Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: In defense of Marqise Lee

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: In defense of Marqise Lee

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Let me make this clear.

I DO LIKE MARQUISE LEE as an NFL player. I have a hard time with him playing on the outside. I think he will be a Nate Burleson type as #2/#3 WR -- Too many of you guys think that is an insult. It is not. He will be a better version of Burleson, but I feel the only chance he has to be a true freak is player the Randall Cobb role in an offense.

If I was a team that needs WRs (like the Rams per-say) I would NO-WAY take Lee over Coleman, Robinson, or Landry as these 3 guys are legit outside WRs.

I really see Lee as a faller that could be out of Round 1 altogether. I definitely think 2 of the 3 above WRs will go before him..not to mention Watkins as well.....

Marqise Lee - USC Football - YouTube <--- look at that video and you see he doesn't even look much bigger than the kid......He needs a year of NFL conditioning and a coach that will put him in motion and the slot almost ever play.

He has a great life story, and a great kid....hard not to root for him but I don't think he is round 1 talent , nor anything but a slot WR --- If he can prove he is strong enough to play every down in the slot, then he is worth a chance as a Randall Cobb type (not as good).....either way not for Rams we have Austin already
    like i said before, if fisher wants lee, then i trust his decision

i also said physical attributes don't mean you'll be good, or even good at the position your mold resembles

seen too many guys that are supposed to be good in a position their body is made for and flame out

though i will add Lee can dunk on an 11 foot rim, at his height at least a 38 inch vertical is necessary to touch the rim and you need to be higher than that to actually dunk it...so he may not have size, but leaping ability is there, but i do know how being bigger in general helps

do i think he fits the rams? Dunno, maybe not...do i think he will fall to the rams? Nope, other needs to be met and some organizations always surprise with their picks, especially when it's not a need

and heck, darren sproles is shorter than that kid, but that doesn't matter to sproles, different comparison i know, but you get what i mean right?

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    like i said before, if fisher wants lee, then i trust his decision

i also said physical attributes don't mean you'll be good, or even good at the position your mold resembles

seen too many guys that are supposed to be good in a position their body is made for and flame out

though i will add Lee can dunk on an 11 foot rim, at his height at least a 38 inch vertical is necessary to touch the rim and you need to be higher than that to actually dunk it...so he may not have size, but leaping ability is there, but i do know how being bigger in general helps

do i think he fits the rams? Dunno, maybe not...do i think he will fall to the rams? Nope, other needs to be met and some organizations always surprise with their picks, especially when it's not a need

and heck, darren sproles is shorter than that kid, but that doesn't matter to sproles, different comparison i know, but you get what i mean right?
    I get your point, and just realize that there aren't many 5ft 5in guys in the NBA, nevermind playing power forward.....

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Marqise Lee just defended himself rather nicely.... 7 catches 118 2 tds... He looks back to full health.

His stock is going to soar during pre-draft analysis.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Marqise Lee just defended himself rather nicely.... 7 catches 118 2 tds... He looks back to full health.

His stock is going to soar during pre-draft analysis.
    Yes the second half was big for him. With his production dropping this past year, due to QB play more than anything. I think we could see him go late first early second round range. And somebody will get a good WR there.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Marqise Lee just defended himself rather nicely.... 7 catches 118 2 tds...
    To put that in context, that was against a Fresno State defense that ranks 94th in average opposing QB rating and 119th in average passing yards allowed per game.

So yeah, those are nice numbers, but it was against one of college football's worst pass defenses. He's still a first rounder in my eyes, but I'd caution about overreacting to that performance.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Definitely a first rounder in my eyes. I think his speed and good hands will improve his stock at the combine as well, not to mention the interviews. He's a bright guy.

THE DREAM TEAM

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I don't think he was ever that high. He is 6ft flat....and still only 190something lbs......He better run a crazy fast time....He seems to have to prove he is more than a Quinton Patton to get up higher on boards
    You're going to get this comparison 1000 times on this forum before the draft but those are pretty much the same measurables as Torry Holt and he had a pretty decent NFL career. Quinton Patton was also never a runaway winner of the Biletnikoff award and wasn't consistently projected as a first rounder by most mock drafts. Lee's size would concern normally me but he is just so explosive and such a good athlete who plays bigger than his height and weight that I don't think it will affect his production at the next level.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I want Lee badly in Round 2!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The mystery with Lee is why he fell so far from 2012 to 2013.

That stated, its not like there isn't precedent for this sort of situation. Alshon Jeffrey is a guy who started his last year in college as a Top 10 prospect, had a bad year, fell to the second round, and now is playing like a Blue Chip player. Could Lee follow this pattern?

I'm skeptical, but let's not forget that a certain coach might still have some ties to a certain university that might give him access to some inside info.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Marqise Lee is Robert Woods 2.0. Both touted as top 10 picks and #1 WR's prior to their last years in college, and upon completion of the season both slipped to round 2 and have question marks and injury concerns.

THE DREAM TEAM

marqise lee had an injury he tried to come back to early from which, of course, he re-aggravated

kiffin also just...wasn't....working.....mgmamdkmkmfhklghj

the qb situation wasn't handled well at all

marqise lee=/= robert woods at all

robert woods his junior year was used as a decoy for marqise lee

only comparison is lane kiffin didn't handle the two well at all after their sophomore seasons

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Reports: Knee issue could be affecting Marqise Lee’s draft stock
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 9, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT

A wide receiver regarded as one of the better players left on the board after one round reportedly could be having his draft stock hurt by concerns over a potential knee issue.

Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net reported Friday that USC’s Marquis Lee fell in the draft “due to red flags on his injured knee.” Similarly, Bleacher Report’s Will Carroll reported that “several teams” were “scared” about Lee’s knee. Carroll also quoted an unnamed source who seemed to indicate there could be even more widespread concern about the knee.

Neither report specified the knee that had teams reportedly worried, but Lee did suffer a left knee injury in 2013 for USC.

According to Jene Bramel of FootballGuys.com, Lee had a knee examination at the Combine that went well. According to Bramel, Lee suffered a Grade Two MCL sprain last season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I truly feel bad for Lee. If he comes out last year he would of been a top 15 player.

yea, but he's not in cleveland so there's that lol

but seriously, those injury concerns didn't make much sense

a sprained knee is a sprained knee, you come back too early from anything you can re-aggravate it...then you're hurt more

it happens

best of luck to him, the teams that passed on him for that long messed up imo

richtree is offline Registered User

I feel good that I saw this early....lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12