Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Detroit Fans Chanting Curry's Name

Fans clamor for Aaron Curry at uniform unveiling

Fans at unveiling call for Curry

The people's choice appears to be Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry. But will he be the Lions' No. 1 overall choice when the NFL draft starts Saturday?

Fans chanted Curry's name during Monday's unveiling of the Lions' new logo. They also chanted for the Lions to avoid Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford.

But while he said he appreciated the fans' passion and wanted their opinion, team president Tom Lewand gave no indication the Lions would take their advice.

"I think what's important for us is that we listen to our scouts and our coaches and the people who have done the work and watched the tape on these guys, whether they're quarterbacks or defensive linemen or offensive linemen," Lewand said. "We've had people who know the game of football watching every game of their collegiate careers, doing a lot of work behind the scenes off the field -- the comprehensive evaluations necessary to give us the best chance to make the right pick for our organization."

Lewand said that while the short term matters, the long term is most important.

"If we look just at next year, I think that's shortsighted," Lewand said. "I think we need to look at -- whether it's the first pick, the 20th pick, the 33rd pick, the 82nd pick -- you need to look at guys who can come in and contribute long-term for this franchise, and that's the goal.

"When we talk about building our franchise through the draft, that's what you look at."

Fans clamor for Aaron Curry at uniform unveiling | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Detroit Fans Chanting Curry's Name

If they draft Curry, I'm probably going to literally cry.

I just can't see it happening, maybe it's because I don't want it to happen. But it seems as if they got much bigger needs.
    RamsFan16