Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Danario Alexander holding pro-day Wed July 28

Undrafted free agent WR Danario Alexander reportedly ran forty times of 4.41 and 4.44 while preparing for next Wednesday's personal Pro Day.

It's comparable speed to fellow former Mizzou Tiger Jeremy Maclin, though we suspect Alexander was timed on an especially fast track. He isn't a burner. Undrafted after undergoing four surgeries on his left knee, Alexander's Wednesday Pro Day will be conducted by Chicago Bears scout Chris Ballard.

Above per Brian Stull's Twitter via Rotoworld.

Below is per ProFootball Talk

Missouri wide receiver D. Alexander was one of the sadder stories of the pre-draft season, plummeting from a possible mid-round pick to out of the draft because of knee surgery that took place in February.

He's finally recovered from the injury and said on his twitter that he's holding a Pro Day on Wednesday for interested teams.

The Rams say they will probably bring the local product in for a visit and physical, although theyprobably will ignore his pro day.

"We know he can run. We know he can catch," Rams G.M. Billy Devaney told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

For Alexander, it's all about the medical reports because he's an impressive size and speed prospect. Alexander has undergone four knee surgeries since 2008.
    Last edited by richtree; -07-23-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: remove links

richtree is offline Registered User

get him in for that physical and mold the playoff bound Rams for 2011

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe. But now we'll delving into the world of medicine. Can we say that his knee is weaker than the average WR? Or has the surgeries fixed what was wrong, and given him a chance (ie. Drew Brees)?

I honestly don't know. But until a doctor comes out and says this guy will crumble in a short amount of time, he is certainly worth a look.
    My point wasn't to argue that he wasn't worth a look, but rather to dispute this idea that he's no more likely to become injured than any other NFL player. When you have four surgeries on the same knee in a two year period, I think your likelihood is a bit higher. I'm no doctor, but to me that seems pretty logical. Unless they replaced his leg with one of the Terminator variety.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    His knees are the whole point. He's one trip up from snapping them again, the guy can't be relied on to stay healthy.

Who's to say his performance will ever be the same with those knees. Even without the knee problems he will have his rookie issues such as learning to run routes at an NFL level, beating the jam, etc. All of which were problems at the Shrine Game.
    and Im assuming that our injury prone Laurent Robinson can be relied upon as well?

Springfield Rams is offline Registered User

I'd rather take a chance on this kid than Owens.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Maybe. But now we'll delving into the world of medicine. Can we say that his knee is weaker than the average WR? Or has the surgeries fixed what was wrong, and given him a chance (ie. Drew Brees)?

I honestly don't know. But until a doctor comes out and says this guy will crumble in a short amount of time, he is certainly worth a look.
    Brees doesn't have to frequently put a lot of pressure on that knee to move quickly down the field. I suspect knee concerns are slighty greater at receiver.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

I am dead set against this deal. We dont need another injury prone WR!!! It don't matter how talented he is if he can't stay healthy. Haven't we been down this road before???

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Brees doesn't have to frequently put a lot of pressure on that knee to move quickly down the field. I suspect knee concerns are slighty greater at receiver.
    Brees didn't have knee surgery; he had surgery on his throwing shoulder.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Brees didn't have knee surgery; he had surgery on his throwing shoulder.
    I'm not quite sure about the physics here, but I still think a wideout's knee takes more strain than a QB's shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I'm not quite sure about the physics here, but I still think a wideout's knee takes more strain than a QB's shoulder.
    I don't know the physics either, but that goes far beyond my point. The NFL has more than its sure of athletes with knee surgeries that play at a competitive level. Having surgery on a part of the body does not NECESSARILY mean that body part is somehow more susceptible to injury.

But HUb, with 4 surgeries don't you think it's reasonable....

Yea, yea, I get it; he will probably have a knee problem at some point, if not a career cut short by it. However, you (in general, Peoria, not you specifically) can't write the guy off just because he's had surgeries on a specific body part.

While neither you (ok this time that's specifically you, Peoria) nor I have any desire to debate the most stressful movement between a QB's shoulder and a WR's knee, surely we can agree that Drew Brees sustained an injury that many said would end his career, yet he has played at a very high level since.

All I'm saying is, there is a talented kid with a local connection that COULD provide a lot of support to a WR corp that needs more talent. He's an undrafted free agent.......where exactly is the risk? If the coaches like what they see, should they pass on that camp contract just because he's had knee surgeries in the past? I wouldn't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Do we have a doctor in the house?!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Yea, yea, I get it; he will probably have a knee problem at some point, if not a career cut short by it. However, you (in general, Peoria, not you specifically) can't write the guy off just because he's had surgeries on a specific body part.

While neither you (ok this time that's specifically you, Peoria) nor I have any desire to debate the most stressful movement between a QB's shoulder and a WR's knee, surely we can agree that Drew Brees sustained an injury that many said would end his career, yet he has played at a very high level since.
    The Drew Brees comparison keeps coming up, but I don't think it's very relevant.

Brees had one major injury to his throwing shoulder, and it couldn't have been too career-threatening because the Chargers themselves offered him an extension before he hit the market and drew interest from both Miami and New Orleans. It was a serious injury, but it was just that - one injury.

Unlike Brees, Alexander has had multiple surgeries on his left knee. He's torn the ACL in that knee twice already. His most recent surgery came during Senior Bowl practices where it's speculated that he hurt it when a defender stepped on it or jammed it while fighting for the ball, not exactly an uncommon event at the pro level. These injuries hindered his ability to contribute over his career in college; he really only had one productive year at Missouri due to his injuries.

You ask where the risk is, and I'd respond by drawing a huge red arrow pointing right to the guy's left knee. Because that's where it is. When you look at the track record of injuries he's already sustained to the knee, you have to be concerned about his ability to hold up at the next level. When guys can't hold up at the college level, what is the likelihood they're going to do so at the pro level?

Is Alexander's talent and pro potential - which we really only saw on display in one season sandwiched between more knee injuries - so much better than any of the other young receivers we already have that it's worth taking that risk? I personally don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    You ask where the risk is, and I'd respond by drawing a huge red arrow pointing right to the guy's left knee.
    So then you would not even take a look at the guy? If so, I guess we just disagree on his potential.
    Is Alexander's talent and pro potential - which we really only saw on display in one season sandwiched between more knee injuries - so much better than any of the other young receivers we already have that it's worth taking that risk? I personally don't think so.
    Yep, we definitely disagree on his potential.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

So everyone is against grabbing this guy, who has very good potential as a possesion receiver? We will be paying this kid the same if not less then a 7th round pick, you really think that will hurt the FO pocketbook in the least.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Denario has the potential to be a #1 WR for the Rams. Sign him for what will likely be a minimum contract IF he earns a spot on the team in the preseason. I see nothing but upside to this move. And even though i am wearing a Mizzou jersey in my profile pic, i certainly am not biased

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast