RamWraith is offline Registered User

Devaney said Pick number two for sale

According to Great Blue North:

Newly hired St. Louis executive vice president of player personnel Billy Devaney is on record as saying that isn't against trading down from the #2 pick in this yearís opening round. Translated that means make us an offer, although Devaney added that the Rams arenít going to give the pick away. Earlier this year, Miami, which has the first pick overall, had also let it be known that the top pick could be had for the right price.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Devaney said Pick number two for sale

Good. If Chris Long is gone at that spot, I'd prefer to trade down and get better value. Not very likely someone bites, but you never know.

Makes you wonder, though, if the organization isn't blown away by the people they could have at that spot.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Makes you wonder, though, if the organization isn't blown away by the people they could have at that spot.
    That's right- in reality, who is there? Dorsey and Ellis are both great players, but they're not at a position of need, and we may be creating ourselves problems in regards to finding playing time for an abundance of tackles.

McFadden will most likely be the BPA, assuming he isn't taken, and there's no need there. Some have questioned how Jake Long will play as a pro. Gholston will really have to shine to be taken at pick 2.

I think if we were to trade down, a team would have to fall in love with either McFadden, or with Matt Ryan.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User
    Perhaps their perception of what is available will be altered during the combine. If I remember correctly, isn't that where they became smitten with AC?

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    That's right- in reality, who is there? Dorsey and Ellis are both great players, but they're not at a position of need, and we may be creating ourselves problems in regards to finding playing time for an abundance of tackles.

cropped.......
    If they chose to take either Ellis or Dorsey, AC could feasibly shift to DE. In this senario, I wouldn't be surprised if they took another DE later in the draft as a prospect. Afterall, Little is battling age and injuries.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-15-2008 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Merging back to back posts
    Semper Fi!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

IMO, it's a non-story. In the draft, every pick is FOR sale.....but none of them are ON sale. For the right price any team can have any pick.....that's why it's called the right price.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I find it hard to believe that anyone out there is really in a position to give the Rams real value in exchange for the second pick. People talk about Dallas, but why would the Rams want to make a playoff team in the NFC and potentially make them better in the process?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I find it hard to believe that anyone out there is really in a position to give the Rams real value in exchange for the second pick. People talk about Dallas, but why would the Rams want to make a playoff team in the NFC and potentially make them better in the process?
    AV, do you think that goes into the thought process on how the other team will be if you make the trade ? I am not sure so we should care what it does for Dallas and just make sure that the picks that we make improve the Rams chances of winning.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    AV, do you think that goes into the thought process on how the other team will be if you make the trade ? I am not sure so we should care what it does for Dallas and just make sure that the picks that we make improve the Rams chances of winning.
    I agree. If you feel the other team is over paying to get the draft pick, you are actually helping them by NOT trading with them.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    IMO, it's a non-story. In the draft, every pick is FOR sale.....but none of them are ON sale. For the right price any team can have any pick.....that's why it's called the right price.
    That is exactly right. Every one of the top picks is always up FOR sale. We need to make sure if we do trade that we still get the top player on OUR board. My fear is that our draft history makes us vulnerable to making a deal and then having to settle for someone because we miscalculated who would be available with that later pick.

I still hope we get Chris Long at #2! Go Rams!:r
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -02-15-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    If it does not go into the equation, it should. Why would you want to give the Cowboys, a team that was a couple of steps away from the Super Bowl last year, the opportunity to draft a guy like Darren McFadden?

If the Rams are going to make a deal, I'd rather it be with an AFC team, and perferrably a non-contender.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Perhaps their perception of what is available will be altered during the combine. If I remember correctly, isn't that where they became smitten with AC?

If they chose to take either Ellis or Dorsey, AC could feasibly shift to DE. In this senario, I wouldn't be surprised if they took another DE later in the draft as a prospect. Afterall, Little is battling age and injuries.
    I've said it before, I definitely think that if Long is gone, trading down or even possibly picking up one of the top two DT's at #2 is a possibility. AC did play end in college after all, and if he drops a little weight to become a little quicker, I think he could develop into an even better version of Justin Tuck than Justin Tuck. He could play end in 3-4 and end or tackle in 4-3, depending on the situation. On running downs, he plays end with Ryan and say Dorsey at tackle and then on passing downs he moves inside and we bring in Hall at end.

Another possibility is, depending on who gets the 3rd pick and if we feel like gambling is that we could let our time elapse and effectively trade down a spot so that we don't have to pay #2 money!

itsguud is offline Registered User

I love offseason!