Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Despite Combine Non-Performance, Crabtree is Growing On Me

I'm not ready to join the "draft Michael Crabtree" contingent at this point, but the more I see of him on film, the more I like what I see.

For all the comparisons to Larry Fitzgerald, Crabtree appears to me to be more of a unique type of receiver.

He's not a "vertical" guy who, at full stride, is going to leave NFL CBs in his dust. Rather, his strength is his ability to explode of the line and make great lateral moves to create space in short patterns. That said, I wouldn't call him a mere "possession receiver," as he also has a knack for catching the ball in stride and gaining significant yards after the catch.

In a sense, I see a better comparison, as far as style of receiver goes, to Wes Welker. Of course, Crabtree would be a much bigger and stronger version of Welker.

The Rams could use that type of player. While Avery is a big play threat who will always be a concern to opposing free safeties, Crabtree could be the guy who is nearly automatic on 3rd and 6, and will break short passes for big gains.

I still think that the Rams have more pressing needs, but right now, I have Crabtree at #5 on my draft board, which means I do see him at least as a viable option with the second pick.

Of course... its still two months until the draft.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Despite Combine Non-Performance, Crabtree is Growing On Me

Av my man you are finally sounding like a smart guy, and you'll soon come over to the "dark side" of the draft (meaning that you too will want to draft Mr. Crabtree.

When you think of it it's a perfect fit considering a few things:
    a. We will now be running at least a version of WCO which needs this type of receiver.

b. We struggled to score points and to remain on the field when we got to 3rd down.

c. We are short of proven, solid recievers and lack the money to go after the big names ex. T.J. whosyamomma

d. Guys this talented DO NOT come around often, so if we have a chance to draft him (much like we did in 1999 with Torry Holt) then it is a solid move considering the numerous holes we have on our team/we might as well draft the best available player and move on from there. Keep in mind that Crabtree is #1 on almost everyones value boards in the draft.

e. I'm a curry fan to since I've seen him in action while I worked near Wake Forest, but he projects to be a OLB and we do not need that. We forced a fit with Carriker and we are still suffering because of it.

f. After the disaster that was Andre Smith in the sideline (who I said after the SEC championship game was overrated and people laughed at me), and after the sub-par performances of the other lineman (Oher, Monroe); there is no need to draft a lineman this high now. We can find a perfectly servicable steal in the 2nd round at this juncture.

g. We struggled on offense last year I could give you all the numbers and the averages but that would be pointless at this time. Yes part of it was the O-line but the group as a whole improved towards the end of the year and we still struggled offensively, and say what you want about a Stephen being hurt & lacking a TE (after Randy was injured AGAIN), but we all know that a huge part of it was the play of our WR's (failing to make blitz adjustments, poor route running, etc).

h. Torry is likely gone today or tomorrow, at this point in time he looks like he's 36 years old on the field. He lacks burst, he's starting to drop balls, he lacks break away speed now. It's obvious that the knee surgeries have affected him horribly. This is sad because we are from the same area, and I love the guy.

In today's NFL you need atleast 3 WR's and if you give me Crabtree, Avery, and Burton in the slot.....tell me that's not a potentially explosive combination.

In the end I suppose "potentially" is the key word here.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He's has Terrell Owens talent. I've seen him play a bunch living in Texas and he's always reminded me of T.O. without the attitude.

The way I see it, if the Rams lose Pace and Holt, they have needs at OT and WR, but the need at OT is greater.

What sounds worse?

Opening day WRs: Avery and Burton
    Opening day OTs: Barron and Goldberg

Right now, I look at it as a race among the best player available (Curry), the best interior lineman available (Raji), the best OTs available (Monroe, J.Smith), and Crabtree (arguably the second BPA).

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Barron and Goldberg go together like IRS and Audit

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The way I see it, if the Rams lose Pace and Holt, they have needs at OT and WR, but the need at OT is greater.

What sounds worse?

Right now, I look at it as a race among the best player available (Curry), the best interior lineman available (Raji), the best OTs available (Monroe, J.Smith), and Crabtree (arguably the second BPA).
    We will not loose Pace, mark that down, now Torry is another story.
    Now the top picks on all the draft boards are:
    1. Crabtree
    2. Curry

And we don't need an OLB, and we can find a servicable RT in the later rounds as well. However you do bring up a good point with the interior lineman position, but we are not going to take a DT with pick number 2 so in the end Crabtree is the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    1. Crabtree
    2. Curry
    All draft boards? Hardly.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

What sounds worse?

U sure you want me to answer that?

Avery a slot WR playing the number 1 WR role = Az Hakim playing WR for Det.
    Burton a 4th WR playing the number 2 WR role = another stl. rams 3 and out.

The tackle situation is evident.

But I'm not quite sure enough people understand the importance with those guys being the WR's. Our defense is bad, espc. against the run. But also a contributing factor has been how many 3 and outs the Rams had last yr. It was pathetic! Get a WR that can convert 3rd downs, rest the D so it doesn't look as bad, and play competive ball. We address the line, the skill guys playing outside their "natural" position will still translate to 3 and outs. DELETED CONTENT - INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE (MASKING IT DOES NOT MAKE IT OKAY)
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-26-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    U sure you want me to answer that?

Avery a slot WR playing the number 1 WR role = Az Hakim playing WR for Det.
    Burton a 4th WR playing the number 2 WR role = another stl. rams 3 and out.
    I don't agree that Avery is a "slot WR." I think he's at least a #2, and could develop into a #1. As for Burton, I think the jury's still out, but I would not presume he is no better than a #4.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ManoGod
    1. Crabtree
    2. Curry
    If by All, you mean All draft boards put together by ManoGod....
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MarshallMarshall Guest

What sounds worse?

All True, except Imo even if we don't lose Holt we will still have a need at WR. But your right OT trumps every need.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

I feel that the slot is where Avery is the most deadly at. He could play the #2 role...but I feel if you want to put maximum pressure on the opposing teams defense that's where his role should be. Plus when you factor in that he is inconsistent slot is more natural IMO. I'm curious as to where everyone else on the board thinks Avery should be at. As for Burton, I guess we'll both just agree to have the jury be out on him still.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Plus when you factor in that he is inconsistent slot is more natural IMO.
    Inconsistent? How so?
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-26-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Avery's biggest strength is his ability to put pressure on opposing defenses with his speed in the vertical passing game. That is a role performed from the outside, not the slot.

His production as a rookie indicated that he can be an effective starting WR on the outside.

Adding a guy like Crabtree would be beneficial, as they do different things that compliment each other. You could, for example, line them up on the same side of the field, have Avery go deep and draw out the FS, thereby opening up the middle for Crabtree. If Crabtree is burning opposing CBs one on one, he'd demand double teams which would open things up for Avery.

All that said, if Bulger has no time to throw, the rest doesn't matter much.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Crabtree is a guy that we really don't need right now. Sure, if we pick him, it might attract more people to watch games. But who cares? Just because we have Crabtree, doesn't mean we will win more games. If the o-line is not addressed and solidified first, Crabtree is not going to be of much help. Sure, Bulger will throw a couple of lucky passes to Crabtree when the line plays almost decently for a couple plays, but then he will be sacked again and again.

Avery IMO would be better in the number two role than in the slot. Burton could be a potential slot possession receiver. Don't be quick to judge that Avery and Burton will not turn out to be great receivers.

Curry is already projected to have a smooth transition to the MLB position. That may or may not happen, but we certainly can't ignore his athletcism, ball skills, play-making skills, tackling ability, coverage skills, and aggressive nature while playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast