RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Detroit Fans want Curry #1 Overall

Quote Originally Posted by OwenXVI a Detroit fan
    Lions' fans aren't split. We want Curry, just as evidenced by the PrideofDetroit.com poll, and the detroitlions.com poll. The NFL.com poll is from NFL fans, ... including Bears' fans, and Viking fans, and Packer fans, etc.
    The majority of Detroit fans want them to take Curry #1 overall. Stafford was their second option and J. Smith their 3rd option. In the prideofdetroit.com poll it shows Curry with 51% of the vote and the next highest was Stafford with 21%. It seems pretty overwhelming that the majority of their fan base wants Curry. I did not find the results from the detroitlions.com poll but it sounds like their fans are overwhelmingly for Curry.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-19-2009 at 12:03 PM.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: Detroit Fans want Curry #1 Overall

Them and every other team.
    They just traded for Peterson and need O-line and a QB so I can't see them getting Curry, but who knows with the Lions. I'm still expecting Crabtree at number 1.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I can't imagine why they'd feel that way...

My impression is that very few fan bases as a whole really want their team to draft a high first round quarterback unless he's an absolute sure thing, which they never are. Curry does not make financial sense for the Lions, nor does me make sense considering they already have two very talented linebackers in Sims and Peterson. I'll be quite surprised if he's the pick there. I think it's Stafford, with Jason Smith still in the mix to try and keep Stafford from being unreasonable in contract talks.

I doubt the Lions take Curry #1 overall but the fans are overwhelmingly thinking he is better fit for their team then Stafford or J. Smith which many believe it has come down to those three.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Guys, is Curry really that good or is he just better than the what some consider the worst top 10 array of talent in this years NFL Draft?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Guys, is Curry really that good or is he just better than the what some consider the worst top 10 array of talent in this years NFL Draft?
    But does that really even matter? We have to play the cards we are dealt. In my opinion he is better than anyone else the Rams can select, which is why I have been "campaigning" for him all this time. Will he turn into a HoFer? No one can answer that. Is he worth all the money he will be collecting? It doesn't matter, because there is not a rookie cap in place so someone is going to be getting all that green, and it might as well be the BP in the draft.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    The majority of Detroit fans want them to take Curry #1 overall. Stafford was their second option and J. Smith their 3rd option. In the prideofdetroit.com poll it shows Curry with 51% of the vote and the next highest was Stafford with 21%. It seems pretty overwhelming that the majority of their fan base wants Curry. I did not find the results from the detroitlions.com poll but it sounds like their fans are overwhelmingly for Curry.
    Let's hope the Lions listen to their fans and select Curry! The two top QBs, the two top OTs, and Crabtree still on the board when the Rams pick .. hmmm .. could make things interesting ...

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    But does that really even matter? We have to play the cards we are dealt. In my opinion he is better than anyone else the Rams can select, which is why I have been "campaigning" for him all this time. Will he turn into a HoFer? No one can answer that. Is he worth all the money he will be collecting? It doesn't matter, because there is not a rookie cap in place so someone is going to be getting all that green, and it might as well be the BP in the draft.

Yes, it does matter. I don't want to see the Rams pay 2nd selection money to someone who may come off on passing downs. Curry may turn out to be a decent pass rusher who knows? However, he wasn't in college and to pay someone that much money to just play on rushing downs is crazy.

Yes, it does matter. I don't want to see the Rams pay 2nd selection money to someone who may come off on passing downs. Curry may turn out to be a decent pass rusher who knows? However, he wasn't in college and to pay someone that much money to just play on rushing downs is crazy.
    From everything I have seen and read, he is an every down linebacker. Certainly his lack of speed will not keep him from covering the opposition's TE or RB. But if it is a pass rusher you want, then I see no better evaluator than our new head coach.

Would you rather pay all that money to a left tackle that is unproven out of a three point stance or one that does not finish off his blocks? (of course just playing devil's advocate, because neither one of us knows if Curry can't rush the passer, smith is unable to block when he is not in his two point, or that monroe doesn't have a killer instinct and has bad knees)

IF Curry is the BEST, then that means he can play the opponent's pass, if he can't, well then that would greatly affect his stock, much like it has for Rey Malauga. I completely see your argument, but I do not believe Curry is the type of player you have described. If he is, then hopefully our FO notices that too, and passes on the one dimensional linebacker.

Man I thought I was going to stop arguing about our first round pick

Cmon CMOB...you know this never stops. Especially with me. I really don't care. Heck, I'm the unofficial official Secretary of ClanRam Defense. If Curry can rush the passer and the Rams select him at 2 and he becomes the next coming of Mike Singletary (do like him as a player better than Ray Lewis) then I will be estatic. I've said plenty of times before if I really knew what I was talking about on this site most of the time I wouldn't be here. I'd have a job on a NFL team but I don't. I really haven't seen Curry play, have you?

Cmon CMOB...you know this never stops. Especially with me. I really don't care. Heck, I'm the unofficial official Secretary of ClanRam Defense. If Curry can rush the passer and the Rams select him at 2 and he becomes the next coming of Mike Singletary (do like him as a player better than Ray Lewis) then I will be estatic. I've said plenty of times before if I really knew what I was talking about on this site most of the time I wouldn't be here. I'd have a job on a NFL team but I don't. I really haven't seen Curry play, have you?

Ummm... I have seen his highlights and heard experts gush over him... (runs away with his head between his knees )

I totally agree with you that us fans are not capable of picking who is best for our team. If it were easy enough for us to do it, then there would be no such thing as busts and no need for GMs and scouts. Pretty much I am more of a supporter for the BPA then for Curry. It just so happens I think he is the best player in the draft , now I don't have any substantial evidence to support him as the BPA, just from what I read on here and watch on Sports Center (gasps).

In Devaney I trust.

Stuck with NFL Draft's top pick, Detroit Lions in tough spot

Without an obvious choice at the top of the NFL Draft board and with many holes to fill, it's a mystery what the Lions will do.

BY DAVID J. NEAL

Miami Herald

After having the season that nobody wants, they have the pick that nobody wants for an NFL Draft in which nobody clearly towers over his peers as a franchise linchpin. Well, except for maybe the top player at the one position on which they have overdosed.

How the Detroit Lions handle the dilemma of the No. 1 overall pick Saturday will determine player and franchise fortunes around the NFL world.

Lions fans want Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and made sure the Detroit brass knew by chanting Curry's name at Monday's unveiling of a new Lions logo.

Defense would seem an obvious start after the Lions had the same number of wins -- zero -- as teams below them in total defense, yards allowed per play, rush defense, rush yards per play, pass yards per play and points allowed per game.

Detroit president Tom Lewand jokingly tried to deflect the Curry chants, but it is generally accepted that the Lions will take Curry, Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford or Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith.

Although Stafford and USC's Mark Sanchez have the consensus top two positions on the quarterback charts, neither makes NFL scouts and coaches giddy across the board the way, say, Philip Rivers, Jay Cutler or either Manning (Peyton or Eli) did in their draft years. In fact, neither is considered quite NFL ready.

If the Lions don't take Sanchez, he could bobsled down the first round the way Cal's Aaron Rodgers did in 2005 when San Francisco went with Alex Smith No. 1 overall. Rodgers wound up going to Green Bay at No. 19 (lucky for Rodgers, as it turned out). Sanchez's short collegiate résumé injects more uncertainty into an already uncertain choice. Misses outnumber hits when it comes to high first-round picks spent on quarterbacks and the odds only get worse as you move down the draft.

''The Detroit Lions situation has nothing to do with Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez and how good they are,'' former Baltimore coach Brian Billick said in an NFL Network conference call Monday. ``The Detroit Lions were 0-16 and all that comes with it. If you take a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick with the history that has been shown, if you're the Detroit Lions, can you survive that?

``You can't consider that when you make your evaluations and go forward, but it's silly to think you can do that in a vacuum. It's a very interesting pick.''

It's a very expensive pick. Nowadays, the guaranteed money involved has turned teams off to having the No. 1 pick so much so that nobody wants to trade into the spot, even in the best of draft years. The cost in time and money is prohibitive should a team whiff on a quarterback as Detroit did with Joey Harrington at No. 3 in 2002.

Which is why the Lions might do what the Dolphins did last year: make the safe pass and invest in an offensive left tackle. The Dolphins took Michigan's Jake Long No. 1 overall and took care of their quarterback situation in the second round with Long's college teammate, Chad Henne.

But which tackle, should the Lions go that route? Smith or Virginia's Eugene Monroe?

''Best left tackle, best feet of any tackle in the draft,'' NFL Network draft analyst Mike Maycock said of Monroe on a conference call. ``His feet remind me of [Cleveland's] Joe Thomas. And, in the NFL, the one thing I've learned is that at the left tackle position, the run blocking is not as big a deal. You better protect your quarterback and I think Monroe is the best pass protection tackle in the draft.''

And it's not as if the Lions defense couldn't use help, which is why fans
    want Curry.

''It's easier to draft when you're 1-15 because you need everything,'' said Charley Casserly, who handled the 2006 No. 1 overall pick as Houston's general manager. ``You're always taking the best player available.''

Many scouts and pseudo-scout draftniks think the best player available is Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree. But about the only certainty regarding the Lions are they won't use the pick on a wide receiver for the fifth time in seven drafts.

Well, that and Lions fans won't react to the pick with ``Fire Millen!''
    This report was supplemented with material from Miami Herald wire services.

It sounds like the Detroit FO is receiving a lot of pressure from the fans to take Curry. If the FO don't take Curry they better hit with their pick this time or they are really going to PO what fans they have left.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-20-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, NFL teams aren't democracies. Detroit's goal shouldn't be to choose whomever the fans want but to build a winning football program. Sometimes those things may overlap, but sometimes they won't. Teams shouldn't yield to the decision of a fan base; their decisions need to be based on their scouting and evaluations.

I did find it interesting that Mayock compared Monroe's footwork to Joe Thomas. Mayock's recently updated Top 20 features Monroe at the top of the board.