Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Danario Alexander holding pro-day Wed July 28

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So then you would not even take a look at the guy? If so, I guess we just disagree on his potential.
    Even if we agreed on what his ceiling was, it would be a rather moot point for me because I doubt he'd ever reach it. I just don't see him staying healthy enough over the course of his pro career to get there.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Even if we agreed on what his ceiling was, it would be a rather moot point for me because I doubt he'd ever reach it. I just don't see him staying healthy enough over the course of his pro career to get there.
    So you're saying a camp contract is too much of a risk for Danario Alexander?

I too doubt he reaches his ceiling. We agree that his knee could be an issue again at some point in his career. But to not take a flyer on a guy with the talent to move above Jeremy Maclin on the depth chart? Seems like a pretty small risk to me.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

So you're saying a camp contract is too much of a risk for Danario Alexander?

I too doubt he reaches his ceiling. We agree that his knee could be an issue again at some point in his career. But to not take a flyer on a guy with the talent to move above Jeremy Maclin on the depth chart? Seems like a pretty small risk to me.
    The Rams already have ten receivers coming to camp and will likely keep half of them for the active roster, three if not four of whom we can probably already pencil in. I'd rather see what the current crop can do than add another body to the mix who, IMO, isn't a significant upgrade over the present personnel.

And while there was a point in his college career when Alexander was above Jeremy Maclin on the Missouri depth chart, it never lasted. In each of Maclin's two years at Missouri, he emerged as the #1 receiver for the school and led the team in receptions, yards, and touchdowns in both years. In those two years, Alexander never finished above middle of the pack for Missouri receivers.

Comparing the two further, Maclin was considered talented enough to be drafted in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft. Alexander, for all the fan talk about his potential and possible #1 receiver ability, was generally considered a mid-rounder before his Senior Bowl injury and not only went completely undrafted but wasn't signed as an UDFA because he hasn't been able to pass a physical until this month.

Obviously his injury status played a role in how he was viewed on draft day, but it's not as if teams haven't used picks on injured players whom they thought had a lot of talent (ie. Willis McGahee). My contention for a while now has been that the Rams have a couple of guys who would be good #2, #3, and #4 receivers. What they need is a true #1 playmaker. Since I don't think Alexander is going to be that guy at the NFL level, I'd pass at this point.

richtree is offline Registered User

I messaged him on twitter and he posted his results.

4.4 in the 40yd dash

41.5 in the vertical jump

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    And while there was a point in his college career when Alexander was above Jeremy Maclin on the Missouri depth chart, it never lasted.
    Yes, I agree.....Alexander had one outstanding year. His most recent year, but one outstanding year still the same.
    Alexander, for all the fan talk about his potential and possible #1 receiver ability, was generally considered a mid-rounder before his Senior Bowl injury
    The same as Mardy Gilyard who so many are ga-ga over. If the doctors say his knee is good to go, and he was considered as draftable as Gilyard, the mid-rounder, then why not?
    Obviously his injury status played a role in how he was viewed on draft day, but it's not as if teams haven't used picks on injured players whom they thought had a lot of talent (ie. Willis McGahee).
    I don't thnk anyone (at least I'm not) is claiming that Alexander was a 1st rounder such as Willis McGahee. You roll the dice and claim the rights to a McGahee. You want for the doc's report, then make a bid (or not) on an Alexander.
    Since I don't think Alexander is going to be that guy at the NFL level, I'd pass at this point.
    And here is the irreconcilable difference between you and I on this issue. You don't think he's any better than anybody else already in camp. I think (if healthy) he makes the opening day roster.

I don't think you and I are going to see eye-to-eye on this (and that's okay). I just hope that the FO will put together a set of receivers that will help Bradford develop.........with or w/o Alexander.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I messaged him on twitter and he posted his results.

4.4 in the 40yd dash

41.5 in the vertical jump
    Those are impressive numbers, but from what I've read, the Rams are still the only team to express interest in him. As a fan of the guy, rich, I'd be interested in hearing why you think that is.

If the doctors say his knee is good to go, and he was considered as draftable as Gilyard, the mid-rounder, then why not?
    I don't thnk anyone (at least I'm not) is claiming that Alexander was a 1st rounder such as Willis McGahee. You roll the dice and claim the rights to a McGahee. You want for the doc's report, then make a bid (or not) on an Alexander.
    But that's my point, HUb. McGahee was merely an example of how teams aren't afraid to draft injured players if they feel they're talented enough to be worth the risk.

For more recent examples, look at the two receivers Denver drafted this year - Thomas and Decker. Both injured, but both viewed as talented enough with enough potential for the next level to be worth the pick. No team felt the same way of Alexander, who went undrafted and remains unsigned.

What Alexander did in college in 2009 was amazing, no doubt. But I question his pro potential, and combined with an injury history that would be more appropriate for a retiring NFL veteran, I'm with the majority of other teams in this league that prefer to stick with what they already have. That's about as clear as I can be in answering the "why not" question.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    But that's my point, HUb. McGahee was merely an example of how teams aren't afraid to draft injured players if they feel they're talented enough to be worth the risk.

For more recent examples, look at the two receivers Denver drafted this year - Thomas and Decker. Both injured, but both viewed as talented enough with enough potential for the next level to be worth the pick. No team felt the same way of Alexander, who went undrafted and remains unsigned.

What Alexander did in college in 2009 was amazing, no doubt. But I question his pro potential, and combined with an injury history that would be more appropriate for a retiring NFL veteran, I'm with the majority of other teams in this league that prefer to stick with what they already have. That's about as clear as I can be in answering the "why not" question.
    And as 48 hours has passed since his workout and no contract has come from the Rams, I'm fine with the notion that he is not ready to play.

The Rams looked at him. That's all I wanted. My point is and has been that injury history is not a reason to not look at him. The Rams agreed as has been reported.....they looked at him.

He's not ready; they didn't sign him. I'm satisfied with that.

richtree is offline Registered User

He is working out for a couple more teams before he makes a commitment.

I think he doesn't want to talk contracts until all 3 of his workouts are complete.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    He is working out for a couple more teams before he makes a commitment.

I think he doesn't want to talk contracts until all 3 of his workouts are complete.
    If he's working out for a couple more teams besides the Rams, it hasn't been reported outside his own Twitter account, from what I've been able to find. He also said prior to his pro day that some teams told him they'd "sign me right off the bat," which hasn't happened. I'm not trying to question or doubt him, but I just don't think he's as highly thought of by NFL teams as he is by fans. Who knows, I could be wrong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123