Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Day 2 OL Options

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Day 2 OL Options

I, personally, do not subscribe to the "Jeff Fisher's never taken an OL in Round 1 so he won't do so in the future" theory. That said, the Rams may decide that there are better options or more pressing needs to fill in the first round. If that's the case, who are the top OL who will likely be available in Round 2 and beyond?

I'm assuming that the following OL will be taken in Round 1: Jake Matthews, Gregg Robinson, Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin, David Yankey, Cyrus Kouandjio.

1. Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
    Moses is a true mountain of a man (6'6, 325). However, as he demonstrated at the Senior Bowl, he moves well and does a good job of protecting the edge. I think he projects as a potential starter at either OT spot.

2. Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    The top player at his position, Swanson has good size (6'5, 315) and power. His strength is as a pass protector, which would make Sam Bradford very happy. He's no slouch as a run blocker, too.

3. Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
    Mewhort does not have elite physical tools, but he is a sound technician, tough, and a good leader. He has experience at both tackle and guard spots, which could be valuable for a team like the Rams with a lot of potential openings on the OL.

4. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
    Huge, powerful and a mauler as a run blocker. Check, check and check. Jackson's weakness, as is often the case with big men, can be exposed by quick DTs, such as Aaron Donald, who beat him a couple of times in the Senior Bowl. However, I think with Jackson, the good outweighs the limitations.

5. Xavier Su'a Filo, OG, UCLA
    A bit small for an OG in a power blocking scheme at 305, but has good strength and great experience. Might be better suited for a zone blocking team, but worth a look.

6. Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    I think his stock tumbled a bit at the Senior Bowl, where his trouble with quicker DL was exposed. No doubt that he'd be an asset in the running game, but as a pass blocker, there are still question marks.

7. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    Richardson shouldbe much higher on this list. From a physical standpoint, he has elite tools. He did not develop them, though, and had some poor showings in college (including a notable "ownage" by Jadeveon Clowney). Whoever drafts him will have to "coach him up" and hope he's not another Alex Barron.

Other notables (Av's): Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State; JuWan James, OT, Tennessee; Jon Halapio, OG, Florida; Marcus Martin, C, USC (Proposed in responses): James Hurst, OT, North Carolina; Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson; Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State; Bryan Stork, C, FSU)
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-14-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Re: Day 2 OL Options

I think that Moses is going to end up going in round 1.

I might also add James Hurst from UNC to your list as well.

Moses could certainly go in the late first, though 6 OTs in the first round would be a lot.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I like Moses a lot, and think he will last till the early/mid 2nd due to so many other lineman going in front of him. Would love to have him.

Billy Turner is high on my list as well, but only if we can get him in the 3rd. Wouldn't take him in the 2nd. Turner has tremendous bend in his knees. Better than a lot of prospects slotted before him. Think he could be a great guard and good swing tackle if needed if he puts the work in.

Jackson and Richardson are good options for the 3rd round if they make it there. Richardson needs a little work, but Bodreau would school him up. Jackson needs to counter his slower speed with some better technique IMO, but I think he could get there.

Antonio Richardson is a good choice as well, needs some work, but he has everything you want in a tackle, just need to mold him some.

I'd add Brandon Thomas as a late 4th rounder/early 5th if lucky. Could be a very nice guard and they have shown interest in him.

Great list Av.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -02-13-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I had the pleasure of watching Turner pave the way to 3 straight FCS National Championships, right here in Fargo. I don't believe he missed a game, in 4 years. Versatile and strong as a bull. He essentially owned every defender he faced. He will be a major find for whoever grabs him.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    I had the pleasure of watching Turner pave the way to 3 straight FCS National Championships, right here in Fargo. I don't believe he missed a game, in 4 years. Versatile and strong as a bull. He essentially owned every defender he faced. He will be a major find for whoever grabs him.
    Hopefully the Rams are the ones who find and grab him.

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

I love Antonio Richardson, he's a big piece of clay that coach Boudreau can mold into a pretty good player

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think it's time the Rams sure up the C position and take the best player in the draft at that position in Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think it's time the Rams sure up the C position and take the best player in the draft at that position in Swanson
    I agree that finding a long-term answer at center would be a good idea. I would love for Swanson to be a Ram.

If they decided not to go with Swanson they could still choose either Richburg from CSU or Stork from FSU and still get a really good player.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Moses could certainly go in the late first, though 6 OTs in the first round would be a lot.
    Good point, but I still think he's going to sneak in there.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

James Hurst is a terrific prospect. Not sure teams would downgrade him that extensively because of a broken leg in the bowl game. I'd be thrilled if the Rams got him in rd3.

Richburg will go day2.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I, personally, do not subscribe to the "Jeff Fisher's never taken an OL in Round 1 so he won't do so in the future" theory. That said, the Rams may decide that there are better options or more pressing needs to fill in the first round. If that's the case, who are the top OL who will likely be available in Round 2 and beyond?

I'm assuming that the following OL will be taken in Round 1: Jake Matthews, Gregg Robinson, Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin, David Yankey, Cyrus Kouandjio.

1. Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
    Moses is a true mountain of a man (6'6, 325). However, as he demonstrated at the Senior Bowl, he moves well and does a good job of protecting the edge. I think he projects as a potential starter at either OT spot.

2. Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    The top player at his position, Swanson has good size (6'5, 315) and power. His strength is as a pass protector, which would make Sam Bradford very happy. He's no slouch as a run blocker, too.

3. Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
    Mewhort does not have elite physical tools, but he is a sound technician, tough, and a good leader. He has experience at both tackle and guard spots, which could be valuable for a team like the Rams with a lot of potential openings on the OL.

4. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
    Huge, powerful and a mauler as a run blocker. Check, check and check. Jackson's weakness, as is often the case with big men, can be exposed by quick DTs, such as Aaron Donald, who beat him a couple of times in the Senior Bowl. However, I think with Jackson, the good outweighs the limitations.

5. Xavier Su'a Filo, OG, UCLA
    A bit small for an OG in a power blocking scheme at 305, but has good strength and great experience. Might be better suited for a zone blocking team, but worth a look.

6. Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    I think his stock tumbled a bit at the Senior Bowl, where his trouble with quicker DL was exposed. No doubt that he'd be an asset in the running game, but as a pass blocker, there are still question marks.

7. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    Richardson shouldbe much higher on this list. From a physical standpoint, he has elite tools. He did not develop them, though, and had some poor showings in college (including a notable "ownage" by Jadeveon Clowney). Whoever drafts him will have to "coach him up" and hope he's not another Alex Barron.

Other notables: Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State; JuWan James, OT, Tennessee; Jon Halapio, OG, Florida; Marcus Martin, C, USC
    This is a pretty long and impressive list of potential 2nd rounders. With that in mind I'm thinking if we in fact keep our 2nd pick in the 1st round, I say go with the BPA.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Your list looks good, Av. Some names I would add as potential Day Two options: Weston Richburg, James Hurst, and Brandon Thomas.

I think Moses is a guy the Rams could be intrigued by, because I think he has some qualities - both positive and negative - that may remind Fisher of Michael Roos.

I'm particularly intrigued by Richardson (with Boudreau coaching him up), Hurst (depending on the medical evaluation), Turner (anxious to see his Combine testing), and Thomas (as a guard who could shift outside to tackle if needed).

Thanks for the additions, guys. I would have no problem adding all of them to the list of notables.
    Nick likes this.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Has everyone forgotten or given up on Barrett Jones already? I think we already have our solution for our center problem with him. He comes from one of the top programs in the country, where he played a different position every year, and managed to earn an award at each position. He hasn't missed a lot of time due to injury. And he essentially got medically red shirted this past year, so we don't know what he is capable of. While some people may mark that as a strike against him, I would argue that you would get that same level of uncertainty of how someone will play in the nfl from any rookie we drafted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast