Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Devaney discusses the Combine.

Billy Devaney 1380 Interview

Haven't heard it yet...it's loading really slow so I decided to download it. Thought I'd share it because I'm sure you're all interested!

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

Re: Devaney discusses the Combine.

There is a unusually long load timer on the player. Whats the link for the download? or the link to the site thats histing it?

It's all the traffic it's getting, it has nothing to do with the website that hosts it. I've been downloading it for over forty-five minutes now...it's still at 93% if you can believe it.

djdeeznutz Guest

I listened to the first 15 minutes and he is kinda of saying that Crabtree will be wearing a Rams cap and holding a Rams Jersey come draft day.

He said (and i dont perfectly quote) "if there is a WR (or LB) that is graded high and has a seperation from the other positions than we will go that route."

We all know Crabtree is in a World on his own when it comes to the draft.

My grades would be:

Crabtree: 101
    Monroe:97
    A.Smith:96
    Curry:96
    BJ Raji: 96
    J. Smith: 94

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm listening to it now and am typing up notes. I'll post them when I'm done in this thread.

EDIT: By the way...

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    I listened to the first 15 minutes and he is kinda of saying that Crabtree will be wearing a Rams cap and holding a Rams Jersey come draft day.
    I've now listened to the whole thing and am finalizing my notes, and I think you've really read too much into what he said if this is what you think.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.

He said (and i dont perfectly quote) "if there is a WR (or LB) that is graded high and has a seperation from the other positions than we will go that route."
    He was talking about that with regards to free agency and what would be done once they get back from the combine. They haven't finished grading all the potential FA's yet and he was commenting on their needs. If he was actually talking about the draft, I stand corrected. But I'm sure that response came after Bernie asked him about what his plan of attack for free agency was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    He was talking about that with regards to free agency and what would be done once they get back from the combine. They haven't finished grading all the potential FA's yet and he was commenting on their needs. If he was actually talking about the draft, I stand corrected. But I'm sure that response came after Bernie asked him about what his plan of attack for free agency was.
    The question was for Devaney to outline a draft and free agency wish list, but the statement you've quoted was about the draft and their willingness to take a guy at a position of lesser need if he's graded significantly above other players at that spot. He then went on to say they don't have grades on these guys and will begin to assign them after the combine and the workouts, so I'd say he was talking about rookies.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

You are reading into this too much. I think he was saying more along the line that Crabtree and Curry are definately in the conversation along with the tackles.

Here's my summary....

-Bernie says he changes his mind every other day on who the Rams should draft. Devaney agrees that there are a lot of ways they could go. He said it hasn’t come close to taking shape yet. One team picks ahead of them, and they’re not sure what the Lions will do, so there are a whole bunch of possibilities. The next 60+ days will be them going through process and putting together the pieces of puzzle. The combine is a step, not as big/important as people think it is, but it is a piece of the puzzle.

-The Rams Combine delegation will be 44 people, including scouts, coaches, interns, medical people, video people… says that’s about average for NFL teams.

-Devaney said that a % of guys, usually the high profile ones, for whatever reason won’t run 40s. Some of their reasons are valid but most are bogus (ie. out of shape, want to run on their own surface). He said it kind of annoys him but isn’t unexpected. The biggest thing they gain is medical information, because prospects get evaluated from top to bottom. Devaney said there will probably be 4-5 guys who almost flunk their physical because they have conditions they don’t know they were playing with that never caused them problems or weren’t tested; those problems will show up because they’re tested head to toe there.

-On Crabtree not running 40, Devaney says it doesn’t factor in, it’s a mild annoyance. Who knows if his ankle is still sore, but he says it is and that’s all you can go by. Figures everybody in the league will head to Texas to watch him at his pro day anyways. Devaney said if you’re fast, you don’t mind showing it and run at the combine. If you’re unsure, you might want to try to put yourself in ideal condition to run. He said he doesn’t make a big deal about the 40, because 90% of their evaluations come from the game tape. Devaney says Crabtree plays like a fast guy. So hypothetically if on tape he looks like a 4.4 guy and then he goes and runs a 4.55 forty, it’s not going to make “a hell of a lot of difference” according to him. The guy is still a tremendous football player. Kids stress out over 40 more than they should, it’s a small piece of Rams’ evaluation.

-Regarding offensive tackles, the other host says 3-4 of them are so good, how do you get separation between them? Devaney says the tapework will separate them. Are you sure one can play LT? If two can, and third can’t, that causes separation. Size-wise, are you worried about one being able to anchor? They’ll spend time with all of them in personal interviews, then will go for their personal workouts, talk to their coaches and other people who have touched them in their career. Then they take them out to dinner and bring them to St. Louis as well. They’ll spend a lot of time trying to get to know these guys. He says if it’s close, it might just come down a coach saying “I think this guy will do well in our locker room” or vice versa, “I’m just not sure about this guy, don’t think he’s the right fit.” He calls it the feeling that the coach, scout, head coach, and himself have about players.

-Bernie talks about character and how it matters in evaluation. Devaney says he met with coaches to go over college forms, but at the bottom of the form he emphasized to the new coaching staff that they’re looking for smart, passionate, productive players. Not going to deviate from that. As coaches talk to guys and watch them, look for smart and passionate guys. Productive can be seen on their tape. As they’re interviewing, these are the kind of guys they want to bring into the building. Smart guys means knowing what it takes to become NFL players on and off field, how to take notes in meeting, carry yourself off the field, etc. Not “slappies” who just show up and like paycheck w/o putting much into it.

-Bernie asks about free agency, says Rams have cap issues, are they getting closer to decisions? Devaney doesn’t think the cap situation is as bad as Benrie thinks. Whatever decision they make, they think they can make it just on football and not necessarily on cap neediness. Obviously salary is a consideration but usually it comes down to salary and production. And the Rams aren’t in bad enough cap shape to have to get rid of 3 guys to sign a couple, that’s not the case. But there are decisions that need to be made about some guys that have high cap numbers, and production wise whether it’s still a fit for the Rams.

-Bernie asks Devaney what his draft & free agency wish-list of priorities would be. Devaney says they haven’t zeroed in on anyone but want to get bigger on both lines as well as bigger as a team in general. He says he wants to address OL in free agency and the draft. Devaney says that if it winds up being a linebacker with the highest grade and there’s a significant difference between him and OL or WR, we can go that route. Or if it’s a receiver graded up there and there’s a gap between a lineman or defensive end, they’d take the receiver. But they’re not at that point and don’t have final grades on the prospects. He said they have them sorted into general area but grades will come after the combine and workouts. That will create separation for the pick.

-Devaney is hoping that new leadership and Spags’ reputation is enticing to free agents. Players where he came from loved playing for him, and that will be part of their selling point especially for defensive players – “Talk to so-and-so and see what it’s like playing for this guy in this scheme.” Devaney thinks that will be a selling point.

-One attribute to describe coaching staff – juice. High energy, younger staff. He said he’d even include Sylvester [Croom] in that description because he has a lot of energy.

-Bernie asks how Devaney and Kevin Demoff will work together. Devaney says it’s a great addition, and he can’t say on the cusp of free agency what a difference the agent community feels about dealing with the Rams and Kevin. Kevin is handling contract negotiations, keeps track of the cap, said he’s in with personnel meetings so they can tell him how to prioritize players (who are primary, secondary, etc), and he’ll try to get them signed. Spags and Devaney kind of work together on personnel with suggestions from coaches but at end of the day, Kevin will work business side and Devaney handles football operations part. It won’t be a situation where Devaney wants someone and Demoff vetoes it. If Devaney says it, it’s not just him but a consensus with coaches and pro scouts about who is the best guy. Demoff is a consummate team guy; if that’s the guy they want, he’ll go for it. Great, great set-up, not even close to the old “warring factions” attitude.

-Devaney’s initial opinions on Jeremy Maclin are that there’s no question he’s a guy that excites NFL teams. It surprises Devaney that there’s any discussion otherwise about this guy. He’s gonna be an impact guy. Devaney gets excited talking about Maclin as a return guy and a receiver. He’s going to be outstanding. Maclin can help himself at the combine in the sense that not everyone has been exposed to him. Missouri had so many good players senior-wise so a lot of people didn’t focus on Maclin in their early scouting. This is a chance for him to show for scouts. All eyes will be on him. He hasn’t been as thoroughly evaluated by NFL scouts, but Rams are very aware of him because of proximity.

-The other host asks for an example from the past of someone who helped himself at combine. Devaney talked about when Deion Sanders was coming out, and everyone knew who Primetime was and he showed tremendous speed on field. He bragged about how well he’d run. While his group was warming up, he had a hoodie on and was off by himself, headset on. Doing his own thing. Everyone said he wouldn’t run. The DBs lined up, they started running, Deion was still kind of listening to his headset. They called his name and he walked over, took his sweats off, touched the line and ran. Devaney said it might have been in the 4.19-4.2 range. He said Deion just kept running through the facility, through the hotel, got into his limo, and then flew back to Florida. It was the only thing he did at combine. He said he’d run under 4.3, he did it, then left. Funny story.

-Bernie asked him about Clayton’s report about the Rams’ interest in Vick. Devaney says they’re not allowed to talk about Vick because he’s still Falcons property. That’s the truth, he’s still on reserve list so they’re not able to talk about the guy.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Devaney was very careful to cover all the bases while sounding frank & sincere. You can't spin that interview as an endorsement for any player or position. I think he was as detailed as one would expect at this point which is pretty vague. The plan seems methodical and collaborative but with a clear chain of command. I like that. A lot.

Good to hear that Demoff is well-regarded.

I don't much care for Bernie but I hope the Springsteen thing bonds them so we can hear from Devaney more often.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Thanks for the synopsis Nick! Gotta spread some around before I can rep you again ..

Ben Boyd is offline Registered User

If you liked that interview you should check out the site it was posted on. Bernie has Jim Thomas on his show all the time and always has the latest on the Rams.

Also if you link to an interview please link to the page and not the audio directly.
    Thanks.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

thanks for the breakdown nick

Weddle is offline Registered User

Cheers Bald_81!

I really appreciate the link. The more links to interviews, audio or video, the better!

Really appreciated...

Weddle is offline Registered User

This is my summary of Devaney's interview taken from my YankeeDoodleBrit Blog

Over at ClanRam Bald_81 posted a great link to an audio download of Rams GM, Billy Devaney, talking on Bernie Miklasz’s radio show about the NFL Combine, Draft and Free Agency. Follow the link below to listen to the interview.

Here is a summary of what was discussed...

Devaney said that the Rams will be send 44 staff members to the combine, a variety of evaluators, coaches, video guys etcetera, which is a medium size team in comparison with other franchises. He added that the Rams ‘big board’ is “not close to taking shape yet” and that the Combine itself is only a “piece of the puzzle” and “not as important as people think”. He also added that 90% of player evaluation is one game tape, the Combine is NOT going to massively alter a players eventual grade.

He also discussed players not completing in all the positional drills and said that many choose to skip varying workouts for “bogus reasons”. Michael Crabtree’s decision to skip the 40 was raised and Devaney said it was a “mild annoyance” but added that he looks fast and is a “tremendous football player”.

Miklasz asked Devaney about how the Rams would evaluate the top for OT prospects which have separated as the ‘elite’ players and Devaney had several things to say. Firstly he said whether a Offense Tackle can play the left side was a big deal, as well as size issues. If a player is already at his maximum size, that may be an issue. He said that all four tackles will get personal interviews with the Rams and that he expected the scouts to attend their personal workouts at their respective colleges too where they would hopefully “have dinner”. The final stage would be to invite them to St Louis for further interviews and dinner. At the end of the day Devaney said it might come down to a “gut feeling” to separate them!

Talking in general about the Rams’ talent evaluation process he stressed that they would be looking for “smart, passionate, productive players”. When he said smart he explained that he didn’t mean high IQ smart or test-smart, but rather a serious and dedicated individual that took their pro-career seriously and wanted to succeed in the NFL.

Discussion moved onto combining Free Agency and Draft strategy to solve varying needs on the team and Devaney stated that both lines “need to get bigger”. When pushed about what grades the draft prospects have Devaney said,

“if a linebacker has the highest grade and there is a significant difference to an offensive lineman or receiver we can go that route, or if it is a receiver graded up there and there’s a gap between linemen or a defensive-end we’d take the receiver, we’re not at that point yet, we don’t even have final grades on these players yet, we have them in a general area, when we get back from the combine and after the workouts we’ll start putting grades on them and create separation.”

Miklasz then asked Devaney about Missouri wide-receiver Jeremy Macklin. Devaney replied that, “he is gonna be an impact guy” and “I get excited talking about Jeremy Macklin as a return guy and as a receiver.”

Of course the topic of Michael Vick was raised follow the Whiners supposed interest in him, but Devaney dodged the question as he is still listed as a Falcons player. He basically said that he was not allowed to talk about it.

Overall I think that Devaney came across well and emphasised that the Rams were still looking at their options. By floating comments in about possibly taking a receiver if he was graded highest it opens up possible trade dialogue with anyone who is ‘in love’ with Michael Crabtree. He also did the same with comments about linebackers, as Aaron Curry is regarded by many draftniks as the safest pick in this year’s class. His comments about judging players on their character were great to hear, especially his definition of “smart, passionate and productive” and I am confident that he’ll steer us to a good draft in ’09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast