Thread: Defensive Line

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Defensive Line

How did Clifton Ryan play last season and does he have the potential to be a good starting defensive tackle?

If he can't ever be more than a rotational DT why not take BJ Raji with the 2nd overall pick? He dominated at the Senior Bowl, and seems to be one of the safer picks in the top 10.

Even if Ryan can be a good starter couldn't we move Carriker back to defensive end, then we would have a very talented (and big) front 4 with Long-Raji-Ryan-Carriker. I can see that line stopping almost any team's running game.

With the 2nd round pick we could take Mack (maybe Unger if Mack isn't there, but I'm not as sure about him) or a safety like Moore, Chung, or Delmas and then in the 3rd round take McKillop the middle linebacker from Pittsburgh.

If we do go Raji, Moore, McKillop we would drastically improve our defense in one day, and then we could sign a decent guard or center through free agency.

FINALLY...what are the chances we resign Atogwe and Bartell, and does Tye Hill have any future with the Rams?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Defensive Line

Sure we could use an upgade @DT. Ryan played ok; about 30 tackles in 12 starts, but we may already have part of the DT solution onboard. We picked up a widebody with talent but character issues called Antwon Burton from KC's PS just after Xmas. As an undrafted rookie, he'll be a lot cheaper than Raji who also has character issues. He's just not worth #2 money,imo. Not with our other key needs,esp OT.

I also think the Rams should try mightily to keep Adeyanju as a swingman back-up/rotional guy at DT/DE. Spagnuolo has been known to play 4 DEs at a time in the past. I think he'll look for flexibility and depth more than one big dog.

Maybe a line that looks like this: Long/Little @LDE, Ryan/Adeyanju @ DT, Burton/cheap FA or low pick @ DT, Carriker/Hall @RDE.

That's more sack power at the end spot and a lot more run-stuffing beef in the middle at the minimum of expense.

I think ,like most here, that Atogwe will get tagged,and Bartell will be a priority re-signing. I sure hope so.If there's money to be spent on D, we need to start there. Whether DL or LB is the next priority, I can't even guess, but there's no point in robbing Peter to pay Paul, as grandma used to say.

I also hope Hill will be given another chance. Injuries and an anaemic pass rush have clouded any fair analysis of the guy.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Thanks a lot for the answers but I don't believe we can count on an undrafted DT who has made 4 total tackles in 3 seasons in our future. If you believe we would take a cheaper DT over Raji, then wouldn't Ron Brace also be an option in the 3rd round?

And why I was asking about Tye Hill was because I think Dominique Johnson from Jackson State (and Missouri) could be a great pick. He reminds me a lot of Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, a first round CB in last year's draft. They are both 6'2 190, with 4.3 40 speed, and both from small schools. Johnson would need some work since he is not as fundementally sound as DRC, but he would be avaliable in the 3rd round so I could see him being a possibility. He had 9 career interceptions in 2 seasons at Jackson State. If we can't sign Ron Bartell then there would be another reason to draft him.
    Last edited by iStillBelieve; -01-27-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't want Raji with the first round pick. We could EASILY get another DT in a later round. Look at Ryan! He's a pretty decent player who came in a later round. There are many options.

I think Spags will figure a way to get our defensive line steady. I see Long, Little and Carriker staying where they are. This is of course unless a younger talent takes Little's spot. Which I really don't see happening.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Glad you started this D-Line talk. does anyone know more about Burton or Willy Williams? To me, DT and MLB are our bigest needs on defense. Some Im sure will argue but how will we win without stoping the run first?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Everyone, I'm going to keep saying this man's name to keep everyone informed who won all the awards for D1 defensive player of the year. His name is Brian Orakpo DE Texas. Now, I did not go to school here, I really have no allegiance to UT other than living in Austin but this guy could possibly be a can't miss candidate.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

I have no problem with DE's, but I asked about DT's.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Oh sorry, the thread starter said D line.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Oh sorry, the thread starter said D line.
    Exactly what confused me when the OP responded to my answer, esp when he seems to want to talk even more about CBs and LBs!

istillbelieve;
    I tried to answer the questions you posed specifically. I never said Burton was THE guy we could or should count on solely. Brace in RD3 is a viable option to pair with him but that's not what you asked.

I'm basing my guesses about the DeSpags plan for DL-and that's all they are- on what Devaney has said on the subject; we need to get bigger all around, Long is better suited to LDE, & the DL is not the top priority.

Then add Spags' general philosophical concepts about a football team. Raji's lack of commitment to his college team is just as disturbing,if not more so, than Wroten's to ours.

Your thread title is DL, then you give examples of options for CB. Maybe good ones,I dunno, but you didn't ask for draft alternatives or even offer yours in the OP. Not a good way to start a productive conversation,imo.

The secondary is indeed an area where we have a bunch of unknowns, albeit in different ways; Hill,Brown, Bartell, Atogwe,Manning,King,etc that BD will possibly want to let play themselves out in the contract negotiators office,TC,and regular season before allocating our limited funds to seek out other unknowns in the higher rounds of the draft.

Tx; Orakpo is a great speed rusher whose strength won't be against the run at the NFL level. Since BD is hinting at a move to LDE for Long, do you think #2 money would be well spent replacing Hall and/or Adeyanju with him?

Isn't he the Vernon Gholston of 2009? ie, a very good athlete with a narrow skill set and questionable motor; a bit of a "tweener" project rather than a cornerstone or immediate impact player at DE ?
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-27-2009 at 06:46 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I don't think we seriously need a starter I think Carriker and Ryan will be fine, we just need to add a big body to the group. I don't think it has to be expensive as Raji. I think we could just go after a good decent priced big body like Collin Cole of the packers.