MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Defensive End Alex Brown

The Chicago Bears now are shopping defensive end Alex Brown. There are no shortage of suitors. Already three teams -- the Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans -- each have expressed an interest.

Posted June 08, by Ben Maller

Should the Rams join the chase?
    I know how much we sucked versus the run but we also sucked against the pass. Hall has not been able to stay healthy so getting Brown would be a good idea. What do you guys think?:l

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Defensive End Alex Brown

Isn't he another one of these guys clamoring for a bigger contract? I'm just thinking if we do go after him we'd better be sure he's a guy we plan on starting for say the next three to five years. If we aren't that high on him, then we're better off not shelling out big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Isn't he another one of these guys clamoring for a bigger contract? I'm just thinking if we do go after him we'd better be sure he's a guy we plan on starting for say the next three to five years. If we aren't that high on him, then we're better off not shelling out big bucks.
    Yes he is looking for a big contract-But look at his stats with the Bears. He can rush the passer AND he can play the run-plus he is very durable,where are we going to find a player his caliber? We should have drafted Aa DE but we didn't and Little will be hitting the wall soon and who really knows if Hall can play 16 games anymore.:\

I am looking at his stats, and what I see is an average of about 6 sacks a year. Where could we get someone who could do that? Well, Hargrove put up 6.5 the last full season he was with us. Heck, La'roi Glover is still capable of putting up that many sacks from an inside tackle position. Maybe Brown does play the run well, but he's not exactly an elite pass-rusher.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Isn't he a Rosenhaus guy? To me, Rosenhaus = Poston = Bubonic plague

All 3 should be avoided at all cost.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I am looking at his stats, and what I see is an average of about 6 sacks a year. Where could we get someone who could do that? Well, Hargrove put up 6.5 the last full season he was with us. Heck, La'roi Glover is still capable of putting up that many sacks from an inside tackle position. Maybe Brown does play the run well, but he's not exactly an elite pass-rusher.
    2006-Alex Brown
    TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD
    47 41 6 7 4 9 3 0 2 22 11 18 0 4
    look at the stats Goldenfleece, Alex makes plays, the 7 sacks he made this past season while splitting time with M Anderson is impressive. Brown gave way to Anderson on passing downs! If brown started and played every down with Little he could easily get 10-15 sacks. ?Hargrove? Really? you think he is as good as Brown? Don't make me laugh-Hargrove sucked, the only reason he played was because we didn't have anybody better. Dont you remember how Hargrove played the run? It still makes me sick.:l

Situational pass rushers don't usually cut into the sacks of the guys they play with. In fact, they keep the other guys fresh. When Bryce Fisher had a big year as a backup with us in 2003, Grant Wistrom also had 7.5 sacks (better than his 2002 performance of 4). Dumervil had a good year for the Broncos backing up Ekuban, and Ekuban improved to 7 sacks (following a 4-sack year). That 7 sacks last season was a career HIGH for Brown. Those other 6-sack seasons, he was a full-time starter. The way I see this, Brown managed seven sacks on a good defensive line where Ogunleye and Harris would be double-teamed before anyone would worry about Brown.My point with Hargrove isn't that they're the same calibur player. I do believe Brown is a better player, but you couldn't tell it from the stats:

Player___Year Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
    Brown___2006: 46 40.0 6 7.0 2 22 11.0 18 0 2
    Hargrove_2005: 51 43.0 8 6.5 0 00 0.0 00 0 2

I reckon Brown is a good enough player that he could start on most teams, but he's not a star.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Massive, no doubt AB is a good player. Given our present needs at DE however, I would prefer and go by my faith in DEs Hall and Adeyanju, especially Victor Adeyanju, to take over Little in his absence when the time comes.

I just think VA is an up-and-coming, strong / promising player with an edge in this regard to Alex Brown. We also have Eric Moore whom I believe will be good DE depth.

Situational pass rushers don't usually cut into the sacks of the guys they play with. In fact, they keep the other guys fresh. When Bryce Fisher had a big year as a backup with us in 2003, Grant Wistrom also had 7.5 sacks (better than his 2002 performance of 4). Dumervil had a good year for the Broncos backing up Ekuban, and Ekuban improved to 7 sacks (following a 4-sack year). That 7 sacks last season was a career HIGH for Brown. Those other 6-sack seasons, he was a full-time starter. The way I see this, Brown managed seven sacks on a good defensive line where Ogunleye and Harris would be double-teamed before anyone would worry about Brown.My point with Hargrove isn't that they're the same calibur player. I do believe Brown is a better player, but you couldn't tell it from the stats:

Player___Year Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
    Brown___2006: 46 40.0 6 7.0 2 22 11.0 18 0 2
    Hargrove_2005: 51 43.0 8 6.5 0 00 0.0 00 0 2

I reckon Brown is a good enough player that he could start on most teams, but he's not a star.
    Not a star-I agree with you 100% but he would be a solid starter for us, that was my point. Harris is the probowler on that line-the rest of the unit is just good-We have Little as our star player but who is left? And the rest of our unit is not very good-maybe our rookies pan out, maybe not but we could improve our defense with Brown. One more thing we all know that Hargrove was NOT stater material, so lets not even go there.:l

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Massive, no doubt AB is a good player. Given our present needs at DE however, I would prefer and go by my faith in DEs Hall and Adeyanju, especially Victor Adeyanju, to take over Little in his absence when the time comes.

I just think VA is an up-and-coming, strong / promising player with an edge in this regard to Alex Brown. We also have Eric Moore whom I believe will be good DE depth.
    I wish I could have that kind of faith RealRam, and nobody would like to see VA do well as much as I would, but these last couple of years the Defense has sucked so bad and I just hope it improves-With guys like E. Moore I doubt it-but I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff.:\
    :r:l:r

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

My room mate is a die hard bear fan (God last years monday night game sucked I hate hester) anyway I said he can't wait to see brown gone and apparently alot of bear lovers don't like the guy and think he is really overrated. I say avoid the guy if were going for an over $$ bear make it briggs not brown

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

More and more players want out of beartown?

I'd want to see the asking proce before doing anything irrational.

marccat is offline Registered User

be a way better move than Jenkins if we pull the crank... I say NO, lets see what we got. IMO we got the chips hoss, let 'em roll!!!

Country is offline Registered User

At the right price both in that trade and in his new contract he is worth it, Brown is better then Hall and would provide great depth as well as a possible starter.

If it can get done and it doesn't cost us anything higher then a 3rd round pick the deal is worth it. Brown, Hall and Little would be an elite rotation and could add a year or two onto Little's career.