Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: In defense of Marqise Lee

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

In defense of Marqise Lee

There is a possibility Marqise Lee could be this years version of Alshon Jeffery....

Jeffery stats post soph year when he was a "lock for top 5": 88 receptions, 1517 yards, 9 tds

Junior year where he suddenly lost talent: 49 receptions, 762 yards, 8 tds.

Jeffery battled injury and other issues, and his stats slid.. Rather than being the bonafide top 5 pick he was considered a year prior, he fell to round 2.

Lets look at Lee:

Soph year where he was considered a bonafide lock for top 5 if he could declare: 118 receptions, 1721 yards, 14 touchdowns.

Junior year where talent has been lost and he is not as good: 50 receptions, 673 yards, 2 touchdowns, with more time to add on to those stats.

I have always been and will remain a big Marqise Lee fan. IMO you suddenly do not lose talent at this stage, and he has just been battling injuries ala Jeffery.

He will fall as did Jeffery, perhaps not as much, but whichever team is able to scoop him up I feel will be getting a steal.

I hope it is our Rams.
    lostsoul and sosa39rams like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: In defense of Marqise Lee

It wasn't a loss of talent that's made Lee drop down draft boards, it was a combination of nagging injuries, sub-par QB play, and Lane Kiffin's crappy play calling that accomplished that.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    It wasn't a loss of talent that's made Lee drop down draft boards, it was a combination of nagging injuries, sub-par QB play, and Lane Kiffin's crappy play calling that accomplished that.
    I don't think he was ever that high. He is 6ft flat....and still only 190something lbs......He better run a crazy fast time....He seems to have to prove he is more than a Quinton Patton to get up higher on boards

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I don't think he was ever that high. He is 6ft flat....and still only 190something lbs......He better run a crazy fast time....He seems to have to prove he is more than a Quinton Patton to get up higher on boards
    I disagree, if he could have come out after his sophomore year he most likely would have been one of the top receivers taken. He's probably closer to 6-1 than 6-0 which is average height for a receiver, but he plays a lot bigger than most receivers his size. He's physical, fast, and runs great routes, not too mention he's hardworking and great in the locker room. When he last played Oregon he lined up against Ifo Ekpre-Olumu, who many consider the best CB in this years draft and a 1st round lock, and beat him for 12 catches for 157 yards with 2 TD's. Not too shabby if you ask me.
    lostsoul likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

quit the sub-par qb play, Kessler, once actually freakin chosen like he should have been already, picked it up and the entire team was riddled with unjustly sanctions, smaller numbers, and injuries affected everything

that said, marqise lee just suffered from injuries, how can you make plays when you're not on the field?

Also, what's this talk about height and stats?

If you can play, it doesn't matter, marqise lee has got the effort to get work done and improve as well as the athleticism to go along with it

marqise lee will have a great NFL career, whether the rams take him in the first is up to fisher

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I agree 100% THOLT. I thought the exact same pre-draft comparison. You don't lose talent like that. Lee is still a special player who's going to win all the jump balls that go his way. Great speed and a talented route runner to boot, he's the type of player that can be a top 5 WR in this league. I wouldn't be against spending a 1st on him.
    THOLTFAN81 and citr92 like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

i mean yea, if fisher wants him...i trust his judgement

the rams need receivers that can get open, he is DEFINITELY one of them

I disagree, if he could have come out after his sophomore year he most likely would have been one of the top receivers taken. He's probably closer to 6-1 than 6-0 which is average height for a receiver, but he plays a lot bigger than most receivers his size. He's physical, fast, and runs great routes, not too mention he's hardworking and great in the locker room. When he last played Oregon he lined up against Ifo Ekpre-Olumu, who many consider the best CB in this years draft and a 1st round lock, and beat him for 12 catches for 157 yards with 2 TD's. Not too shabby if you ask me.

No he wouldn't have have been a top guy taken....that hype talk....who does he compare to in the NFL ...right now he is Burleson type....can he play Cobb slot ? idk.....may be a tweener...

lots for him to prove at combine...you can't quote any stats from a game where Matt Barkley almost threw for 500 yds....obviously NO DEFENSE WAS PLAYED

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    No he wouldn't have have been a top guy taken....that hype talk....who does he compare to in the NFL ...right now he is Burleson type....can he play Cobb slot ? idk.....may be a tweener...

lots for him to prove at combine...you can't quote any stats from a game where Matt Barkley almost threw for 500 yds....obviously NO DEFENSE WAS PLAYED
    Obviously you must have never been on the ESPN or Bleacher Report websites because each one of them said that Marqise Lee would have been one of the top receivers taken in last years draft. Heck, even after his freshman year some scouts were calling him the top pick in the 2014 draft (although I even admitted that was a little premature). Of course he hasn't been through the combine yet, so who know's how well he'll test out, but as far as the game film shows he's a top notch receiver.

Obviously you must have never been on the ESPN or Bleacher Report websites because each one of them said that Marqise Lee would have been one of the top receivers taken in last years draft. Heck, even after his freshman year some scouts were calling him the top pick in the 2014 draft (although I even admitted that was a little premature). Of course he hasn't been through the combine yet, so who know's how well he'll test out, but as far as the game film shows he's a top notch receiver.
    Vinne,

Have you watch video of the top 40 WRs ??? of this year, and last year ?????

Bleacher Report and ESPN are wrong every year..Scouts don't release their information.

How many people had Dobson in the second round...how many people had Justin Hunter or Robert Woods on ESPN OR BLEACHER REPORT.....

at the end of his sophomore year, you better believe he would have been a top pick...you kidding?

though i don't pay much attention to either ESPN or BR, marqise lee is definitely a talent for sure, he just needs to heal up and I expect a good combine from him

and don't judge from one game...when there are records like that, of course there's no defense duh

but anyway, just because he's not keenan allen doesn't mean he's not good, heck, he's not even over hyped

he maybe got a bit too much his sophomore season when teams had robert woods to also worry about and they continued to ignore woods on offense unfortunately but if you've watched him play you'd be on crack to ignore his abilities

who cares if he's "short" or not big enough, he can add weight, remember...some people just have "it" and i believe marqise lee does in fact have "it"

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Jeffrey has elite physical attributes that Lee lacks. The reason that Jeffrey dropped was that his production was regarded as being largely due to his failure to return for his Junior season in shape. That red flag made him a second round pick. Credit to the Bears for getting him to play to his potential.

Lee may prove to be a very good player but, to me, he's a late 1st round prospect at best.

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    at the end of his sophomore year, you better believe he would have been a top pick...you kidding?

though i don't pay much attention to either ESPN or BR, marqise lee is definitely a talent for sure, he just needs to heal up and I expect a good combine from him

and don't judge from one game...when there are records like that, of course there's no defense duh

but anyway, just because he's not keenan allen doesn't mean he's not good, heck, he's not even over hyped

he maybe got a bit too much his sophomore season when teams had robert woods to also worry about and they continued to ignore woods on offense unfortunately but if you've watched him play you'd be on crack to ignore his abilities

who cares if he's "short" or not big enough, he can add weight, remember...some people just have "it" and i believe marqise lee does in fact have "it"
    Let me make this clear.

I DO LIKE MARQUISE LEE as an NFL player. I have a hard time with him playing on the outside. I think he will be a Nate Burleson type as #2/#3 WR -- Too many of you guys think that is an insult. It is not. He will be a better version of Burleson, but I feel the only chance he has to be a true freak is player the Randall Cobb role in an offense.

If I was a team that needs WRs (like the Rams per-say) I would NO-WAY take Lee over Coleman, Robinson, or Landry as these 3 guys are legit outside WRs.

I really see Lee as a faller that could be out of Round 1 altogether. I definitely think 2 of the 3 above WRs will go before him..not to mention Watkins as well.....

Marqise Lee - USC Football - YouTube <--- look at that video and you see he doesn't even look much bigger than the kid......He needs a year of NFL conditioning and a coach that will put him in motion and the slot almost ever play.

He has a great life story, and a great kid....hard not to root for him but I don't think he is round 1 talent , nor anything but a slot WR --- If he can prove he is strong enough to play every down in the slot, then he is worth a chance as a Randall Cobb type (not as good).....either way not for Rams we have Austin already
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Scout.com currently has Lee as their #1 rated WR.

We'll see if that ranking remains after the combine.

Scout.com: 2014 NFL Draft WR Rankings

But all I've heard are good things about the kid. I haven't analyzed film on him, nor would I be able to do so competently compared to a real NFL scout - almost no one here can, despite what we'd all like to think.

I expect him to go in the first round myself, but I've been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    Scout.com currently has Lee as their #1 rated WR.

We'll see if that ranking remains after the combine.

Scout.com: 2014 NFL Draft WR Rankings

But all I've heard are good things about the kid. I haven't analyzed film on him, nor would I be able to do so competently compared to a real NFL scout - almost no one here can, despite what we'd all like to think.

I expect him to go in the first round myself, but I've been wrong before.

Scout.com is known for their evaluation of High School players to college. You are correct that the combine can have an impact on moving players rankings. I am trying to be non-bias and I am willing to move my rankings of ANY PLAYER, ARE YOU?????

I feel my evaluations (posted here) are as strong as any website rankings unless they physically go out and talk to each of the kids and their coaches.

I already have Laquon Treadwell atop my 2016 Draft rankings.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast