Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 2 picks?

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Day 2 picks?

If the Rams take a DE and OT in the first two rounds then who should they take after that? It seems that this years WR crop is extremely deep. Could y'all see the Rams waiting to take a WR in one of the later rounds? Marcus Monk is projected to be 4-5 round pick and he just ran a 4.4 at Arkansas pro day. DJ Hall is another WR projected in the 4-5 round. Reading some of the mock drafts out there I find that there seems to be a lot of talent in the later rounds this year not exclusively at WR. So, under the philosophy of teams being built in the success of the later rounds who do you guys suggest?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Day 2 picks?

If we go line - line in Rounds 1&2, then we should go once more line in Round 3 then draft skill positions in Day 2. This years draft is funky for the Rams because they need this one and next year to get really nasty. Build the line this year and then with the 2nd pick in next years draft get the skill positions.

Rambos is offline Registered User

If the Rams take a DE and OT in the first two rounds
    If we go Jake Long then we will go DE in the second IMO.

If we get C. Long then we will go WR in the second IMO.

I would Like to add LB,SS,OT,CB

I do not want a QB yet, rather take a shot at WR or OT late.

The Special One is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I do not want a QB yet, rather take a shot at WR or OT late.
    Agreed. QB is not a need at all. Bulger can still perform. It'll be a godd 2 or 3 years before we start thinking about finding someone to replace Marc. For now, the QB position si looking good.

I just don't want to see us waste a pick on a position that we already have depth in. And that's why I HATED the pcik of Brian Leonard in last year's 2nd round.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

I second Rambos, with the exception of SS. This year's class is extremely shallow and at our current picks, unless somehow one fell to the top of the next round(highly unlikely), it would be an extreme reach to take one this year. Next year's crop is supposed to be much better, and probably will, as juniors will realize that the league is Safety hungry and will declare.

While I might not agree to draft line in the first three rounds, two of the first three make sense. The problem becomes that at the top of the second, there doesn't seem to be any value picks for either line popping up, as second round talents are being projected to go in the late first(Sam Baker) and former first round talents(Calais Campbell) I wouldn't draft until the third, if then.

If we desperately want to try the Carriker DE theory, then there are some DT prospects at the top of the second that could warrant selection, but that doesn't really help the pass rush.

I think it will make the best value sense to grab either Jake or Chris Long at the top of the draft, maybe Gholston if we're really sold on him, which I'm still not as I haven't seen anything to prove to me he's more than just a really good athlete. Then we should be able to grab a real good WR in the second or trade down using QB's as bait, picking up a mid second round line talent and another pick. In the third, we fill in the hole that's left, where OT should still be reasonable for a backup/future starter and pass rushers are more in our value range.

Okay, I'm glad some of you got your QB opinions of your chest and I appreciate your predictions on the first two rounds but I think there are other threads where your predictions may be more applicable. I am curious who you guys see after the second. TX, I've said it before. I would be completely fine with the Rams collecting Lineman in this draft (at all positions). But, is there a guy like Monk, Davis, Hall, that in your opinion could be an upgrade to what the Rams field already? Second day picks only please.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Guys like Jerome Simpson, WR, Costal Carolina , Kevin O'Connell, QB, San Diego state, and Duane Brown, OT, Virginia Tech. intrigue me as Day 2 prospect.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    If we go line - line in Rounds 1&2, then we should go once more line in Round 3 then draft skill positions in Day 2. This years draft is funky for the Rams because they need this one and next year to get really nasty. Build the line this year and then with the 2nd pick in next years draft get the skill positions.

Why are you so down on the OL this year?

Do you not like Pace, Bell, Barron, Richie and whoever playes Center? At least we got some experience on the line since all the injuries...

TekeRam is online now Registered User

I agree Dominating, the nice part about our injury issues last year is that our line is actually flush with guys who had a lot of playing time last year. That said, that doesn't mean that they're the best we can get.

I agree that we should go line - line if the value if there. The problem is that I don't see the line value being there in the second at the moment. I DO see WR and maybe LB value being there. Of course, there's also a good chance that either QB's will be taken ahead of us, meaning more value to us, or a QB will fall to us and we can trade down, which would lead to more OT and DE value, and maybe WR, but I doubt it. The best value we'll get for a WR is at #33 ion my mind.

To get this back on day two picks, I would like to go after Bruce Davis-DE, Henry Smith-NT(though he'll either be an Mr. I or a FA), Geoff Schwartz-OG, and Robert Jordan-WR. All of whom are good effort guys, if not the best athletes, but that's exactly what you need with second day guys, character, heart, and desire.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'd really like to see one each of DT, OL, and DE drafted in the lower rounds.

I like the the Bruce Davis pick. He seems like a "tweener", but that I think would fit perfect into the 3-4 situations that HAS likes to run. Plus, you could even plug him in on obvious pass situations. He could even bulk up next offseason and who knows. Good prospect IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I'd really like to see one each of DT, OL, and DE drafted in the lower rounds.
    I've seen a few mocks that have Frank Okam falling somewhere around the 4th-5th round. I've read some things about his work ethic, but he does have a lot of potential. He is huge, 6'5" 320, that would help plug some lanes. I think he would be good in rotation.

I think Marcus Monk was highly neglected at Arkansas. I think he'd be a great pickup on Day 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Why are you so down on the OL this year?

Do you not like Pace, Bell, Barron, Richie and whoever playes Center? At least we got some experience on the line since all the injuries...
    Why am I down on the O line:

1. Pace is getting up there in NFL years.
    2. Incognito has never played a whole season
    3. Barron can't figure out the snap count still
    4. Injuries decimated this squad last year, who's to say it won't happen again?

That's why

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think Marcus Monk was highly neglected at Arkansas. I think he'd be a great pickup on Day 2.
    I'd have to agree with you. One of the things over looked in WR evaluations is run blocking. I don't know for sure, but based on the running game at Arkansas you would believe that he's gotta be a pretty good run blocker as well. The Rams need help at WR even if they draft a burner early, I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up one later as well. TX, what do you think of DJ Hall?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast