Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: DE Dunalp in rd 2 ? Is he Little's successor ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLSG View Post
    Would Spags have passed on Warren Sapp ?
    We're a couple of weeks away from passing on a well-behaved version of Warren Sapp, so yes.

SLSG is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    We're a couple of weeks away from passing on a well-behaved version of Warren Sapp, so yes.

Suh and Sapp are two completely different players. Suh will never be as quick as Sapp was. Sapp was always in the backfield and wreaking havoc. Suh doesn't have that burst that Sapp did.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

If Rams draft Suh in first then, No don't draft Dunlap.
    If Rams draft Bradford yes draft him if he falls to 33.

Spags will get him to play motivated. (EXAMPLE) The Whiners Mike Singletary got TE Vernan Davis to play.

Spags makes players earn there spots i9n the line up. He'll make him earn the starting spot.
    Rams wasted 3years with DE Eric Moore.

I think Dunlap will do alot better than that.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think Dunlap is a fit here. I question whether he fits the Four Pillars, but even if the Rams drafted him, I question whether they'd be able to get him to his potential. They weren't able to motivate Alex Barron or get Richie's hot temper under control, so how could anyone be optimistic that they'd be able to light a fire under Dunlap?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    If Rams draft Suh in first then, No don't draft Dunlap.
    If Rams draft Bradford yes draft him if he falls to 33.

Spags will get him to play motivated. (EXAMPLE) The Whiners Mike Singletary got TE Vernan Davis to play.

Spags makes players earn there spots i9n the line up. He'll make him earn the starting spot.
    Rams wasted 3years with DE Eric Moore.

I think Dunlap will do alot better than that.
    Shan i think we teaming up for Dunlap.

I dont want to mention any names but some of you guys just look at his character and automatically he is a no regardless of talent or understanding of our scheme and coaching staff.

Something to understand is what we got on the team. Chris Long who can show the guy how to work hard. James Hall and Fred Robbins to kick him in the butt and motivate him to play harder.

Honestly we signed Spags to be head coach knowing how good he churns out those nice DE (look at Osi's production when spags was gone) So lets give him the talent and see what he can do about the character.

I dont see why ppl are so blind. Spags style of play is a very good run game with a Defense that can penetrate. Not no Greatest show on turf or any Cardinals style of spread offense.

Take notes on what the Jets did last year when they got there Sanchise (i live in NJ i know all about it) They had a D that got to the QB and a very nice running game.

Let's see just what type of coach he is. Lets see what he can do if he has the talent.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think Dunlap is a fit here. I question whether he fits the Four Pillars, but even if the Rams drafted him, I question whether they'd be able to get him to his potential. They weren't able to motivate Alex Barron or get Richie's hot temper under control, so how could anyone be optimistic that they'd be able to light a fire under Dunlap?
    Okay i agree on Cogs.

But really think about Barron. I know its an important part of the game but lets take away the penalties for a second. Barron did a pretty good job blocking for us. It was his penalties that ruined everything for us. Remember last year Barron gave up 7.5 sacks this year he allowed 2 less sacks and gave up 5.5

here is a quote from an nfl forum comparing Barron to the rest of the league's O-line:

Alex Barron. Games: 16 / GS: 16
    Sacks Allowed: 5.5 / Sack%: 0.91% / Holding Penalties: 5

League-wide, the Left Tackle (LT) position average is 1.15%. In 2008, playing almost exclusively at RT Alex Barron allowed 7.5 sacks in 15 starts making him the 28th rated starting RT in the league that season.

In 2009 Barron played nearly the entire season at LT. Replacing Orlando Pace, Barron allowed 5.5 sacks. This works out to a rate of 0.91% which is below (better) than the league-wide rate.

In terms of pure sack stats this is all good a well, but this was unfortunately more than offset by the fact that Barron allowed what I believe to be a league-high, 11 penalties 5 of which were holding penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    But really think about Barron. I know its an important part of the game but lets take away the penalties for a second. Barron did a pretty good job blocking for us. It was his penalties that ruined everything for us. Remember last year Barron gave up 7.5 sacks this year he allowed 2 less sacks and gave up 5.5

here is a quote from an nfl forum comparing Barron to the rest of the league's O-line:
    Here's the problem - you can't take away the penalties for a second. They're there, and they're part of the evaluation, and as of late November, he was the most penalized player in the entire league. You can't just say, "Okay, ignore that for a second..."

Secondly, Stats LLC credits Barron as having allowed 7.5 sacks in 2009, the same as he allowed in 2008. He was penalized two more times in 2009 than in 2008, so if anything, he regressed moving to left tackle in terms of sacks allowed and penalties. I'm not sure where your NFL forum got their numbers, but they don't match up with the ones I've found.

Finally, let's consider the most telling evidence at all - if Barron had basically done a good job last year, (1) why would he have gotten benched mid-game against the *****, and (2) why would the Rams be willing to accept just a second round pick in exchange for him as a RFA?

The Rams' coaching staff weren't able to get Richie Incognito under control. They weren't able to get Alex Barron to focus and play to his potential. How optimistic can we be that they'll be able to do it for Dunlap? That's assuming they even take a chance on a guy arrested as recently as last December.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Its not right to say he doesn't care. If he didn't care he wouldn't be playing football, wouldn't have went to the combine, and wouldn't have played for Florida. He is simply lazy. Plain and simple. He wants it but not as bad as other guys and his motivation goes up and down. Ive known many guys just like him. Some coach may get through to him. That lazy bug imo will always bug him however.
    I think you probably nailed it. Unfortunately, mentality can be hard to fix. You can try to keep a guy motivated, but external motivation isn't going to keep the guy running as hard as the guys who are highly self-motivated. Of course, one of the things you have to ask yourself in these situations is whether you're willing to have a guy who may not give his all every play but is still highly productive when he does. Could a defensive line rotation help mitigate against his inconsistent motor? Is it just a matter of immaturity that he could grow out of?

I think his interviews would play a big part in the decision. If missing the 'Bama game that ultimately cost Florida a chance to play in this year's title game wasn't a wake-up call, he'd land right there on my 10-foot pole list.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

BarronWade and Nick.

If he is the BPA , I hope the Rams fill the need of DE and draft him.

Nick would you change your opinion if he becomes a better DE than Julius Peppers.

( didn't DE L. Little killed someone back in the day DUI)

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

BarronWade and Nick.

If he is the BPA , I hope the Rams fill the need of DE and draft him.

Nick would you change your opinion if he becomes a better DE than Julius Peppers.

( didn't DE L. Little killed someone back in the day DUI)
    Different era, and the fact that Little may end up retiring a Ram is one of the more regrettable acts on this franchise's part in the last decade; single-handedly costing us the moral high ground in any debate about felonious activity in the NFL. Personally I'd rather we close the book on Little and not start playing the "Little got away with literal murder" card.

If you can't keep your head on for the biggest game in the season, we as a team do not need you. You cannot be counted on in the future. Any talent you have is outweighed by the inconsistency we'd be facing.

My opinion is that he isn't a Four Pillars guy, this staff hasn't demonstrated the ability to get the most out of players with attitude/work ethic issues, and thus he shouldn't be the pick. Him becoming the next Peppers or better on another team doesn't mean he would have on this team under this staff. If the Rams draft him and he becomes that, I'll happily eat a plate of crow for being wrong on the issue.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Nick, what are your thoughts on Jerry Hughes? He reminds me a little bit of Brian Orakpo. If he's available at 33 do you think he's a fit for the Rams?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12