ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

DBs will visit Rams

DBs will visit Rams

03/05/2005

Searching for depth in the secondary, the Rams are bringing in free-agent defensive backs Michael Hawthorne and Michael Stone for visits to Rams Park this week.

Hawthorne was released Friday by Green Bay, which decided not to pay him a $135,000 roster bonus. Stone is an unrestricted free agent from the Arizona Cardinals. Both players are safety-cornerback "tweeners." Hawthorne is 6 feet 3, 204 pounds; Stone is 6-0, 201.

Hawthorne had 36 tackles, seven pass breakups and two forced fumbles for the Packers last season. Hawthorne, 28, started the first five games of the 2004 season, but then spent the rest of the season covering slot receivers in Green Bay's nickel and dime packages. The Rams' new secondary coach, Kurt Schottenheimer, coached the Packers' secondary last season.

Rams defensive end Bryce Fisher will make a free-agent trip to his hometown of Seattle on Wednesday.

It looks as if free-agent offensive tackle Fred Miller will not return to the Rams, where he played from 1996-99. Miller, a cap casualty in Tennessee, is expected to decide between Chicago and New Orleans, perhaps as early as Sunday.

The Rams are scheduled to talk with agents for offensive tackle Orlando Pace early this week about a multi-year contract.

- Jim Thomas

ramhard is offline Registered User

Not another Cardinal - and ST

Please not another Arizona Cardinal cast-off. Not excited about Michael Hawthorne either unless he is a FS that was mistakenly cast by
    Green Bay to try and play CB, and couldn't get on the field at FS because of Darren Sharper. Then he might be a depth stop gap until our drafted FS gets some experience. My key to who to pick-up for depth is .... ARE THEY SPECIAL TEAM DEMONS. If Hawthorne isn't a special team wiz, then don't bring him in. Our depth pickups have to be good on special teams.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: DBs will visit Rams

They both have good size which we are lacking in the secondary. I don't think it would hurt to have them as back ups. Who knows, maybe one of them will pan out as a FS and they can move Arch back to SS.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Rams defensive end Bryce Fisher will make a free-agent trip to his hometown of Seattle on Wednesday

Great. Take another one of our great DE's.

How come it seems like the Rams are the most impacted by guys that they bring up to speed in their 3rd year, or whatever, and then leave via free agency?

I'm sure it happens to every team, but what the $%@#$^@#$

Guys just coming into their own, and BLAM, gone.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

Martz was on KMOX last night and talked about the teams interest in Stone. Never really established himself with the new coaches. In Marmie's last year Stone was moved from Corner to safety and seemed to be catching on but got hurt. Martz said they really wanted to sign him and move him to safety. Also said he was one of the best special teams players in the league. Stone has a visit with NE scheduled after talking to the Rams.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I got an idea....

Let's get ALL of our players from Arizona. Both the Cards and the Sun Devils.

The coaches, the players, the water boys....all of it.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'm glad to see Martz is actually going out and signing special teams talent. He knows his job's on the line this year.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

If his job is on the line(which I highly doutb) He will be in for a rude awakening!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!