Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Depth at OT spot could be a big factor in determining Rams' choice.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Depth at OT spot could be a big factor in determining Rams' choice.

Nobody would contest that the Rams have a lot of needs, and that OT and WR are at the top of the list. Assuming that these positions are to be filled with picks 2 and 33, it makes a lot more sense to select a WR (Justin Blackmon) first and then fill the OT spot at #33. The reason is simple: depth at the positions.

I have only three WRs with a first round grade: Blackmon, Alshon Jeffrey and Michael Floyd.

By contrast, there are now (with underclassmen declaring) as many as six OTs with a first round grade:

Matt Kalil, USC
    Jonathan Martin, Stanford
    Riley Reiff, Iowa
    Zebrie Sanders, FSU
    Mke Adams, Ohio State
    Kelechi Oselme, Iowa State

While runs on OTs in round 1 are not unusual, I think there is a good chance that one or two of these players could be available with the #33 pick. Waiting until the pick to take a WR, on the other hand, could shut the Rams out of the opportunity to take one of the top prospects.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Depth at OT spot could be a big factor in determining Rams' choice.

I like your reasoning as it squares with my fervent hope that we draft Justin Blackmon. While there is extensive talk here and on other mock drafts about our drafting a tackle, I honestly think our needs are on the interior spots such as guard and center. I hope that we sign Carl Nicks as a LG during the FA period as I don't think the Saints can afford Evans and Nicks. On the draft front if Peter Konz declares for the draft I hope he drops to #33, although most mocks have the Lions taking him to replace Raiola.

Despite these comments I think we'll be trading our #2 pick for more picks in rounds 2 & 3. Of course the combine will have a huge impact on where players will be taken.

Go Rams!

I like Oselme as a possible #33 pick. He is big (345 lbs.) and could play on the left or right side.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I like Oselme as a possible #33 pick. He is big (345 lbs.) and could play on the left or right side.
    What about Levi Adcock for RT? Although if we draft Blackmon, I somehow doubt we draft 2 players from the same school.

Go Rams!

Adcock has a good resume, particularly in pass blocking, and I like his size. I wonder, though, if he might be a guy you could get at pick number 66.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Osmele is actually a better fit for an OG. Plus, how many of these guys are fit to play LT? Not many. But im assuming that you think Saffold can stay at LT. I think Saffold can stay at LT, and I honestly still think Smith can play RT, as long as his contract is fixed.

Oselme's fit depends on the system. If we hire Jeff Fisher and become more of a power running team, he'd be great at the RT spot with Saffold (who I have not lost faith in) at the LT spot.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Different people will rank guys in different spots and we still have along way to go

I would give Blackmon, Floyd, and Jeffery definite first round grades and Kendall Wright and Mohamed Sanu borderline first round grades

I would give Kalil, Martin, and Reif definite first round first round grades and Zebrie Sanders and Mike Adams a border line grade. Osemale is more of a guard or RT to me

In my book its dead even between WR and OT depth at this point and if it stays that way it would come down to who we think is the better player at number 2

thillis is offline Registered User

With the #33 pick we could pick up an OT like we did with Saffold who slid down. I am still a big fan of that pick, even with his struggles this year. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Smith turned it around with a new coaching staff.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This may go without saying, but I think a big factor is also what the new regime thinks of Saffold.

If they believe he's a starting-caliber tackle who just had a bad year, then yes, you can take a guy at the top of Round Two who may not have great left tackle potential but could be a very solid right tackle.

But if they aren't sold on him as being this team's left tackle of the future, then it may increase the need at the position. While Osemele & Sanders may be there at the top of round two, they may not be considered great left tackle prospects, forcing the Rams to address that need earlier.

So the new staff/regime's evaluation of Saffold will play a big role as well, I believe. But that's probably not saying something everyone wasn't already thinking.

richtree is offline Registered User

AV, I agree with you ....these 3 WR are by far and away the top 3 -- OT's I don't know so much....also, Zebrie Sanders, FSU - doesn't he seem like a RT only in the NFL ? ? ?

I only know that because I am big FSU fan......I also think there are a few WRs that can fly up the board....

the kid from Miami is one.....

I also think that trading down (to get more picks) will allow us to trade up from our 2nd Round pick to get 2 first round picks.....

THE END DECISION MAY BE, "DO THE RAMS WANT PICK #2 AND #34 OR PICK # 6 AND #22 (FOR EXAMPLE)

thillis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

THE END DECISION MAY BE, "DO THE RAMS WANT PICK #2 AND #34 OR PICK # 6 AND #22 (FOR EXAMPLE)
    If it were up to me I would take 6 and 22. Take Richardson at #6 and either jeffrey or floyd at #22 if one of them is still there which I would think they would be.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

^ how would we get 6 and 22? 6 is the Redskins and 22 the bengals?

As for taking Kalil or Blackmon. Sure there are only a fw wide receivers with first round grades but guys like Sanu, Kendall Wright, Dwight Jones and Marvin Mcnutt are legit playmakers wit late first or early second round projections.

I am leaning towards Blackmon and then Mike Adams in the 2nd round but would be happy with Kalil and Sanu also. Shoot there's a dozen combinations that would make me happy. With as many holes as we have I'd be happy with a lot of different possibilities.