB to ever come out of Linebacker U (Penn State) and holds their all time tackle record, which is something we need - a good tackler on defense. He was MVP of his team at the Senior Bowl. I think it would be a huge steal to get him that late.
    Last edited by Milan; -03-12-2008 at 12:12 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Dan Connor

I'm still pretty sold on the idea of OT/WR/DE in some order through the first 3 rounds. HOWEVER, Conner available at #33 would be very tempting. And I wouldn't shed a tear if he were the pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think the Rams are going with Club and Draft, DE,WR,OL,SS

chiguy is offline Registered User

Combine Rambos and Bison's posts and that pretty much sums up my thoughts. I doubt we'd do it unless they really think the kid is going to be a player, but it also depends on who is available at positions that are higher in need. Still, I wouldn't cry about it.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Kind of like how Klink has his mock, with two DE's in the first two rounds, I think this pick could have merit, if he's the BPA at the time. The Rams have been in need of a tackling machine for years now, and I think he'd be a great pick up, especially if Gholston ends up being the pick, as Connor could clean up what Gholston misses. The issue then is what we do with the third round pick which I feel needs to be OT after a DE and either a WR or a super value pick. WR then suffers, but we have a number of receivers at the TE and RB/FB positions, and so it won't be the worst thing in the world if we rely upon them and our other receivers already on the roster or on a burner in a lower round. Not all of our needs can be solved in one draft without a trade from #2.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Being a huge Penn State fan, I'd be happy with that pick, but LB not being one of our higest priorities, I'd be surprised if we selected him, even if he is available at #33. On the other hand, I think he's going to be a very good LB in the NFL and would help improve the defense considering Tinoisamoa is not very durable and Chillar is a ?

STLunatic is offline Registered User

Im a huge Penn State fan and Connor is the real deal i've said this before and ill say it again Witherspoon and Connor could be one of the most dangerous LB duos for years to come.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

altho im hoping DE in 1st and OT in round 2....if Dan Connor or Kenny Phillips fall to us in the second i hope we take either one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    altho im hoping DE in 1st and OT in round 2....if Dan Connor or Kenny Phillips fall to us in the second i hope we take either one!
    What about a round one graded WR? I'm starting to agree with somethat it's not as big of a need as a lot of us have made it out to be, we have starters, and we have young talent that hasn't been able to showcase it yet, why not give them a chance? The way people talk, we won't win anything next year anyway because we didn't pick up the bright and shiny free agents, why not see if we have gems or just rough?

Whatever the case of whom we want to draft, I'm expecting a BPA approach to our second pick, as someone(probably a couple) that we have graded as a round one prospect WILL drop to us, it's just a matter of whom.

keith m. klink Guest

iF HE IS THE BEST PLAYER , GRAB HIM , if not , get someone to help the team , or if they can drop a few spots for someone high on him and get an extra pick and the guy we need , why not ! but i think the RAMS are thinking that WITHERSPOON - TINO - DRAFT - CULBERSON and MCGARIGLE are fine . and i think CULBERSON will find himself the starter this year . just a thought .

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think Draft will start. When we got him from the Panthers he had a nice 2006.

2006 SEASON: Started all 16 games for second time of career...111 tackles marked second-best total of career and 5.5 sacks established career-high.

Draft had 50 tackles 40 solo and one sack, last year and he did not play full time.

Chillar had 65 tackles 55 solo. Chillar had 15 more solo tackles then Draft.

Draft can play!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    He played Sam well when Posluszny was Mike. So he can play the SLB position, which we need now.
    Pretty sure he was playing the weak side when Posluszny was there. He then shifted inside for his senior campaign and excelled.

Anyways, I think we'd be better served going one of three other positions (OT, WR, DE) with that pick. You have to remember the strong side linebacker is probably a two-down defender in this defense and will be subbed off the field with passing packages, so money versus time on the field becomes an issue.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I know Draft can still play. I think he's going to be the starter this year.

However, like Klink said, if someone is interested in him, we could trade down a few spots and get an extra third pick. Hopefully.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    iF HE IS THE BEST PLAYER , GRAB HIM , if not , get someone to help the team , or if they can drop a few spots for someone high on him and get an extra pick and the guy we need , why not ! but i think the RAMS are thinking that WITHERSPOON - TINO - DRAFT - CULBERSON and MCGARIGLE are fine . and i think CULBERSON will find himself the starter this year . just a thought .
    I've seen Connor listed at both 18th and 24th overall on some draft prospect ranking lists. If he slips to #33 I'd be surprised.

Just because a player is highly rated, doesn't mean they're immune from free falling for no reason. Quinn did last year, Rodgers a few years ago. Brandon Albert this year is rated as a top 15 player, but because he's a OG primarily, chances of him slipping into the 20s is likely.

You never know where they could end up. But I agree with you, he's a top LB prospect, he should be gone.